Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snake Oil

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Snake Oil

I cannot believe that the NHS has actually been funding homeopathic remedies so I''m delighted to read that in London at least they are pulling the plug on these mad hatter purveyors of snake oils. They must think we are right mugs.

Like religion, fine if you want to follow your beliefs and fine if it works for you utter nonsense though it is - but don't expect me to pay for it in any way, shape, or form.

Jeepers Crazy2

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-43373817

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
18 REPLIES
Highlighted
kevdwyer
Dabbler

Re: Snake Oil

Yes, I totally agree.  The book "Bad Science" by Ben Goldacre should be part of the National Curriculum.

I like the Mitchell and Webb sketch "Homeopathic A+E"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMGIbOGu8q0

Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

There is some merit in "some" of the snake oil recipes though,   and my missus should know.... she has arthiritis in both knees  ( one is worse than the other.... but.. ).. and I suggested to her that she tries some "Tiger Balm" ointment... to give pain relief.... she is adamant that it "works for her"... and does indeed, relieve the pain (mostly)... and helps her to cope with it...

Similarly, there are many reports in the papers lately, of how people have "cured themselves" of Cancer(s)  using Cannabis Oil, and similar stuff. which is "not available on the NHS"..

A small jar of Tiger Balm costs about £6.00 from Boots & other Chemists... and lasts about 3 to 4 weeks depending on how much she uses... as it is a "medication" that she can use, whilst on Warfarin, and does not interact with the Warfarin upsetting her INR.. which most painkillers available on the NHS do... it should be available on prescription from the NHS.

Unfortunately, it is the "bean counters" who have no knowledge of the medications that DO work, against the "snake oil" remedies that don`t... and therefore, unless it has been manufactured by a "reputable" chemical industrialist, ( who the government can tax in various manners) it does not feature in the NHS "looking after its people " mandate...and therefore sufferers have to "foot the bill" for their medications.

Jonpe
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

Homoeopaths claim that trials have shown a reduction in udder infections in cows that have drunk from water troughs where a homoeopathic remedy had been added.  Apart from that I don't think any reputable double-blind trials have been carried out on humans proving homoeopathy to be effective.

Some of the spices in Indian cooking are said to have medicinal properties; a woman with a tumour that hadn't responded to treatment found it shrinking after ingesting one of the spices commonly found in curries.

Community Veteran

At the same time the NHS is heading towards mass medication with Statins on the basis of research carried out by the pharmaceutical companies who produce the statins, while trying to gloss over the side effects.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@AlaricAdair wrote:

while trying to gloss over the side effects.

Like early onset dementia, they seem to forget about that one a lot... Roll eyes

Fixes: 225

From the OP link:

Common homeopathic treatments are for asthma, ear infections, hay-fever, depression, stress, anxiety, allergy and arthritis.

Homeopathy is based on the concept that diluting a version of a substance that causes illness has healing properties.

So how do you dilute what causes depression, anxiety and stress?

I tried homeopathy privately back in the early 90's. After a couple of sessions I decided it was a load of bunkum.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

@Mav wrote:

So how do you dilute what causes depression, anxiety and stress?

You add water to the alcohol, so that it`s effect is less ... Roll eyes

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Whilst I agree it should not be funded on the NHS to be sure it's utter bunkum every item used would have to be subject to years of clinical trials, very costly and is not going to happen.

One thing that we overlook is the power of the mind. Doctors have been known to prescribe placebos and patients taking them have in some cases reported to feeling better, perhaps due to the attention they got from the Doctor or a feeling of not wanting to let him down ? Who knows the point is they worked.

You only have to think of what people believe to see the power of the mind, I understand some people travel many miles to bathe in water that has healing properties and yes there have been claims by some they have been cured.

There are also cases where the body has the power to cure it's self so if for example you happen to be taking suppliment x or whatever at the time you will be fully convinced it's miracle stuff and recommend it to friends.

In my opinion if you take something and it works for you keep taking it.

What works for me might not work for you.

So what works for me ?

Jack Daniels recipe works for me, certainly feel better when taking it.

Fixes: 225

@gleneagles wrote:
Jack Daniels recipe works for me, certainly feel better when taking it.

Do you really feel better or do you just not think you are as bad?Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

maranello
Pro

As pointed out by @gleneagles, clinical trials of alternative remedies can be costly. But I would offer to take part in any clinical trials for Jack Daniels, Johnnie Walker, Glenmorangie, Highland Park, to name but a few

My other car isn't a Ferrari
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Nothing worked better for me during a bout of flu I had just recently than Famous Grouse. It was no cure but it did help me with some much needed sleep which was. 

Sure there are lots of natural remedies out there which worked either because we thought they did, or they actually did work but sadly modern medicine was going to give us all the answers - which to be fair much of it did, but grannies home cures got pushed to the back of the cupboard and got lost in memory. 

As for this homeopathy 'like for like' bunkum, they should shove back to the 18th century were it belongs - unless it works for you of course Wink

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@maranello wrote:

As pointed out by @gleneagles, clinical trials of alternative remedies can be costly. But I would offer to take part in any clinical trials for Jack Daniels, Johnnie Walker, Glenmorangie, Highland Park, to name but a few

Bagsie the Jura trial!!!!!

Community Veteran

When I planning to have a bout of the flu or common cold, I take care to hide the bottle of 25 year old Talisker in case SWMBO decides to make me a hot toddy. I could have a litre of blended/cooking whisky but her fingers will stray to the nectar bottle given a chance. I suppose it's an incentive to get cured knowing your hot toddy contains £10 worth of single malt.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

@twocvbloke wrote:

Bagsie the Jura trial!!!!!

What are you charged with,..... Wonder if it will be a big case  ?