Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So much for asking the people.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

So much for asking the people.

Judges give their ruling, and I know of at least one MP who will not be getting my vote next time around. Mine. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38720320

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
26 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: So much for asking the people.

Nope, it is just the Judges interpreting the law as it stands. That's their job. Careless Dave and his Elite cronies did a [probably censored] poor job of drafting the EU Referendum legislation. They firmly believed they'd win with their Project Fear tactics. Now it is down to Mrs May and Parliament to change the legislation to recognise the will of the majority of the people represented by those who chose to vote.

If Parliament decide not to recognise the decision of the people to leave the EU we will live in interesting times.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

The protests of those upset by this decision are somewhat hypocritical!

One of the reasons people voted for brexit was to take away the ability of Brussels to override the power of our elected MPs.

All this judgement says is that there is a proper process and that process must be followed.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
stedge

amen

Minivanman
Hero

Like the curates egg @jelv your argument is good in parts. Leaving the EU was not just about sovereignty it was more than that. The people have spoken, we do not need to be asked twice and not of an MP that was against it..... unless they have changed their minds given that the world did not come to an end after all.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

@jelv   wrote The protests of those upset by this decision are somewhat hypocritical!

What's new?

Community Veteran

Not sure what all the fuss is about it's likely the government expected this outcome and have already said a simple bill will be put before MP's in the next few days regarding a vote on section 50.

So little has changed, sure the government will be required to keep MP's aware of government plans but you can be sure much will be going on in the background, as it always has done...so no change there !

Community Veteran

At least they also confirmed the obvious. That hasn't stopped all the foot stamping though.

The court also rejected, unanimously, arguments that the Scottish Parliament, Welsh Assembly and Northern Ireland Assembly should get to vote on Article 50 before it is triggered.

Lord Neuberger said: "Relations with the EU are a matter for the UK government."

But in its judgement, the Supreme Court unanimously ruled that not only did the devolved bodies have no role in deciding the future of the UK as a whole in the EU, Northern Ireland had no special status beyond this either.

They ruled that, while Northern Ireland's people did indeed have a fundamental constitutional say on being part of the UK, that did not extend to being part of the EU.

beeceegee
Rising Star

Our MP has already stated she will vote for the Act to invoke Article 50. So much for representing her constituents, who voted 60/40 to remain

Minivanman
Hero

Look at the bigger picture, 75% of MPs voted Remain even though 63% of their constituencies voted Leave so is it any wonder that those like myself who voted Brexit are worried that these guys will give two fingers to their constituents. 

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Mr Corbyn said on TV that he will vote for invoking Article 50 although he did not think his MPs would be subject to a three-line whip.  It would probably be suicidal for any MP to claim to believe in democracy while going against the will of the majority of the people.  They will, however, put forward amendments although it remains to be seen what these are and whether they will delay the process.

Community Veteran

How can you produce amendments for a bill you've not seen?  The 40 amendments are just abuse of process.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro

The bill could almost be a one-liner.  The opposition will, by the noises they've been making since last summer, want  to obstruct/delay it, and there are tried and tested ways of doing so.

Luzern
Pro

OK! The people have spoken, but let's hypothesize that in any such situation in a parliamentary democracy, the executive negotiated something that would be ruinous for the nation. Would you still say the people's voice must stand against the parliamentary establishment with its wider and deeper knowledge.

Remember! This is a hypothetical matter and emotional responses linked to Brexit are to be avoided.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

@Luzern

That is to suggest that parliament with it's 'wider knowledge' has not made mistakes in taking certain courses of action.

Take the Poll Tax, that was introduced but later dropped as a result of opposition from the electorate.

On major issues consider our involvement in 'regeme change' that has ended up causing far more problems than it has solved.

So no, I do not think MP's have some greater knowledge or experience than many of us, in fact looking at some of the things MP's say and do I think some or Idiots.