Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So who invented this then? ¤

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Yup, i've been looking at the ascii table - or rather the extended version over at: https://theasciicode.com.ar/extended-ascii-code/generic-currency-sign-ascii-code-207.html

I've not noticed it before however the symbol residing at 207 - ¤ - is a generic currency sign.

It's been in the extended ascii code for some years presumably.. so now i have to wonder who put it there but more importantly (conspiracy coming).... WHY?

Every country except europe has it's own currency.. and they all have their own keyboard layouts with their own currency symbols... so why do we need this one?

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
10 REPLIES 10
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: So who invented this then? ¤

Europe is not the only common currency area, the other common currency that springs to mind is the Eastern Caribbean dollar.  Most currencies don't have their own symbol, the three Scandinavian kroner/kronor for example.  The banks use a three-letter code but when you quote it to bank staff, they still demand to know which country you are talking about (but then these are the same staff who use a calculator to deduct 3000 from 30000!) 😀

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your question though, and although I use the tables when I need to use foreign letters, I've never noticed that symbol.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Of course.... there is one  common currency, that is used in the USA.....

Remember?   the country is made up of several "States".... hence the name.... United STATES of America...  almost like the EUnited States Of EUrope...

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Yep I believe that states can make their own laws and self govern themselves. The goverment can step in and overrule if they want to but they usually don't unless they feel they have to.

Canada is the same with its provinces.

Jonpe
Hero

I think that in international law The United States of America constitutes one state, like the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland does.  Should it be necessary by an international body to take some kind of action against any part of the USA, it would be against the United States of America, not against Louisiana or whatever.  Put simply, the word state has more than one meaning.  Have you never been in a bit of a state about something? 😀

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

That is kind of what I mean.

Externally they will act as one country, but internally they aren't.

How I wish life were that simple.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 32

@7up wrote:

Yup, i've been looking at the ascii table - or rather the extended version over at: https://theasciicode.com.ar/extended-ascii-code/generic-currency-sign-ascii-code-207.html

I've not noticed it before however the symbol residing at 207 - ¤ - is a generic currency sign.

Interesting, but I'm confused now. 😕

The site you quote, and one or two others I've looked at, say that the currency sign (scarab) is ASCII 207.

These two sites say it's ASCII 164, as does MS Word when I use the 'Insert Symbol'.

https://www.petefreitag.com/cheatsheets/ascii-codes/

https://everythingfonts.com/ascii/codes

Image1.jpg

A journey of a thousand sites begins with a single click.

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Ah yes but if you look closely, you have to type a zero before it - unlike 207.

¤ - that's 0164 and this is 207: ¤

Don't ask me why, i've no idea lol

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

@7up wrote:

As no names have been put forward in answer to that question, I'll suggest it was likely to have been that great Irish inventor, Pat Pending, whose name used to be seen printed on many a useful product.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

As to who invented it the acronym says it all surely, and of course they were just about 'first to the party' back on the early 60s so it was down to them to introduce some sort of coding system.

Must be a bit like asking who invented the English language. 😉

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
Jonpe
Hero

Remembering that the scarab had a special significance in ancient Egypt, I thought that perhaps it was used in hieroglyphics to denote their currency but a quick look at the relevant Wikipedia entry doesn't seem to mention anything like that.

This entry does, however, throw some light on the matter.  It dates back to 1972 it seems.