Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So anybody know why today's yoof

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

So anybody know why today's yoof

are smoking again?
Pass a local Uni/College every day walking my dog, and there are loads of young (mostly girls <20) yoof's out grabbing a quick puff.  Crazy Crazy Crazy Crazy  Cry
I thought the message had gotten through that it KILLS YOU.  Cry
How do they even afford it? I had to ask how much ciggies are now (since they are all covered up in the stores) ~£6 a pack  Lips are sealed  Crazy
Personally I HATE the smell of the smoke never mind the staining etc you get from using them.
Why don't they use ecigs at least they don't stink the place out. (and are cheaper I believe)
22 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: So anybody know why today's yoof

I totally agree with your comments. I can't bear being near a smoker as the smell of cigarettes is all over them. Nasty habit. Sad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

They do it cos they think it makes them look older and more mature, they're kind of right, it makes them look wrinkly and smell like an old bag by the time they're in their mid-20s... Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I've been asking this question for years...
In my youth doctors actually recommended smoking "for health reasons" so most of us did.
The generations from probably the 1980's onward had been force fed all the information, pictures of affected lungs and worse, they have more information than we ever had but....they still do it, and in increasing numbers apparently.
I simply don't understand it.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 105

I too have noticed a sudden upturn in smoking again
Now this may be a sweeping generalisation, but around the school gates it seems to be the Eastern Europeans that are the predominant smokers.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Quote from: dvorak
Eastern Europeans that are the predominant smokers

There's no doubt that Eastern Europeans have imported their bad habits of excessive drinking and smoking with them.
Old habits which we had almost eradicated so it does look a bit strange to us.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

it's nothing new.
the "youth" have always smoked.
it's just that you're noticing it more now that smoking on the premises is being better policed.
Community Veteran

Quote from: billnotben
There's no doubt that Eastern Europeans have imported their bad habits of excessive drinking and smoking with them.
Old habits which we had almost eradicated so it does look a bit strange to us.

gotta love a bit of casual racism
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

We are but one race, the Human race, the racism term is old hat these days and thrown around like confetti at a wedding...
Community Veteran

Now this may be a sweeping generalisation, but around the school gates it seems to be the Eastern Europeans that are the predominant smokers.

how are you able to tell they are "eastern europeans". do you go up to them all and ask them where they are from?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

There are a number of reasons the young smoke, they do it to fit in with their friends or the group they are in, they do it because it makes them look, "cool" and they do it because films and tv plays still show some actors smoking in certain roles.
One reason why I never smoked when young was simply because I could not afford it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Well the yoof that are smoking all seem to be white Caucasian but other than that, I haven't spoken to them or head them speak, they are too busy puffing away and checking their phones.
I don't think it is the smoking ban that is causing them to be outside, I remember when I was back at Uni in the 90's that they all went outside then to smoke, well before the ban.
Personally I don't like any form of racism, but it is getting worse. I have worked with people all over the world and they are all the same mostly. They have the same problems we do in their country.
Both my parents smoked, my sister (at home) smoked, the living room at night was like a pea souper with the smog of smoke hanging above us. And still I never smoked.  Wink
@GE I haven't seen it in any new movies, go back to the oldies and everyone seems to smoke. When I was in high school (70's) then it was the reasons you suggest, but I thought better education had been introduced, maybe not.

Quote from: chenks76

how are you able to tell they are "eastern europeans". do you go up to them all and ask them where they are from?

No, by the language they are speaking. Now it could be a coincidence and everyone is learning a foreign language, but I'm not convinced
Not sure how it's racist though?
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

i didn't quote your post as being racist.
however your post IS a sweeping generalisation.
how many school gates have you surveyed?
you said "gates", so i assume it's more than one school gate where you've been hanging around checking on the accents and languages being spoken by the children.

it's by the parents / guardians and i said it was more than likely a sweeping generalisation and having children at different schools plural of gates is ok.
Will Moderate For Thanks