cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smoking may make you Bald

Swift
Dabbler

Smoking may make you Bald

Smoking may help make men prematurely bald, new research suggests.
The habit is already linked to numerous aspects of ill health, including lung cancer, heart disease and impotence.
Now a study of Asian men has shown that puffing on cigarettes can also hasten male hair loss.
Male pattern baldness, or androgenetic alopecia, is hereditary and partly caused by male sex hormone
It also varies between different races. Asian men are less likely to go bald with age than white Europeans or Americans.
The connection with smoking was seen after scientists surveyed 740 Taiwanese men with an average age of 65.
Information was gathered about the age at which the men started losing their hair, risk factors which may have affected their hair loss, and their smoking history.
The men's height and weight were measured, and blood samples analysed.
Risk of hair loss increased with advancing age, but remained lower than the average risk for Caucasian men.
The findings, reported in the journal Archives of Dermatology, showed that smoking led to significantly more baldness even after taking other factors into account.
-----------------------
My O'Lad smoked like a chimney up until 2005 then stopped at the age of 61 after smoking for twenty odd years. I reckon he should be half bald and half dead by now.  Nope, full head of hair on him. Statistics Huh Pfft!
But then the statistics do say 'May'

32 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Smoking may make you Bald

I always wonder how the managed to keep such an amazing scientific breakthrough a closely guarded secret.
Not the hair loss thing but the technique of running a Parallel Universe in which to test all these theories.
The researchers naturally knew they needed to have these sample people also existing in the Parallel Universe and not smoking in order to do an accurate comparison.
Next they will be revealing the existence of Transporter Beam equipment, probably stored in Area 51.  Roll eyes
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
suesykes
Grafter

Anti smokers are no better than racists in my opinion....
I'm a smoker and enjoy it.  I know all the health implications and the 800 toxic chemicals I'm inhaling, but I still enjoy it.
I dont smoke in front of non smokers, or anyone else who doesn't want to breath in my smoke... I can understand that and respect it.
I do hate it though when people tell me I have to stop because THEY dont like it.  I respect non smokers, I expect the same back.
Leave me to die on my own!!!
pcoventry
Grafter

Quote from: littlerick

I dont smoke in front of non smokers, or anyone else who doesn't want to breath in my smoke... I can understand that and respect it.

Fair play to you
Swift
Dabbler

I think the decision to ban smoking in Pubs and Cafes should have been left up to the landlords/owners to decide. At the end of the day it's their profits at stake.

I suppose I reluctantly agree in principle with PJ.
This kind of selective treatment could be taken to extremes.
However

Selective or restricted treatment for ailments directly attributable to smoking, drinking and taking controlled drugs to excess I might agree with as these are direct conscious actions by the individual in full knowledge of the consequences.
Maybe even a referral to private fee paying services freeing up the NHS for more 'deserving' cases.
Controversial subject indeed

Quote from: Swift
I think the decision to ban smoking in Pubs and Cafes should have been left up to the landlords/owners to decide. At the end of the day it's their profits at stake.

If they are prepared to carry the financial can for alienating a large proportion of their customers.
Swift
Dabbler

Well I hate to state the obvious but non smokers had been sitting in these enviroments around people who smoked for years. They may have had no choice back then (and may not have liked it) but in regards to any loss of profit these Pubs and Cafes were suffering from, well, they must have been very small losses of profit. If there had been any huge loss of profit due to smokers, Landlords and Cafe owners would have banned it themselves, long before the government stepped in and banned it.
LiamM
Grafter

I disagree.  There may have been plenty of landlords who may have wished to stop smoking, but simply couldn't because of the threat of customers going elsewhere.
It's a level playing field for landlords now and most who I speak to say that they've actually seen an upturn in food sales and very little change to wet sales.
I personally enjoy going to my local pub and into pubs, bars and restaurants a lot more now.

Well I hate to state the obvious but non smokers had been sitting in these enviroments around people who smoked for years. They may have had no choice back then

Lots of people back then did make the choice and stayed away. They can now go to these places if they wish.
If there had been any huge loss of profit due to smokers, Landlords and Cafe owners would have banned it themselves

They wouldn't have information about the potential gains or losses a ban would produce.
There could also be a suggestion of discrimination.

If I boarded a crowded bus with a loud radio I would probably be thrown off. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few....or the one.....as someone once said.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Strat
If I boarded a crowded bus with a loud radio I would probably be thrown off.

Where I live, if you were to do that, I think it would be the least of the bus drivers' worries.
It's a shame, but quite true. A situation made so much better by Transport for Livingstone allowing free bus travel for under 16's a few years back. Not something I disagree with in principle, problem is that it doesn't of course distinguish between those who are worthy of it and who are not. There are plenty more of the latter unfortunately.
Despite their propaganda machine displaying adverts saying that "Bad Behaviour Will Get Your Free Travel Revoked", I've yet to see that applied, and I fail to see how this can be enforced when they often don't even bother showing anything to the driver when they board.
James
Grafter

I propose a curfew of 4pm for all under 18's Monday to Sunday.
Problem solved.
pcoventry
Grafter

Hmm Bailey for Prime Minister  Grin

Quote from: Jameseh
I propose a curfew of 4pm for all under 18's Monday to Sunday.
Problem solved.

Can't agree with that James
Very damaging to two businesses.
The Pub/Club trade and the fake ID business. Wink
Neither of which I am involved with I hasten to add Smiley
Quote from: PC
Hmm Bailey for Prime Minister  Grin

Not a terrible fate I would personally wish on anyone Wink
N/A

Even Mr B is definately less short sighted than our current Prime Minister.
But then we'd have a gaping hole in the provision of light entertainment (and the odd bits of support he does every now and then ;P )