cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smoking - a ban too far?

Fixes: 123

Smoking - a ban too far?

Open parks ban
Smoking could be banned in Trafalgar and Parliament squares and London parks if a report by the city's Health Commission is implemented.

I hate smoking and it's effects but still respect that others wish to do so. Smoking is not allowed in my car or anywhere in the house except the conservatory if it weather is bad.
I think a broader smoking ban in parks and other open spaces is a step too far although it seems to have worked in New York.
What do others think?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

46 REPLIES
TORPC
Grafter

Re: Smoking - a ban too far?

As an XSmoker & a parent, I think in parks it is ok to ban smoking, however in Trafalgar & Parliament Squares etc is a step to far
They might as well turn into the Kremlin or whereever it was that banned alchohol & adopt the ban to all tobacco products in the country, however they won't as they make to much from the taxes, then wonder why they opened up opportunities to the criminal minds, which smuggle them in
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I'm a smoker  Embarrassed  but I am appalled when I see parents smoking in school playgrounds while waiting to pick up their children, similarly in kiddie's play areas (fenced-off areas with swings, slide etc.) in the local park - these are two areas where an immediate ban would make sense and be much easier to enforce (being relatively small areas).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
RobPN
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I say ban the disgusting habit everywhere.  I hold my breath when I see a smoker approaching in the street etc., and I can't count the number of times I've accidently breathed in a faceful of stinking smoke or tried to avoid a cloud of ash ...  Angry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@RobPN.... total ban is going too far...... it is a bad habit.... and difficult to break... took me 3 years gradually reducing from 25 a day to nil.... however, I do agree with you , about walking into a cloud of smoke as you are walking down the high street, or in crowded areas.... the biggest problem is.... if you ban it... then you have to "police" it.... like having Park Keepers or Town Marshalls... just on the look out for "bad behaviour" .... which  ....... costs money.... and would the smokers accept the "authority"  ... or would they challenge the "parky" or "marshall".. and cause a confrontation in a public place.... Would YOU want to be a "parky" or " marshall" ??  getting people to do that job would be difficult too....
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@RobPN get a life
If smoking is so bad you've never been exposed to anything serious.  Crazy
There are many things which need dealing with before taking away personal liberties by the health police  Roll eyes
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

All I can say is that smoking takes all your money and then kills you!
I gave it up 'cold turkey' from 30 John Player Specials a day some 20 odd years ago!
Yes - ban it completely!
Geoff,
York.

Quote from: NedLudd
All I can say is that smoking takes all your money and then kills you!
May kill you.
Many more things can kill you, too.
I do understand how difficult it can be to give up; SWMBO has given up 3 times in the last 4 years even managing to go two years without a puff. But now she is finding it extremely hard to stop Sad

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I am also in favour of a ban.
How can adults puffing away on fags expect their children not to smoke if they do not set an example themselves.
Many of us will have been on the top deck of a bus years ago where the smoke was so thick it was like a fog so what is it like in peoples houses that smoke indoors ? No problem if it's just their lungs that are getting wrecked but what about the secondary smoke the children have no choice but to endure.
Perhaps an alternative to a ban is triple the price that would be a good inducement to stop.

Do children smoke because their parents do?
I and many of my peers didn't. Both my former step-children have never smoked yet both their mother and biological father did for the first 14 years of their lives.
I didn't start smoking till I was 19 and couldn't see the point of it. Waste of money, time and effort as far as I was concerned. I only started to see what it was like and not because of peer pressure or the fact that my father smoked. I did it for about a year.

TORPC
Grafter

Like the quacks that leave surgical instruments / swabs inside patients during an operation ?Huh
Or
A Chernobyl type disaster
Or
TFOA (Things falling off Aircraft)
Or
Gong to war for a fight we should not be involved in
Or
Walking down the Street & being struck by lightening
This list could potentially be endless
If they Triple the price it will leave the gap wide open for crime by the gangs smuggling in the contraband & then who would pay the extra towards the policing (US TAXPAYERS) no doubt
I don't know the average price of a pack of 10 or 20 these days, however I suspect a pack of 20 is somewhere in the region of approx £6 - £7
That is a lot of money to go up in smoke & that could go towards a slap up meal & night out with your OH / Extra food in the cupboards / some High tech you've always dreamed of / House improvements / A New wardrobe of clothes & much much more,
Not to mention that you'll no longer stink of smoke (wherever you go), yellowing fingers & teeth will be no more / Clothes will stay smelling of the soap powder / comfort used / House / Car, will stay fresher for longer / you'll feel healthier & not struggle for breath whilst walking to the corner shop / you'll also start to look & feel younger
It is never too late to give up smoking & if I can do it anyone can Wink
nanotm
Pro

from most shops a pack of 20 is now closer to a tenner (some brands are cheaper)
a 50g pouch has gone up to £16 duty free stuff is half that price and the stuff from the local truck drivers is still the same £5 a pouch it has been for the last decade .....
the shops are selling a lot less the truck stop always has a thriving business, they even have guys in transit's doing delivery rounds on the local asbo centre ......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

As an example of how addictive it is.....
I drive my bus past the cancer unit at Addenbrooks hospital several times a day. One of the regular smokers, in all weathers is a nurse who is also pregnant. Sad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I think smoking is disgusting full stop. Why would anyone want to do that to themselves?
Any ban is welcome IMO.
In my younger years, going into a pub full of smoke was disgustingly unpleasant. These days its rather nice.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

To those calling for a total ban, please remember just how much extra tax is contributed by smokers (far outweighs the extra cost to the NHS by the way), do YOU want to make up the shortfall by paying what smokers currently pay (£12.3 billion in 2012-13 between excise duty and VAT)?  Ignoring black-market and couterfeit supplies, the vast majority of the price of smoking is tax paid to the government which subsidises taxation on non smokers.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.