Did you mean: 

Snow :)

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Snow :)

just had to share this Smiley

https://www.facebook.com/southendnewsnetwork/videos/1237675542978583/

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Warning: Video in link contains language which may not be suitable for children.

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 62

Re: Snow :)

as ex North Yorkshire resident I fully agree - I remember that every winter I used to put on winter tyres and a bag of sand in my rear wheel drive car and then got on with it

Travel time into work 25 miinutes normally - in 4inches of snow 30 minutes and the first two miles were on ungritted and unsnowploughed country lanes

Just to add schools were never closed

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

I remember as a kid back in the 80s we seemed to cope better with the snow back then. Today we seem to grind to a halt as a country despite all our better tech, more efficient gritters etc.

Had to take little one to nursery today, plenty of morons out there on the road as usual. Snow falling off car roofs all over the place, one moron doing 50-60mph on the inner lane of a dual carriageway (you know, the one everyone avoids cos its still covered in snow that the grit didn't melt), all sorts of other idiots doing daft things like they never had an education on how to survive.

And as the song lyrics in that video say, we pray for snow every year Crazy2

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 32

What we have now is nothing compared to what some of us have experienced in the past. I remember, even though I was only a kid, Mum blindly opening the door to let the dog out in the morning only for it to run in to a bank of snow!

It was later in the day that we realise the snow had drifted up to the eves of the house and it was two floors! That may only have been a drift but there was still excess of feet of snow outside. I don’t think we got out of the house for days IIRC.

198kHz
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 11

Be careful out there - and don't touch the snow!  Shocked

Remember you are unique - just like everyone else
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

@Mook something like this ?  Smileysnow.jpg

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Anyone remember playing "ice races" in the morning before school with the ice on the inside of your bedroom windows?

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 213

I remember back in the early 70's the class (1st year grammar) complaining of being cold. The teacher got us all to stand up then jump up and down while waving our arms about to warm up as that is what he did in his country.

Five minutes later we were back with the lesson (Latin)!

When thick snow we traipsed up a hill for around a mile which was better than getting cold waiting for the bus. The only time the school closed is when the heating system was down.

As for snowball fights - a right of passage. Falling over and getting hurt was all part of the fun and enjoyment of the snow - as kids, anywayWink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 62

I only remember one thing being banned was making ice slides after a teacher fell over and broke his arm

He was always known as GEPS because he was called George E P Sidaway and after he retired he bought a Messerschmitt bubble car in which, unfortunately, he and his wife were killed in a head on crash in the Lake District

Community Veteran

@198kHz wrote:

Be careful out there - and don't touch the snow!  Shocked

Oh how sad that our country has come to this!

Trouble is he's right - in our compensation culture country the school will be sued by the first parent that thinks they can make a gain from it.

Community Veteran

At my school we were once scheduled for games - normally football - which was not possible in 6" deep snow. So instead the games master organised a snowball fight in our games kit with hot showers afterwards.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Fixes: 123

@7up wrote:

.....in our compensation culture country the school will be sued by the first parent that thinks they can make a gain from it.

Sadly I have to agree with that.

Customer and Forum Moderator.

To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Luzern
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

As to the modern transport debacles when snow or ice comes, I have a feeling that so much now is made of lighter material to optimise performance vs fuel used. On road that would make them skittish. Commuting by rail, I was more sure to get to my destination either in a diesel electric with it's massive motors at either end, or an older electric with its works beneath.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

@Luzern wrote:

As to the modern transport debacles when snow or ice comes, I have a feeling that so much now is made of lighter material to optimise performance vs fuel used. On road that would make them skittish. Commuting by rail, I was more sure to get to my destination either in a diesel electric with it's massive motors at either end, or an older electric with its works beneath.

Must be said the older slam door trains didn't get affected too badly by snow they just seemed to run regardless. I remember being on one as a kid when there was snow everywhere. Can't forget it as some kids had made a pile of snow on the track that the train hit, the whole train knew about it when we impacted it. Guard came rushing round to reassure everyone we were ok and still intact.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

No snow here in our neck of the woods, we must be in some sort of favourable micro climate bubble. 

Had an email earlier from my cousin in Nova Scotia 'basking' in 2°C whilst in Moscow, the advice is not to send your kids to school if it drops below -50°C. 

Brrr.

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.