cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So much for green energy and carbon credits

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

So much for green energy and carbon credits

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2011-07-12/india-business/29764251_1_carbon-credits-sasa...
NEW DELHI: Anil Ambani's Reliance Power expects to earn Rs 3,100 crore [about £420 million] over a 10-year period from carbon credits generated by the two ultra-mega power projects (UMPPs) it is setting up in public-private partnership with state-run Power Finance Corporation.
The company has succeeded in registering its 4,000 mw Krishnapatnam project under the United Nation's Clean Development Mechanism framework allowing the plant to earn and sell carbon credits. The plant is projected to generate 3.5 million carbon credits, worth Rs 1,100 crore, in the first 10 years.This is the company's second ultra-mega project to be registered for carbon credit trade.
The Sasan project was registered earlier and is projected to generate over 22 million CERs valued at Rs 2,000 crore.
Each carbon credit, worth about 14 euro, is earned by reducing a tonne of carbon dioxide emission, the main agent for global warming. Registration of the two prijects makes Reliance Power the largest supplier of carbon credits among the Indian generation companies.
The Krishnapatnam project is to be fuelled with imported coal while the Sasan project is to use domestic coal sourced from captive coal mines. The two projects are being set up with an investment of over Rs 33,000 crore.
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: So much for green energy and carbon credits

Unfortunatley, this appears to be a case where existing power generation is so poor in efficiency and CO2 production that even replacing it with coal fired earns them enormous credit for improvement.
I have recently been 'shopping around' for electricity in light of the recent price increase announcements and I notice that most of the cheapest deals appear to be from the suppliers burning the most fossil fuels.  I'ts not easy being green as Kermit always reminded us.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

In this case it isn't replacing existing capacity it is increasing it
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

The true argument is somewhat more convoluted.
Krishnapatnam is a super-critical plant so can be up to 50% efficient compared with Drax at say 33%.
The people who administer the CDM have thus allowed it as a carbon abatement technology.
The people who are critical of the decision are saying that the Indian Government has regulated that all new coal plant should be supercritical anyway and the extra thermal efficiency reduces fuel costs so the project is viable without the subsidy.
I think we should be building clean coal power plant in the UK we still have 80% of our coal reserves in the UK after 300 years of exploitation.
Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

Quote from: PeterLoftus
we still have 80% of our coal reserves in the UK after 300 years of exploitation.

Do we have any coal miners left though?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
matt_2k34
Grafter

Only problem is, digging it out is dangerous and people moan cause it "ruins the landscape" when really i think we should increase the price of leccy to these whining arses.
Same with people who moan about phone masts, dont let them have a mobile. Done.
Regards
Community Veteran

Quote from: Matt_2k34
Same with people who moan about phone masts

And the same ones probably complain about wind turbines.
Call me 'w23'
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Quote from: walker23
And the same ones probably complain about wind turbines.

I like WT's BUT they are poor energy generators. If the wind isn't blowing or they have them SWITCHED OFF (about 70% of the time), then they are NOT generating power. And when is it need there isn't anyway to store this power so it is wasted. Same with solar power, when do we need power at night, when is it dark at night  Shocked.
If I wanted to I could probably sell some c02 units as I don't use that much car fuel, don't fly and generally am reasonably green
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Hairy Biker
I agree with you  Smiley
The nation is most in need of a new build of power stations to slot in where we are to loose 70% of our baseload capacity when the aged nuclear and coal stations are turned off.
Wind turbines should be part of local community based efforts along with solar, biomass, CHP, energy efficient buildings etc. They should not be power station sized arrays causing grid inbalances.
A local network islanded, or connected to the grid as a spinning reserve, can harvest and use energy locally and control load or store (batteries, heat) energy to suit the community.  Cool
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
tinto
Grafter

Quote from: walker23

Do we have any coal miners left though?

Yes, but the next coal mine I work in must have windows!!