Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snooker

MattyC
Champion
Fixes: 46

Snooker

I'm off to see a quarter final at the Crucible next week (given that it's a stone's throw away from work). First time going, but a long time fan. Does anyone else watch it?

My money is on Judd Trump this year.

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
14 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Snooker

I've lived in Sheffield all my life and ever since the Snooker came to the Crucible I've promised myself a visit even if only for the experience.

Typically for me I've never got a round tuit. (a bit of Sheffieldish)

Something to do before I die.

PS You can buy a round tuit on Surrey street.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
MattyC
Champion

There's someone on Twitter selling a couple for face value if you're feeling impulsive. This Saturday.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

I've watched some of it, not as much as I would like, so a bit of Catch-up to do. And one year (something to do before I die) a visit to the Crucible will be on the list Wink

Fixes: 125

Love snooker but haven't been watching the World Championship this year yet.

I think it's a great sport to watch on TV but having been to see the Masters (I think it was) at Wembley a few years back I'd never go again as I found it very disappointing. I did get to meet Steve Davis and John Parrott, thoughSmiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

MattyC
Champion

What did you find disappointing about it?

Fixes: 125

Although we were only a couple of rows back we were fixed to one view so I missed the multiple camera angles. Amazing the number of people who still talked although not loud enough for the referee/players to hear but off-putting to me. There were a few boring frames but you just couldn't get up and make a drink or stretch your legs and, being over 6'4", did become a problem at times.

Perhaps it would have been different at the World Championships but I felt the atmosphere was lacking somewhat.

All in all I am glad I went for the experience especially as the tickets were free from work as it was sponsored by Saga at the timeWink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

It'd be more interesting if they went back to using celluloid balls, the "Will it go bang or won't it??" aspect would cause some excitement... Tongue

Taking 'a bad contact' to new heights.....along with the table and anyone within a 6 metre radius Shocked

MattyC
Champion

I'm on the fifth row so I should be alright Buck2

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

SWMBO who was going into hospital for a "wimmins" op, presented me with a ticket for snooker when it was held at the Wembley Conference Centre for during the period she would be in.

As a huge fan of televised snooker I was much looking forward to it.

Then things started to go wrong. Mrs P would not have known, but in the Conference Centre most but the very few front row spectators sat a very long way back from the single table that was in use, which looked remarkably like the size of a postage-stamp.

I was sat in a not very comfortable seat about four or five rows from the back around 45deg to the table, between two very large men who both accommodated their arms on "my" seat arms, seating was not staggered so that you viewed through a gap between the patrons in front of you, with the proverbial woman with a large hat in front.

As I moved around to see past the woman's hat, I could sense the wave of those behind me moving around to see past me. The woman was also a fidget and constantly on the move.

The worst though, I was unlucky enough to be watching a match that included "The Grinder" Canadian Cliff Thurburn, I don't really recall who he was playing but might have been Eddie Charlton, himself no sprinter of snooker.

It was the most boring couple of hours it took to play the first session I think I have ever spent. Spectators were falling asleep all round, some snoring quite loudly enough that the referee asks stewards to deal with the noise.

I didn't return to my seat after the first break in play. And have never told Mrs P about it.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.

The atmosphere in the Crucible during match time is supposed to be a world away from the 'arena experience' and is something I would love to sample.

I have only been in the Crucible once, years ago to watch a play and it's very intimate.

I spoke to a couple of Snooker addicts in Vancouver in 2004 and they were amazed that I wasn't a regular in the Crucible during the tournament.

MattyC
Champion

It is, yeah. I think there is only about 10 rows when the snooker is on, stretching round panoramic style. Given that it's a theater, all seats are there for optimal viewing (I should hope).

@petlew - I actually find the chess match style games with trapping the opposite players more interesting when watching it on the TV. Guessing the gameplay was just rubbish?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Don't get me wrong matyc, I very much like the long rounds of (as you say chess like) safety play. However Thurburn was just plain slow, circulating the table, lining up shots, and then not playing them taking an interminable amount of time about it. His opponents were occasionally heard to complain about it. claiming he was playing mind-games rather than snooker.

He made Peter Ebdon look positively quick by comparison.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
MattyC
Champion

I get you. Looking likely that we'll be seeing either Ronnie or Selby (providing that they both win).