Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So.. What have we got left then?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

So.. What have we got left then?

Hi all
Recently I was looking for pictures on google for an old closed down tourist attraction to show someone I know. In the process I stumbled upon a pretty cool site about Urban Exploration. It's basically people who gain access to abandoned properties (railways, tourist attractions, public buildings, tunnels, etc) and take photos to share online etc.
While I've never done it myself I do find the whole thing quite fascinating to the point that its highlighted just how much of a great industrial nation we once were. Railways all over the place, railway tunnels to towns you'd never think had rails etc..
Well with the UK governments always in overdrive to cut costs to spend money elsewhere (though just where its spent is anyones guess) it's left me wondering.. with so much of this once great country closed down, derelict, collapsed, bulldozed, arsonised, scrapped etc:
What have we got left?
I know there's a few museums etc but I've always found museums a bit false as you could never see things in their working environment. The Bluebell railway is definitely one thing we have managed to cling onto (god knows how) but seriously, what else have we got left?
HMS invincible is being put out to tender for breakers, Ark Royal will be going the same way.. so there's 2 more once mighty great ships which won't be preserved for future generations. Oddly on the site I found there seems to be an abundance of former railway tunnels.. fascinating to a certain extent but I think we can all admit its nothing without finding an abandoned train there too!
Do we even have slam door trains being preserved anywhere? - Seriously, in my life it seems like we've lost so much of what was once great, fascinating and inspirational and we're not replacing any of it. With the Harrier fleet being scrapped too, it just seems like this along with former governments are out to destroy anything that once inspired people in this country.
It's no wonder there are so many troubled kids out there when there is nothing do to, see, be inspired by etc..
Is there anything left?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
4 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: So.. What have we got left then?

BBC Essex have also been doing it
The first was the old Severals Hospital in Colchester, a lot of the Buildings are listed and have go into a very bad state, whilst the powers that be try and unscramble their brains
Since 1997 the remaining structures have changed little. Architecturally, the site remains an excellent example of a specific asylum plan. However, the buildings have suffered much vandalism and fire damage which has since led to the demolition of the main hall. In 2005 the main hall was subject to an arson attack, and in 2007 the charred building was demolished for safety reasons. The five boilers were removed from the Central Boiler House in 2007. In 2008, the sale of the Hospital Site, including its' extensive Grounds, collapsed, due to the slow-down in the Building Industry.

They have just done the Main Marconi site in Chelmsford, again an absolute disgrace.  The week they did the exposure, Princess Elettra Marconi -Guglielmo  Marconi's Daughter was here in the UK and was not amused
http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/essex/hi/people_and_places/history/newsid_8722000/8722885.stm
does any one know why Princess?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

In my time we have got rid of Ration Books, shops closing half day thursday and all day sunday, shared telephone lines (if you could get one at all).
Teachers who would leave you with sore fingers for the least misdemeanor, Ice on the inside windows (no central Heating). Compulsory 2 year army service plus a long list of other things which others on this site can add to.
Things we have got is the opportunity for better physical health (except some people reject this by boozing, eating and smoking to much) More Money in many cases (except some people think they are entitled to a colour tv, car,foreign holiday etc and if they do not get these then they say they are poor)
In short we are much better off in most areas than we were in the 1940/1950 apart from those people who see that time through rose tinted spectacles.
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: gleneagles
In short we are much better off in most areas than we were in the 1940/1950 apart from those people who see that time through rose tinted spectacles.
Ah those were the days  Smiley
The first 5 years were wartime and in 1946 I went up to grammar school so had loads of homework.
In summer of 1948 I used to cycle to Wembley to watch athletes training for Olympics. A friends dad had won gold in Munich and he was trying to make 1948 Olympics so we used to see him tearing round the estate with the strange walkers gait.
I went to a holiday camp, on IOW, in 1949 and flew for first time from Cowes in an Auster.
Then there was my media centre - a crystal set  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Holiday camp & Flying.
I Bet not many could afford that in those days.
I Didn't know anybody who had a car, been to university or even had a television !
My push bike (built from old scrap parts) was my first luxury.
First Holiday I ever had was when I got married.
But I've done OK since then (before you start a collection)