cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snails in High Places

Fixes: 47

Snails in High Places

What is it with snails and high places.

I have a bird feeder hung in my apple tree that takes fat balls and I went into the garden today to put the last 2 balls in the feeder.

The feeder cover was full of snails which had clearly slid up the apple tree and along the branch to the feeder.

I have seen some on the underside of the house guttering. What they go up there for I haven't a clue.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
5 REPLIES
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Snails in High Places

It is indeed very odd, and I don't know the reason either, @Strat

I often find them at various heights on my garage door, from whence they're lobbed up onto the roof for the birds.

The occasional really daft specimen climbs up to the wooden framework above the pond, and some of them fall into the water.

Not young enough to know everything
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

They are looking for the garlic butter. Laugh

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I took this pic about 6 years ago, the feeder is (well, was) hanging on the washing line, and yet the snail managed to get up the pole, along the washing line and down onto the coconut shell feeder, how the heck do they know there's food there?!? Huh

SnailBirdFeeder

198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Clever snail!

I bet he drinks Carling Black Label.

Not young enough to know everything
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Talking of using the last of those fat balls, I stopped using them last week as there seems to be more than enough for those nesting birds to feed on now without hanging them out. Going to miss the little guys in the garden but common sense dictates I guess.

As for those pesky snails, well I've never had them on the bird feeder, but I have found 'em in my wellies or stuck up the spout of the watering can!

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.