Anonymous
Not applicable

So, that's the Cruise booked then !

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

Re: So, that's the Cruise booked then !

I did the last 83 days  ( well it was a return journey) backwards...i.e. from the UK, to the Philipines and returned,   in 1 year, and visited other places, that are not included  on that cruise,...Got paid for doing it, by the government, too ! ! ! ! ... .. !  Cheesy

I was only 18 at the time... and there was a lot of excitement along the way, too ! ..Cool

Highlighted
All Star
Fixes: 2

Ah, ‘Join the Navy and see the world’ very tempting in my younger days....

Highlighted
All Star
Fixes: 1

@Anonymous Was just reading that before I logged back in. My wife did the round the UK cruise last year, so asked her if she fancied this cruise.Said No thanks didnt fancy the Snow room. Just as well as we would have had to sell the house and me and the dog would have had nowhere to live( apart from the car):laugh:Laugh

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Seem to recall something about it being cheaper (or at least as cheap) to pay for a world cruise than pay for a nursing home.

Urban myth, or hope for us all?

Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 4

Just returned from a 4 day cruise of Singapore, Penang, Phuket. Didn't see much of it except night 1. Day 2 morning I was in the med centre and confined to room for the rest of the trip!! Deep joy Sad

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

@Minivanman wrote:

Seem to recall something about it being cheaper (or at least as cheap) to pay for a world cruise than pay for a nursing home.

A doctor friend of mine took a few months off from his normal job and worked as a medic on a cruise ship.  Dispensing paracetamol to rich American widows with a headache was about as exciting as the job got, but a nice working holiday for him.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@Anonymous wrote:

I wish.....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-7168635/The-ultimate-round-world-cruise-194k-Viking-Ocean-Cruises.html

Personally I could think of nothing worse !

Stuck in an environment like that with the type of people on a trip like that......majority milionaires......no thanks.

It is said you put on a 1Lb of weight a week due to all the free food and drink, think what weight you would be after such a trip !

Don't get me wrong a cruise of a week or two would be fine but a world trip ? I wonder how many actual full days you would be at sea ?

Be my worst nightmare !

Wink

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Jonpe 

Would that have been on the SS Hypocondria? Wink

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@Jonpe wrote:

@Minivanman wrote:

Not sure if it is still true but at one time it was cheaper to spend 3 months on holiday all inclusive at some Spanish hotels  than it would be to spend 3 months in a rest home in this country.

With the bonus of better weather !

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@gleneagles 

Sort of sounds good, not sure of that better weather though having suffered from an overseas heatwave a few years back!

All well and good if you have air con though Thumbs_Up

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

I remembered this earlier thread from 2014 !

https://community.plus.net/t5/General-Chat/Cruises/m-p/1120281#M158083

So, not convinced, I think we will stick to flying to foreign locations for holidays.

We pay a bit extra, and have never been disappointed either by Airlines or Hotels.

(Sometimes a lot extra !)

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

@gleneagles wrote:

Not sure if it is still true but at one time it was cheaper to spend 3 months on holiday all inclusive at some Spanish hotels  than it would be to spend 3 months in a rest home in this country.

With the bonus of better weather !

The last charter flight out to a seasonal holiday resort, and the first charter flight back, are empty so some operators offer those seats at a very low price (cost of insurance mainly).  One company many years ago called them Linger Longer holidays.  I'm sure the otherwise rather empty holiday resorts are happy to play host to a more mature clientele after the hustle and bustle of the high season.  The reps on the other hand prefer a turnover of guests, after all you can put up with someone difficult for a couple fo weeks, but would you want them all winter going on about how things are so much better back home and why isn't Spain more like (insert British place name), and "you can't get a decent cup of tea for love nor money!"

And @Minivanman it was the SS Analgesia. Laugh