Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snowplough trains (youtube link)

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Snowplough trains (youtube link)

I was sent this link this morning

How does the driver see where he is going?
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Snowplough trains (youtube link)

To answer your question....
He doesn`t need to see where he is going....  he is driving a locomotive that is guided by the railroad tracks... DOH !  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Wow!!  A great job done.  We could learn a few lessons from that.
Fixes: 47

I suppose it would be handy to see signals and the like but probably out there signals occur every hundred miles or so and give audible warning in the cab. Undecided
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Job specification states that everything needs to be moved from the line so more momentum the better  Cheesy. With regard to signals I don't think it would matter as an trains stuck would already be known about and everything else needs to be shifted out of the way Wink.
Fixes: 124

I think you'd have to have nerves of steel to drive without seeing where you're going - even if it is on tracks Cool

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

oldgeezer
Grafter

Quote from: Mav
I think you'd have to have nerves of steel to drive without seeing where you're going - even if it is on tracks Cool

Many years ago my wife and I had to attend the funeral of a young relative on the outskirts of Doncaster. It was December and thick snow was falling. Car travel was out of the question. We managed to get to Sheffield Station and after a long wait managed to get on the first service to run to Doncaster that morning. The train was a two unit rail-car and we were sat looking out of the front. The snow was completely level over the tracks with no indication of where the rails were.
The train shot along at about 40 mph and snow shot passed the windows as we went along.
My wife was terrified and I wondered what would happen if a light-weight train encountered a drift at that speed.
We reached our destination in safety.
You needed nerves of steel to be a passenger on that train.
Fixes: 47

A few years ago the band I worked for had a booking at Scunthorpe and we travelled there on the M180 which was a bit misty to say the least.
When it was time to go home the mist had turned to very thick fog with visibility down to 10 to 15 feet Shocked
The keyboard player who was with me for the return journey decided to drive. We managed to find the M180 where visibility was down to 6 feet.
He put his foot down and followed the barrier on the outside lane on the basis that anyone breaking down would do so in the left hand lane Undecided
We finally came out of the fog around the M18 / M1 junction and I was shaking at the thought of what could have happened.
He either had steel nerves or something else...
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation