cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snouts in the trough

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Snouts in the trough

There's a BBC report that "Bosses" incomes are 386 times the living wage in the UK. That's obscene!  Fine if they are entrepreneurs who take a genuine risk, but the dark princes of the senior executives of large companies rarely take those risks. They certainly don't bring 350 times the value of the average worker.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Snouts in the trough

I nearly fell off my perch seeing that come from you! Next thing you know artmo will be doing charity work!

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

AlaricAdair wrote:

Fine if they are entrepreneurs who take a genuine risk

Much the same way I look at it. If it's their own company. all their own work, I wouldn't care if it was thousands of times whatever.

And there are also many so called civil servants on vast unexplained amounts that cannot be justified for the work they do. Except for the old chestnut of "if they were in the private sector". But no one ever seems to ask well why aren't they. Probably because it's a bit of a rhetorical question.

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

It is also claimed that if we don't pay them these massive amounts, they'll go abroad.  About a decade ago some TV programme took the CVs of a number of top executives to companies around the world and asked if they would get employment there.  The answer was a universal No.  Fluency in the local language was a barrier, but even in the English-speaking world their lack of local knowledge would preclude them from being shortlisted.  I don't suppose even George Osborne will be editing Pravda any time soon.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

So on that basis, time for mass paycuts, get some actual value for money on the go... Grin

Like that'd ever actually happen, nobody these days has the trouser department equipment to do such a thing... Funny

Minivanman
Hero

Easy solution which will never be implemented would be to limit wages/earnings to a maximum amount over and above the minimum. George Orwell I think it was suggested a ratio of 10:1.

That we live in a country indeed in a world where obscene inequality exists is never in doubt, as is our own inability to do anything about it. Make it an election issue and you'd be tarred and feathered as a rabid communists.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

7up wrote:

I nearly fell off my perch seeing that come from you!

Good Heavens 7UP, if my tenants are not given reasonable wages how will they afford my rent increases?

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
davidj66
Rising Star

Nothing new really - 20+ years ago, we were having to give the employees the annual "results presentation" for our large multifunctional Company, which at the time was in the 20 largest in the UK

One of the accountants had got the full print out which included director's remuneration and we were startled to see that the then CEO had received more than the entire labour budget for our plant of 119 employees including all senior management staff!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

There'll always be inequality, those that have the capital have the power, and absolute power corrupts absolutely... Smiley

I'm sure if I won a large sum of money on the idiot tax, I mean lottery (if I bothered playing), I'd probably become an unbearable person, well, more than I already am at least... Funny

Minivanman
Hero

@twocvbloke

"There'll always be inequality"

All the time we have a hole in our bum and subscribe as we must to human nature. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Perhaps we should outlaw those rolling contracts whereby someone who fails miserably at his/her job is given a massive payout.

Minivanman
Hero

Well that's for the shareholders to decide..... and yet, RBS for example is taxpayer owned and directors on such contracts get multi-million pound payouts.

Stinks? I can smell it from here.  

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

AlaricAdair wrote:

7up wrote:

I nearly fell off my perch seeing that come from you!

Good Heavens 7UP, if my tenants are not given reasonable wages how will they afford my rent increases?

You know at the same time as being funny... it's also not.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I guess it's not all fun being a landlord, state some tenants leave the property in or fail to pay rent for months.

With recent government changes it's likely many of those owning a second property will sell up and come out of the rental market resulting in even less properties available for rent.

I have never owned more than one property and cost of upkeep uses most of my current income so no axe to grind, just pointing out that with less property available it will be those with the least who will suffer most (as usual).

With limited supply of houses what is available to rent, the cost of renting will go sky high.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

gleneagles wrote:

With recent government changes it's likely many of those owning a second property will sell up and come out of the rental market resulting in even less properties available for rent.

Surely @gleneagles if these property owners leave the rental market does that not mean that those properties will end up on the for sale market? Otherwise the owner will end up with assets that aren’t producing a return and I can’t see that happening.