cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smoking in Cars Ban

Fixes: 47

Smoking in Cars Ban

The BMA has called for a ban on smoking in cars.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-15744352
Inevitably there are strong comments from both sides.
Personally, as a ex-smoker I have no problem with people smoking in their cars as long as no-one else is hurt as a result.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
25 REPLIES
Steve
Pro

Re: Smoking in Cars Ban

Strat from your link I don't get the logic below Undecided
The doctors' union said an outright ban - even if there were no passengers - would be the best way of protecting children as well as non-smoking adults.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

As a kid who used to have to travel in the back of a smokers car I can say it was bloody horrible. It really was bad. Even when the smoker didn't smoke the car was horrible.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!

Quote from: Steve
Strat from your link I don't get the logic below Undecided

That is indeed quite illogical Huh but don't shoot the messenger Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Totally agree with a ban, then number of smokers who have :-
lost the fag
used both hands to light it
dumped the ends (still lighted) out the window (With a bike coming behind/alongside them  Angry)
not watching the road as they look for their fix

etc
Having grown up in a household of 3 smokers + an open fire, the nights I would stand up, and INTO a smoke filled area were almost every one  Crazy
Personally I HATE the smell of fags and when you meet heavy smokers in stores  Lips are sealed
Steve
Pro

Well I'm a smoker ( A heavy smoker ) Yes Its a disgusting habit, But just looking at It or the smell of a ciggie Isn't going to kill you Is It? Recently moved home and when I realised just how much nicotine was on my walls In my old place especially where pictures used to hang, Yuck, I don't and have not smoked once In my new place, God only knows what damage I have done to my lungs, I suppose I will find out one way or another. Sad
Eliminating smokers from all walks of life ( Bus stops, Pubs, etc. ) Is good for the young but an absolute nightmare for the smoker. And now smokers maybe wont even be allowed to smoke In their own car? Wonder who thought that one up. Its like all those Linux people out there who have something against M$, ( Their out to get me ) Grin Grin
Ah well at least the forum's smoke free. Smiley
David_W
Rising Star

Quick question, when the smoking ban came into place in the entire nations of England and Wales there was an exemption.... the houses of Parliament, our "noble" leaders decided it was ok for them to have a fag indoors but not us meer mortals.  Has that changed now or are they still exempting themselves from laws they expect everyone else to follow?

Quote from: The
while the Houses of Parliament are technically exempt from the new law, both the Commons and the Lords have agreed to make all enclosed parts of the Palace of Westminster smoke-free
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I think a point is being missed; this is a proposal by the BMA. A lot of discussion before it gets anywhere near a law. But how exactly is it going to be enforced? The Police can't stop mobile phone use while driving, I can't see your average bobby getting excited about this, (should) have far more serious things to get on with.
Like most distractions while driving it may be something a traffic plod may add to his list of things to charge you with if you're pulled for something more serious.
Otherwise personally I think its a non-starter.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Well I'm a smoker ( A heavy smoker ) Yes Its a disgusting habit, But just looking at It or the smell of a ciggie Isn't going to kill you Is It?

Don't take this the wrong way mate.. but being in a room full of smokers is horrible for us non-smokers. Its really strong and you smokers don't realise just how bad it is for us. It's not like we've got a choice either as most smokers just light up regardless of anyone else in the room.
Pubs used to be the worst but they're pretty pleasant to breathe in now people don't smoke in them.
Community Veteran

Yes, funny about pubs. Landlords seemed to be scared it would drive people away but it appears to be the opposite - current downturn rather overriding that of course.
Community Veteran

I remember the old days where even the cabbies used to smoke. That was horrible too.
Ellis
Grafter

Quote from: Sprite
Well I'm a smoker ( A heavy smoker ) Yes Its a disgusting habit, But just looking at It or the smell of a ciggie Isn't going to kill you Is It?

Don't take this the wrong way mate.. but being in a room full of smokers is horrible for us non-smokers. Its really strong and you smokers don't realise just how bad it is for us. It's not like we've got a choice either as most smokers just light up regardless of anyone else in the room.
Pubs used to be the worst but they're pretty pleasant to breathe in now people don't smoke in them.

As a retired decorator, I can remember how when we had to redecorate a pub, we dreaded the job. Washing off nicotine from the ceilings would make you sick. Health and safety wouldn't allow it these days.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Regardless of the health argument do you remember a case where a motorist was fined for unwrapping a sweet in a car http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g186216-c9626/United-KingdomCheesyriving.Tips.For.Visitors.html
General points
Like in the USA, people who injure or kill other road users, including pedestrians, through carelessness or neglect, are increasingly sent to prison.  Recently British drivers have been prosecuted for searching for sweets (candy), unwrapping a chocolate bar, drinking water, and putting on their makeup while driving.
So what is different for lighting/smoking a cigarette - either way you are less in control of a car
Community Veteran

It's not just about being safely in control of the car though jim, it's about the health effects of the fags themselves.