Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So how does your Broadband compare?

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

So how does your Broadband compare?

I came upon this link today while reading an article in one of the provincial papers, it provides some detailed and interesting data on the availability and speeds of broadband in your constituency.

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

Re: So how does your Broadband compare?

But it is slightly misleading. As with all fibre supplied by a phone line, that final distance can mean a speedy connection or utter dross.

While I am not that far away from the cabinet I don't get what comes up for Lincoln rural. But then I suddenly realised its done by constituency - note to self. Read! 😀 And that is where the table falls over. Gainsborough is another 8 miles further away than Lincoln is from me i.e. 19 miles as opposed to being 11miles away. I do live 5 miles from a town though but it doesn't get a mention! Not that the exchange is in the town anyway but located 7 miles in a tiny village (blame the war) that is in the opposite direction of me to Gainsborough - so 26miles away. Hope that makes sense.

As such I don't get included in Lincoln's 92Mb/s but in Gainsborough 46Mb/s. Yes, I get not much short of 80Mb/s but I suspect the 92Mb plus must include where Virgin operate. We don't get that around these parts. Still it'll all change - one day. Whether I'll still be around to see FTTP arrive, somehow I doubt it. Around here, tractors go faster than Openreach's upgrade teams will ever do. 🤣

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

@idonno wrote:

But it is slightly misleading. As with all fibre supplied by a phone line,

Surely an oxymoron?  Wink

IMO, what's grossly misleading is the fact that VDSL is allowed to be described as fibre!  Roll_eyes

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 141

In my area:

2% are unable to get 'Decent BB'

1.1% get less than 2Mbps

13.2%  cannot get 10Mbps.

Makes you wonder what politicians consider to be a 'Decent' service in 2020?

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

I was wondering how much the figures for "Lines receiving under 2 / 10 Mb/s" (as opposed to those "Unable to receive decent BB") are being skewed simply by people who have better connections available to them but have chosen to stay on ADSL.

Looking below the figures at the definitions of the categories supports that thought, quote:

"This may reflect consumer choice as well as line quality, since users sometimes have access to packages offering higher speeds than those they are actually receiving."

Edit:  typo

Highlighted
Hero

So what on earth is the use of a statistic that includes those that can get faster speed but don't want/need it? Presumably there's a hidden agenda?

To quote Churchill, 'statistics are like a drunk with a lamp post, used more for supporl than illumination'.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Yes it's all the consumers fault for not wanting to pay through the nose to get 'Decent BB'

Highlighted
Hero

@billnotben 

Sorry, but their fault for what? I was questioning the value of this statistic. It might be of interest for some to know which speed service  consumers decide to take, if any, but what is the real value of this data except to provide fodder for misinterpretation.

I would be more interested to know percentages at maximum speeds actually available in each area.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Their fault for choosing the "bottom line*.

That's something that matters, what suppliers currently call their bottom line. The current lowest cheapest but still very usable broadband. The baseline.

It's that speed that matters in the grand scheme of things as anyone with the cash and desire can usually get a super fast broadband. Just saying it's available I don't get the relevance. Anymore than there is a nice Aston in my local garage but I have to settle for something a lot slower.

Highlighted
Hero

We will just have to agree to disagree. Taking an anology.

I do not have a paid for satellite TV service. Does that mean that statistically I'm disadvantaged? If I only took a basic satellite service because I didn't want the other channels would I be one of the poor souls that only have the basic service because the full service costs more?

The fact is I'm not interested in this service.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@billnotben 

Sorry, but their fault for what? I was questioning the value of this statistic. It might be of interest for some to know which speed service  consumers decide to take, if any, but what is the real value of this data except to provide fodder for misinterpretation.

I would be more interested to know percentages at maximum speeds actually available in each area.

I may be a "case in point"   for your questioning of statistics.

I am on ADSL2... because it suits my needs.... I don`t do gaming... or watch tv on line ( silly idea if the internet goes down... ... no broadband... no phone... no telly  ! ) ..

so I don`t need all this hyped up "super speed"...

My rock solid connection, gives me between 5.6 and 6.6 Mb

Here are some of the "offers" for my post code...

VIRGIN  108Mb

VIRGIN  362Mb

TALKTALK 67Mb

BT     50Mb           (Interesting  ? ? ? ?   )

EE     10Mb

VIRGIN  54Mb

TALKTALK 38Mb

VODAFONE 63Mb

VODAFONE 35Mb

PLUSNET 36Mb  ( must be something PN doing to make it faster than vodafone ! ! ! )

PLUSNET 10Mb

I am not with Plusnet any more... my ISP is Pulse8 and they use the TalkTalk infrastructure... but it is all the same at the keyboard, as with PN ! ! ..still comes down the same wires ,... and still rock solid...  I moved from PN because of their intransigence and curtailment of customer services for disabled customers. ( deaf and speech impaired) .

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@shutter  While I'd agree to a point about paying for what you don't need, I well remember my brother using ADSL, when for the same money he could have fibre at 80Mb. As I kept being told, I don't need that. Eventually he did wake up, must have smelt the coffee, and got fibre. He hasn't looked back since. Even more so with this Covid as he has used video calls to keep in touch with family, not only in this country but in Australia.

Certainly I couldn't manage without the speed that we get - don't get buffering on any streaming etc. When we were looking at houses beginning of this year, internet speed was one thing we did look at as part of the mix. Not that we ended up buying, it all got blown away!

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

@idonno wrote:

@shutter  While I'd agree to a point about paying for what you don't need,  s he has used video calls to keep in touch with family, not only in this country but in Australia.

Don`t do video calls... don`t know anyone who does ! ( would be pointless for me, unless the video stream has subtitles  GrinCheesyGrin

@idonno wrote:

@shutter  While I'd agree to a point about paying for what you don't need,

don't get buffering on any streaming etc.

Neither do I.... often watching German T.V. ( Live )...on line... you tube videos/films... no buffering either... 

So.. why should I go fibre ?  why should I pay more... when I dont need  it... ( even for the same money ! ) ...    If it ain`t broke... don`t fix it, comes to mind... !

And... don`t forget... I`m a yokshurman, by birth...even though I am exiled in t` sarf.  ! ! ! .. Wink

Highlighted
Community Veteran

I don't get any buffering on my "slow" connection either and my brother has no problem with video calls on his.

I suppose it all comes down to..........

If the line only has one user or if more than a few are online at once.