cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So what does this say about our power infrastructure

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: So what does this say about our power infrastructure

Indeed, I'm in Britain, and I don't recall being brought to my knees yesterday, I did notice my desk fan slow down a little, but given the local distribution network is a bit archaic here I'm somewhat used to it...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I expect steps are already being taken to prevent this happening again.

The two people with electric cars have already been sent letters warning them not to charge their cars at the same time.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Power to the people  - privatisation is profit, not provision. Tongue

TTman
Pro

I visited a hydro electric power station in wales may years ago and unlike other stations wich take time to fire up and produce elctric to help with any shortfall in power say because of breakdown this could produce electric for the grid nearly immediately (sorry cant remember where it was but  @Minivanman wil probably know).I wonder if this was used to resore power in this case and if there are  simmilar schemes around the country?Cool smiley

Champnet
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

A futuristic view - Electric cars abandoned at the side of the road....

RobPN
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 4

@twocvbloke wrote:

It says that the grid did exactly what it was designed to do, balance loads by cutting off sections of the grid in the event of a generator failure to prevent a nationwide grid collapse... Smiley

Many years ago I was working in a Substation installing large cables and from time to time the circuit breakers on the air-insulated conductors would trip to isolate a section of the grid.  If you haven't been told about these and you're working near one when it happens, it can be slightly alarming as the sudden arc causes quite a bang.  All part of the initiation process providing a bit of a laugh for those that had experienced it before I guess Wink , although we were strictly warned not to carry any tools or other metal objects above waist height (due to possible arcing) whilst working in those normally-locked compounds.

@twocvbloke wrote:

It's just being blown out of proportion as usual by the media, "Much of the UK", meaning londoners were inconvenienced, while the rest of the country didn't notice a thing, ...

I haven't seen a confirmed report on the extent of the power cut in Devon and Cornwall but I've heard that most of those two counties was affected. I know my town and several others in Cornwall was off from approximately 5pm for about 20-30 minutes until power was restored.

It probably was extensive in the region though, because when I phoned Western Power Distributions emergency number it went straight to a recorded message that they were having problems with their phone lines which I took to mean they were either down or swamped with callers.  Out of interest I called the number again immediately after power was restored and the phone service was back to normal with options being announced.

Whilst typing this I just had a call-back from 'Owen' at WPD (due to their system picking up my CLI even though I hung up) to apologise for the outage.  I took the opportunity to ask if the whole of Devon and Cornwall was affected as I'd heard, he confirmed it was and also said most of the country was affected.

@twocvbloke wrote:

I've been fascinated with electricity ... I'm just someone who likes electricity, from low voltage DC stuff to the big boys power supplies that bite back if you mess with them... Grin

It was interesting to look around the Substation when it was raining to see all the 'leakage' tracking down the insulators where the HV cables (can't remember whether they were 400kV or 132kV lines) fed down from the pylons.

OT, and just a flash in the pan given the present UK weather conditions, but at one point wind-powered generation was supplying potentially (no pun intended) over 50% of UK electrical demand.

I just found this jerky video of the Substation referred to above (not in the rain unfortunately!), although there appears to have been some additions made since I was there.

Edit: couple of typos

Community Veteran
Fixes: 41

@TTman  Was it Dinorwyg it's a Pumped Storage facility that can ramp up quickly just by opening the tap!

TTman
Pro

@Mook Yes thats the one, fascinating to ave a tour around it would recommend it to anyone visiting the area, we visited as it was wales and raining!!! Made a very enjoyable day .Thumbs UpThumbs Up

Community Veteran
Fixes: 41

@RobPN Your video won't play here all I get it this.

Playback.png

Community Veteran

Hydro is one of the best ways of getting energy fast, I recall something on the beeb (The secret life of the National Grid) where they stated that a hydro station in Scotland can ramp up power and make up for a shortfall in London (which they probably did!!), all thanks to the grid being what it is... Smiley

Community Veteran

@TTman wrote:

@Mook Yes thats the one, fascinating to ave a tour around it would recommend it to anyone visiting the area, we visited as it was wales and raining!!! Made a very enjoyable day .Thumbs UpThumbs Up

@TTman 

https://www.electricmountain.co.uk/Dinorwig-Power-Station

The more a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it -- George Orwell.

Beware "alternative facts".

"Nineteen Eighty-Four" is set in Landing Strip, which is understood to be Great Britain in the future, a division of Oceania, a superstate that is continually at war with other superstates. Currently being organised by an American administration near you.
RobPN
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 4

@Mook wrote:

@RobPN Your video won't play here all I get it this.

Playback.png

@Mook 

Oops, I've not come across that before. Embarrassed

I just tried clicking the link in that message saying Watch this video on YouTube and at least that works  Wink

I'll see if I can do something about the inserted video, if not I'll replace it with the above link, but probably not possible due to editing time elapsing.

Marksfish
Pro

Little Barford power station is just down the road from me, no cuts here. Weird how the power generated locally is diverted away by the grid.

What a ironic situation that the "dirty diesel" rail lines have been "upgraded" to super electric, which can be wiped out in an instant. At least a diesel (or even steam come to that) can carry on regardless!

Community Veteran

One of the reasons the trains stopped was due to the signals not being able to operate properly, and it took them a while to get them into backup mode after the power failed, so even the diesels would have had to stop, regardless of being able to continue operating without electricity, as no or malfunctioning signals makes it a very dangerous situation...

Baldrick1
Hero
Fixes: 85

So who's fault is it that Network Rail are so short sighted that they don't have UPS back up on their signalling system that can deal with a one hour outage? It sure ain't the electrical power generation and network control companies.

Maybe if the Government got the existing rail infrastructure, which most people use, up to scratch rather than wasting billions on high speed ego trips things would be far better.