cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So, when does the weekend start?

johpal
Grafter

So, when does the weekend start?

On the 'Home' page of the community site today, is a round up of 'Plusnet in the News' posted at 13:24. It begins thus:
"So we reach the end of another week ..."
I'm at work (on a teabreak) and my week isn't due to finish for another hour, or so.  Wink
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: So, when does the weekend start?

We have contractors working for British Gas, in this area, they are replacing the main gas pipeline to every home.!  Nice big contract..... They start by marking out a square outside of your house,(on Monday)  then put the barriers around it, then they start to dig the hole, and it `s now Thursday. so ensure the barriers are safely established, and go home for the weekend ! !... Next week.... finish digging holes, in front of 5 or 6  houses, and then fill in the holes that were completed two weeks ago. Now it`s Thursday, so off home for the weekend.... Next week.... connect up 4 or 5 houses, and repeat the previous weeks, in rotation. until Thursday....  They filled in the hole, (outside my house yesterday)  Undecided  but did not tarmac it, nor tidy up, so they put the barriers round it again, blocking my access, and will be back on Monday....    Undecided 
Have a nice weekend ! ! Cheesy Grin Cheesy
jmd
Grafter

Shutter - that will stop you gadding about this weekend then - has your wife found some jobs for you? ;

ps the weekend starts after the EOD doesn't it - so if they do not post it until after 10pm [like a couple of weeks ago] then that is it!
nadger
Rising Star

Being retired it starts at noon on Friday and finishes at one minute before noon the following Friday Smiley
Just thought - it's rather like working for British Gas but the pay's lower  Tongue
James
Grafter

Do you still work 60 seconds per week?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 159

the weekend starts after the EOD doesn't it

w00t, the comms section of the EOD has already been sent to todays editor, does that mean I can go home(pub) now?Huh
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Staff
James
Grafter

Quote from: johpal
"So we reach the end of another week ..."

Technically, reach suggests coming towards, whereas "reached" would actually suggest that he weekend had started already.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

She is always finding jobs for me !.....    Undecided  that`s when the fun starts, and I find ways "not " to do them  Grin Grin Grin!....
No, unfortunately, the gas men filled in the hole, but left a space for the tarmac to go back in level,    Roll eyes  so ... although "technically" the drive is blocked, by the barriers, I will be able to move them, drive out , and move them back again....  Undecided {edit.... so that the pedestrians don`t trip and fall}  (I think she had a word about that, (moving the barriers)  with them ! !)  Lips are sealed
Fixes: 105

Mine starts when I'm told it does by my better half  Roll eyes
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Life's a beach - every day is the weekend Smiley Cheesy
Community Veteran

Quote from: Jameseh
Technically, reach suggests coming towards, whereas "reached" would actually suggest that he weekend had started already.

I disagree - as does my computer's dictionary (not the OED), which defines it in this context as 'arrive at; get as far as'. Tongue
jmd
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
the weekend starts after the EOD doesn't it

w00t, the comms section of the EOD has already been sent to todays editor, does that mean I can go home(pub) now?Huh

I would let you home Chris if I was your boss, unfortunately I am not I cannot control your hours........... Cry sorry
but as a retired person Smiley weekends are almost the same as weekdays - the supermarkets though are busier! Sad
johpal
Grafter

Oh dear! This is beginning to have echoes of my English grammar lessons, "present perfect tense", or something? I know they don't have it in German, French, or Dutch...  Tongue
My weekend has now firmly begun. I arrived home to find the family car on the drive, with a flat tyre (nail firmly embedded). My first task was to fit the spare. I notice too, that the grass on the front lawn is needs mowing. I think I'll go back to work!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

That the trouble, I keep on forgetting which day of the week it is, Last Monday, Pub evening meal, thought it was another day, 100 covers and all taken - on a Monday!, recession what recession
Community Veteran

Quote from: johpal
Oh dear! This is beginning to have echoes of my English grammar lessons, "present perfect tense", or something? I know they don't have it in German, French, or Dutch...  Tongue

I know very little about the technicalities of English grammar, so someone correct me if I'm way off base, but I suspect you're thinking of the 'present participle' tense, which is indeed absent from numerous foreign languages. It's the tense used to describe the action of doing something - e.g. 'I am going shopping', 'I am reading a book', and so forth.
Edit: added missing quotation mark.