cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So, who peed in the pool?

Fixes: 125

So, who peed in the pool?

Olympic pool turns a green colour

Looking more like water from the Amazon than regular pristine pool water, the diving continued regardless as the blue color slowly turned a dirty green. 

The five-metre deep diving pool - which was a normal blue colour during the men's event last night - appeared to slowly turn greener as the competition went on.

Not sure why we get the American spelling of colour, thoughRoll eyes

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

17 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: So, who peed in the pool?

Can't say I believe the algae explanation as the water still looks too transparent for that.

My money is on some joker just having a laugh.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I'd say it's the start of an algae bloom, left unchecked it will just become a big green pea (or is it pee?) soup that nobody would want to dive into, they best get the ol' chlorine out and turn up the filtration pumps... Grin

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

1) Did someone have these for Dinner ?

Peas.jpg

or

2) Someone put some fluorescein in the Pool

Community Veteran

Or the Russians trying to get their own back for all the booing they've been getting!!

Or even better, they're diluting their samples before testing.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

@petlew  SmileySmiley

And the water is still green tonight Roll eyes

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

The P is silent, as in swimming!

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
MattyC
Champion
Fixes: 46

Must have worked for us as we bagged a gold last night Cool

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
Minivanman
Hero

Apparently it has helped divers judge the distance to the water easier?

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

They've identified the problem as a lack of chlorine in the water and it is being treated.

When we have a chlorine problem at my club the water doesn't turn green and it only takes about 30 minutes to rectify.

Community Veteran

Cave tracing dye https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bailey-3589-Drain-Tracing-Dye/dp/B0041SUDHW will produce results like the pool.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Minivanman
Hero

Apparently the American spelling of words such as color for colour rather than being a mutation, has more to do with being closer to the original English than our own version which is closer to French. Talking of which, the same is said to be true in part as regards to French Canadian. 

Infinity
Pro

On July 4, 1776, the 13 American Colonies declared their independence from Great Britain. Cultural independence followed the political.

In 1783 Noah Webster, the first American lexicographer, began reforming certain spellings and (like George Bernard Shaw a century later) advocated further changes.

French-derived spellings — like "honour," "catalogue," and "centre" — were Anglicized to honor, catalog, and center.

In words where the "s" sounded like "z" or the "c" like an "s," the letters followed the sound: realize, defense, and so forth.

Infinity
Pro

AlaricAdair wrote:

Cave tracing dye https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bailey-3589-Drain-Tracing-Dye/dp/B0041SUDHW will produce results like the pool.

Infinity wrote:

Someone put some fluorescein in the Pool

Rio diving pool has now closed after the water turned a murky green

Apparently they planted the Grass early for the Tennis !!!!!

Infinity
Pro

Metro:

Rio Olympics organisers have finally discovered the reason the diving and water polo pools turned from clear blue to a murky green.

The change in colour, has been a huge embarrassment for organisers and the failure to understand why it happened only made matters worse.

It turns out that hydrogen peroxide was poured into the pools the day of the opening ceremony, causing the drastic colour change.

‘On the day of the Opening Ceremonies of the Games, 80 litres of hydrogen peroxide was put in the water,’ explained venue manager Gustavo Nascimento.

‘This creates a reaction to the chlorine which neutralises the ability of the chlorine to kill organics.’
A Rio spokesperson said that conditions then exacerbated the issue: ‘[The discolouration] was because of heat and a lack of wind. We did all the chemical tests.’

Daily Mail:

Rio chiefs use industrial pumps to suck out the dive pool's murky green water and refill it to make it blue again

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3739200/Olympic-chiefs-prepare-drain-replace-water-Rio-divin...