Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smog

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Smog

Millions of asthmatics unable to breathe as giant cloud of Saharan sand and toxic air covers Britain in layer of smog
Lots of information on the Smog affecting large parts of the UK

Just two sources...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2594730/Health-warning-smog-soars-dangerous-high-country-Peo...
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/sahara-dust-cloud-reaches-uk-3341912

23 REPLIES
BigMonka
Dabbler

Re: Smog

I'm confused, on the map of pollution levels, Newcastle is in the green, but i've been seeing "mist" for a few days now which looks identical to that "smog"... also I got loads of that "Saharan Dust" on my car on Monday!  Shocked
Infinity
Pro

Diesel engines emit particulates (or soot), which are increasingly being linked with asthma.
Although car manufacturers are attempting to make these particulates smaller (as is now legally required), these micro particulates now penetrate even further into the lungs resulting in less obvious, but longer-term damage.

https://www.eta.co.uk/environmental-info/emissions-what-goes-in-must-come-out/
http://www.lordgrey.org.uk/~f014/usefulresources/aric/Resources/Fact_Sheets/Key_Stage_4/Air_Pollutio...
There is a change in Wind direction due tonight, which should remove most of the Continental Smog and Sahara Sand being carried over the UK
After the first day of Sahara Sand being deposited on the cars, no further occurrences.
And being in the Countryside (Derbyshire) Air Pollution is extremely small.
And no visible Smog at all where I live, the Hills are still very visible, with Sheep grazing in the Green fields.

When I lived in London for a while, my spectacles would be covered in particles during the day, not so here..
nadger
Rising Star

We live about 400ft above sea level, in South Beds, and the haze is still there this morning  Cry
Explains why my COPD has been worse than usual for a few days.
Fixes: 47

Looking out of the window it looks like a standard misty day to me, something I've seen regularly all my life.
Without the news of the unusual levels of pollution it contains I wouldn't be any the wiser and would have no problem with going out in it.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

and in today's Times (paywalled) http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/environment/article4052955.ece
The Met Office has admitted that it overstated the threat from air pollution yesterday and said that people had been panicked partly because it had just introduced a new forecasting system.
On Tuesday the Met Office forecast that there would be high or very high levels of air pollution across southern England and the Midlands yesterday.
However, results from 130 monitoring sites showed that it remained low or moderate for most of the day over most of the country.
In the late afternoon, air pollution reached 7 on a scale of 1 to 10 in the South East and East Anglia but nowhere reached 10, the “very high” level that triggers official advice that even healthy people should reduce physical exertion.
Paul Agnew, the Met Office’s air quality manager, said: “It’s not as bad as we thought.”
He said this was partly because winds had been more southerly than expected, meaning that the UK received less polluted air from the continent than had been assumed. The amount of Saharan dust reaching the ground was also lower than had been expected.
Mr Agnew said the air pollution level had been worse three weeks ago but that had received less media coverage.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Diesel engines emit particulates (or soot), which are increasingly being linked with asthma.
Although car manufacturers are attempting to make these particulates smaller (as is now legally required), these micro particulates now penetrate even further into the lungs resulting in less obvious, but longer-term damage.  

Petrol engines also emit soot particles, especially if the fuel/air mixture is incorrect. However, petrol contains benzene, which is one of the most carcinogenic compounds known. See attached. If you park your car in an enclosed space, such as a garage, you'll get some every time you go near it. Nobody seems to mention that!
Diesel for me every time.
Community Veteran

I still don't understand why diesel is more expensive than petrol as it used to be the other way around.
Which made sense as I assume it goes through less refining.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I blame the government!  Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: billnotben
I still don't understand why diesel is more expensive than petrol as it used to be the other way around.
Which made sense as I assume it goes through less refining.

Because...... them there big petrol companies.... have cottoned on to the fact, that more people are buying diesel cars because they get higher mileage from the juice they put in the tank... ipso facto... more people using diesel... put up the price... more profit per galleon.  Roll eyes  can`t call it piracy... but it is along the same sort of lines, I suppose... and it `s legal too...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Well, it's a very subtle difference between profiteering and privateering.
Diesel is less costly to refine but, I believe, there is comparatively more capacity for refining petrol than diesel (due to historic demand) so diesel prices are kept high by more rapidly increasing demand.
I also think the oil companies and the government are to blame anyway.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
WTF
Grafter

Quote from: billnotben

Tax on diesel certainly used to be higher than on petrol in the UK.  When I was living in Belgium, diesel was cheaper than petrol there but more expensive here.
I guess increased demand for diesel may mean tax is not the only reason for higher diesel prices these days, though.
Re the pollution: I've been feeling it in the back of my throat when driving since Monday.  My missus - who walks to the station in the morning - reckons she hasn't noticed a thing.  Maybe it's psychosomatic because I keep hearing about the smog on the radio news Wink
shalom2010
Grafter

I've still got a slightly dry throat and sore eyes from walking in London on Tuesday & around Ingatestone yesterday, Loooks like levels will drop by tomorrow.
Mal08
Rising Star

Many other countries like Ireland ,France , Germany , Netherlands - diesel is quite a bit cheaper - like it used to be here.
http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/fuel/
Fixes: 47

It's annoying isn't it how much the government makes on fuel in the name of air pollution control.
http://www.petrolprices.com/the-price-of-fuel.html#j-1-3
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation