Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snowflakes

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Snowflakes

When did everybody turn into snowflakes?

Half listening as the Mrs makes herself comfortable for a half hour dose of Emmerdale only to hear "viewers are advised of some distressing scenes"

What the...  Crazy2

29 REPLIES 29
Community Veteran

Re: Snowflakes

And the flashing lights.

Probably some peanuts in there somewhere as well.

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 8

Strobe lighting effects can cause seizures in epileptics.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

You guys would be the first to complain about flashing lights and other allergies if they affected you.

I have a skin hypersensitivity that has been confirmed in a lab from a biopsy that was taken and grown in the lab. I have to avoid too much contact with LIGHT, yes light - the stuff the sun sends to us along with light bulbs etc. At one point I couldn't even look at the TV or computer screen for long before symptoms would become apparent again.

Cause? 4G mobile radiation and a long video call - transmitting a lot of data. The moment i even mentioned this to the dermatologist the first thing she said was "that's the radiation then".

You'll laugh, you'll be skeptical and call me a snowflake too no doubt but the moment it were to affect you, it would suddenly matter wouldn't it. 

The real problem with society is there's too many shallow people out there.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Well yes, but we need to draw the line somewhere surely with warnings on what is affer all 'pre-watershed' television. 

No real knowledge of this other than a quick look here which tells us that only 3% of one in 100 suffer from photosensitive epilepsy many of whom are (like I was for a time after a slight stroke) on an AED drug anyway.

Seems to me at times @Jonpe that the increasingly loud voice of progressive left liberals are pushing us just a bit to hard into a world that must be all things for all people which noble as it might be, is nigh on impossible to achieve.

It never used to be an issue with the old CRT sets, so why now all of a sudden?  

As for being warned off Emmerdale for heavens sake... Roll eyes

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 8

Of course some warnings are superfluous, like packets of peanuts proclaiming "Contains nuts", or TV documentaries with the word sex in the title carrying a warning that it contains scenes of a sexual nature, or frank discussion of sexual topics.  Antihypertensives warning that they may lower blood pressure; I'd be very disappointed if they didn't.  How long before tins of paint state that "Using this product may change the colour of the surface to which it is applied"?  Perhaps they already do; I haven't bought paint in a while.

Highlighted
John_Hull
Aspiring Pro

I suppose I come from the other direction on this. Does it cause you offence to be told that something may cause you offence? If so, then the words pot and kettle are in your future. If not, does it cause you any harm or discomfort to be told that some content may cause someone else distress? If not, I really don't see what the problem is.

So it really doesn't affect you one way or the other, but it may prevent someone who is already going through a really difficult time from adding to their distress. I'm not sure that I can see a downside.

As for the "nuts" comments; speaking as a Trading Standards Officer, those are often caused by businesses trying to bypass their responsibilities. I once dealt with an importer, who put "not suitable for children under 36 months" on every toy, even babies' rattles! They thought it would get them out of checking for choking hazards (naturally I advised them otherwise)
That said, people may be allergic to peanuts but not, for example brazil nuts, so a label on a packet of brazils that says "may contain peanuts" (or more likely peanut oil or residue, because they're packed in the same place), would be a very sensible thing to do (although an even more sensible thing to do, would be to separate their packing areas, if possible.)

Community Veteran

@John_Hull wrote:

Does it cause you offence to be told that something may cause you offence

No mention of any offence other than yours.

Spelling it out plainer some warnings are just plain silly. For instance if you were really badly affected by any flickering lights would you sit in front of a TV? The same for any packets of nuts.

If we keep heading down this road there will be signs everywhere. "Falling down these steps could cause injury" "Holding your breath too long may cause dizziness"

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

@Minivanman wrote:

We are being warned off Emmerdale for heavens sake... Roll eyes

I do not watch Emmerdale but there have been times when I have switched on the telly for a few moments before a program I want to see, so often catch the last 5 minutes of Emmerdale and in almost every instance someone is either shouting or threatening some one else plus a few violent scenes.

Now I know they are actors but I often wonder if some viewers actually see this as real life and act accordingly. Not that I suggesting for one minute Mrs Minivan is effected in this way but there are a number of people who want to model what they see on tv so   could programs like this be one of the several reasons why violence is increasing ?

Just a thought....I have no evidence to back it up.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

@Jonpe wrote:

Of course some warnings are superfluous, like packets of peanuts proclaiming "Contains nuts", or TV documentaries with the word sex in the title carrying a warning that it contains scenes of a sexual nature, or frank discussion of sexual topics.  Antihypertensives warning that they may lower blood pressure; I'd be very disappointed if they didn't.  How long before tins of paint state that "Using this product may change the colour of the surface to which it is applied"?  Perhaps they already do; I haven't bought paint in a while.

No idea why they need to warn about sex in a program, it's very hard to find a film or program that does not have some sexual scene, almost seems compulsory to include sex even though it has in most instances  little or no relevence to the story.

Either the broadcasting companies think we are all prudes or they are afraid someone might sue them for giving no warning.

Very old films contained few sex scenes, it was simply implied and left to your imagination so they could get on with the story.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Neither do I @gleneagles, I just caught what was being said as the Mrs settled down to watch it.

I always find it amazing how many soap actors are either in a pub or a cafe... when these days real life is behind a mobile phone!

PS. I often think when they say things like "this programme contains sex, violence and scenes of a disturbing nature" - what's not to like? 

Feet up, volume up, beer can popped open. Thumbs Up

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Just been reading this Johnathan Pie retweet from @Ahmed Ahmed

"This happened to me last night the Comedy Club in Naples, Florida! An audience member called 9-11 on me because “they feared for their lives” over a joke I told on stage. That’s never happened to me or any comedian I believe. [deleted] crazy man.
The cops were even like [deleted] "

Even in America eh.
Oh, and the deletes are mine by the way. Roll eyes

John_Hull
Aspiring Pro

Spelling it out plainer some warnings are just plain silly. For instance if you were really badly affected by any flickering lights would you sit in front of a TV? The same for any packets of nuts.

If we keep heading down this road there will be signs everywhere. "Falling down these steps could cause injury" "Holding your breath too long may cause dizziness"

In which case, I would ask you to see my second point. It causes you no harm, and may prevent harm to another. So what's the problem? Reductio ad absurdum aside, I really can't see why you're so angry over something that has no affect on you whatsoever.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@John_Hull 

Where's the anger?

That's not how read the post. Annoyed maybe, but then many are as they are driven under the wheels of Nanny State television.

Community Veteran

@John_Hull wrote:

So what's the problem? Reductio ad absurdum aside, I really can't see why you're so angry over something that has no affect on you whatsoever.

There is no real problem. There is no offence. There is no anger.

As I said some warnings are just plain silly nothing else.

Who would have thought that saying something was silly would cause offence and make someone angry.Crazy