cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So Ian Duncan Smith Resigns

Steve
Pro

So Ian Duncan Smith Resigns

Work and Pensions Secretary Iain Duncan Smith has resigned over "indefensible" changes to disability benefits.
It comes amid mounting controversy over £4bn of planned cuts to Personal Independence Payments (PIP), expected to affect 640,000 people.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35848687
62 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: So Ian Duncan Smith Resigns

Good.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

the question really should be why
clearly he would of waved them through had it not been for the tax perks for the rich in the same budget ..... so its not the cuts themselves he finds unsavoury but the delivery of them .....
perhaps he has decided its time to head to the out camp properly and mayhaps he's going to spill some beans about how ever closer union demands that we divest ourselves of the majority of disability spending as other nations introduce basic welfare regimes as part of the 2020 harmonisation effort (pushed back from the original 2017 date due to the Eurozone problems)
the only real question is will the chancellor stop selling the country to the lowest bidder when privatising things once we vote out or will he continue down the path to ever closer union to make sure we harmonise with the rest of the EU in all things........
remember folks his fortune is tied to us remaining part of the EU, if we leave he wont be making billions once TTIP gets rammed through /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
deathtrap
Grafter

@Nanotm  No if we leave the EU that will kill  us becoming part of TTIP  as it's the EU pushing us to do this http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/eu-referendum-joseph-stiglitz-ttip-labour-transatlan...
And we would loose the NHS as we know it, gone would be the free at the point use, Something the tory government would secretly wish for
IBS will be back when Boris gives him a job,  i would bet that he still holds his seat chingford isnt it
Therefore to avoid TTIP  alone we should vote to leave the EU i'm sick the EU dictating  to us, who are they to do this? they where not elected by the people of this country  out out out all the way
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Glad IDsmith has decided to leave  Cool and hope some more have the strength to say cuts to disability to give his rich friends a pay rise , less tax !!
ITS WRONG 
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Steve
Pro

Quote from: nanotm
the question really should be why

It should be indeed, sources close to Smith say it's nothing to do about Europe. I have my doubts even the PM is puzzled about his resignation. It is a shame he can walk away from all the damage and misery he has caused to disabled people all across the country. Maybe a freedom of information request is about to be released that is seriously damaging?
SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 53

No modern politician resigns on a point of principle.
In fact it's extremely hard to get them to resign from Government jobs even when they have been caught doing wrong.
In this case, he has just left his Government job which still means he can come back after the referendum. And he is resigning because the Government is implementing his policy ? Weird!

edit for spelling
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Cameron is losing his able ministers. such as William Hague, Ian Duncan Smith. It seems to me ideology is winning over pragmatism. Next we'll see David turning to endorsement by foreign leaders and foreign tours to boost his political profile.
IDS was given the job of sorting out the current social benefits scheme which is expensive and not fit for purpose in that it supports some who don't deserve support while under-supporting those who do need support. It is a complex job needing a very capable person, such as IDS, to lead it.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Everyone goes on about benefit fraud  Shocked  but in fact it cost the Gov more to police and bring some to court that they actually save .  so its a waste of money trying to catch fraud claims .
First thing that needs to be done is not to allow any claims until you have paid at least 4 years of Tax ! , 
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

I have a brother with learning disabilities and severe epilepsy who is older than me and needs care 24/7 ... and my parents have told me that the support he gets got cut last year and this year they want to reduce it so much that he will have almost nothing to live on, im sure you all understand one of the reason i dislike this goverment. Makes me sick to see the goverment put so much pressure on my parents, like its not hard enough as it is.. i help out as much as possible too but people with  learning disabilities or any other disabilities that are not fake ofc should be giving more support not less..... its shocking.
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Community Veteran

Or maybe the reason is simple.
Perhaps he has a lucrative book contract.
Or perhaps someone else has a book coming out with him having a prominent part.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I think he's gambling on Cameron and Osborne losing the referendum and coming back with a top job in the new government  Grin
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Steve
Pro

Inverness born Stephen Crabb replace Smith http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35850932
deathtrap
Grafter

IBS hasn't quit politics he still has his seat in parliament , and knows should Boris become the next PM He will be offered a job , so he will do what he can to stop Osborne becoming PM
People like IBS don't have a conscience they don't care about  who they hurt,  Lets not forget the damage and waste of tax payers money that IBS is responsible for, PIP was his doing , as is Universal credit  which doesn't work
Sadly yet another tory persecutor has taken over from IBS  Stephen Crabb  and going by his voting record  things wont change for the better http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/117...okeshire/votes
Steve
Pro

Yeah he doesn't sound too good does he, salesman for the same policies.