Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So what is the definition of Celebrity?

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

So what is the definition of Celebrity?

I've just seen an article on the BBC site asking "Who's taking part in Celebrity X Factor", so out of curiosity I clicked it and and out of the list of so-called 'Celebrities' I only recognised two. One from The Chase and the other being Martin Bashir, the rest of them just wannabes or has beens. This lack of recognition isn't down to me being an old phart, it is, as I see it down to the corruption of the definition of "Celebrity".

I don't know who watches this sort of drivel but it's certainly not my cup of tea, and if the truth be told a complete waste of resources. But hey, each to their own I guess.

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: So what is the definition of Celebrity?

I suspect it's only a matter of time before gaining enough twitter followers or facebook friends will class you as a celeb.

If it hasn't already happened judging by some of the so called celebs.

Highlighted
Fixes: 458

I get a 'clenching of teeth' moment when I see the term 'Reality star' applied to some completely unknown because they have appeared in something like Big Brother, Love Island or I'm a celebrity, get me out of here.

Leave them in there permanently I say but turn off the cameras, depriving them of that which they crave. 

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 79.0 (64-bit)

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I noticed that there's a youtuber on that dancing thing on the BBC, if they're getting that desperate, then the definition of "celebrity" is getting quite loose these days... Crazy2

Highlighted
Pro

I don't watch the dancing thing.

But from a brief look at a trailer for it, I don't recognise 90% of the people on there.

And that goes for about 95% of these so called celebs on or from anything.

I see they have now taken an early evening slot to talk about it as well.

They really needn't bother for me. . .

Highlighted
Champion
Fixes: 1

@Minesapint  Youmay be pleased to know that the programs will revert to normal next week. Change was made for athletics on BBC2

Highlighted
Pro

@TTman  Thanks. Now if they could just get rid of the athletics, and the endless football, and most of the other sport, and. . . Grin

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

@Minesapint 

@Minesapint wrote:

@TTman .............................................................. endless football, and most of the other sport, and. . . Grin

Made some decent programmes to watch.......

Smiley

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

A celebrity is 'someone who is famous for being famous' - in a celebrities book there is no such thing as bad publicity, as long as it gets their mugs onto the papers or onto TV.. which keeps them in the public eye and makes them saleable.  My favourite ( LOL ) celebrities are Ant and Dec, no particular talents, just continuity announcers with a cheeky smile - they have been compared to Morecambe and Wise - in their dreams.  Continuing mystery to me is how A & D keep getting awards. Some of this seems like the emperors new clothes,  the more famous people get by self promotion the more people are put off saying anything bad about them because they do not want to appear out of step.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famous_for_being_famous

Highlighted
Pro

Yes, and preferably ones that don't involve half baked "detectives" mooching around until the perpetrator of whatever crime is overtaken by guilt and admits to everything.

"It was me what done it guv, but society is to blame"  Roll_eyes

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Celebrity like the use of the word 'Star' is just a mass media construct and annoying though it can be, if the hat fits...

What does get right up my nose is the misuse of the word 'hero', but that's a subject for another topic I guess.  Knuppel 

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

In many cases you could substitute the word celebrity for clown, the more some of these people make utter fools of themselves or in some cases berate others the more they get noticed and likely get votes from other clowns who watch this stuff and have little between their ears.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

This started years ago when many screaming kids stopped getting a clip around the ear. Those same kids also found out that those that made the most noise got the most attention.

In today's world those same kids have "grown" up.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

There is now an occupation called Influencer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_celebrity

A mini-series about an early Big Brother contestant called Jade Goody is currently being shown/repeated on C4 under the title The Reality Star Who Changed Britain.  Really?

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

For me popularity does not equal celebrity. Just because an individual has x followers does not make them a celebrity. As for influencers Ticked_off, that's a load of poop they are nothing more than glorified sales people.