cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smile Please !

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Smile Please !

How many times do I need to clean my teeth ? 

Well, according to "Colgate"  there are 50 products under the search title "Colgate Toothpaste"... so it seems I could  need to have at least 5 of their different types of toothpaste to ensure a "basic" level of cleanliness/health & hygiene ! !

http://www.colgate.co.uk/en/uk/oc/products/toothpaste

One assumes that they ARE all different in their recipe/manufacture... but does anyone really check to find out? or are they all the same stuff with different boxes  ? ? ? ? 

16 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Smile Please !

I use toothpaste and then a mouthwash but do wonder if any benefits from the toothpaste are being washed away by the mouthwash.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
JayG
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I certainly have checked to find out how much difference there is between the quite astonishing number of choices available, and the answer is 'very little'!

According to my dentist most toothpastes are much of a muchness - the only ingredient that dentists really believe does what it says on the tin is 'triclosan', which does seem to help reduce bacterial gum infections.

Triclosan can be found in Colgate's 'Total' range, but not in any of the other fanciful variations. Roll eyes

Community Veteran

Strat wrote:

I use toothpaste and then a mouthwash

I used to do that but then my dentist said if you use mouthwash everyday it loses its effectiveness or oomphh to put it technically.

I was told week on week off or just the weekends.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I assume most people clean their teeth and then rinse out with water after but I wonder if there is any added benefit of not rinsing out after you have cleaned your teeth just before retiring ?

Most people clean their teeth twice a day, usually first thing in the morning and it makes sense to rinse out then unless you like toothpaste with your cornflakes.

Any thoughts about that ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

As I understand it.... all toothpastes are, really, is a "minty soap".. and the name is a bit of advertising window dressing...  originally it was, I think, a "paste" or "powder" in a small tin,... can you imagine trying to sell something called ToothSoap..  ? ? 

Used to use "pearl drops" as a whitener, when I smoked, and it worked quite well, at that time it was " a bit gritty" in texture, ( a bit like the fine end of the Valve Grinding paste used to grind in your inlet and exhaust valves)... Cheesy  However, the latest offering from them is now a Gell form and doesn`t seem to be so effective.

So, if I want a bright smile, I should use Colgate A 

If I want my gums to be cared for, I should use Colgate B

if I want my enamel reparied, I should use Colgate C

etc etc etc..

Which is what I was thinking of when I posted orginally..

Why can`t they put it "all in one".    ? ? ?  

Fixes: 123

shutter wrote:

Why can`t they put it "all in one".    ? ? ?  

Profit?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Steve
Pro

@Strat my dentist told me my toothpaste is a mouthwash so I just use toothpaste and no rinse just spit.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Many years ago my dentist told me NEVER to rinse after brushing, all you are doing is washing the paste off.
As to TP I have switched to Lidl's sensitive stuff. Works great and is something like 40p a tube.
I have also recently switched to a sonic (40K vibs) toothbrush, (from China £12 with 12 spare heads) what a difference from my previous Oral B 1000. My teeth are now whiter without any other changes.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Community Veteran

Probably one of the reasons my dentist told me not to use it continuously. Week on week off.

Steve
Pro

gleneagles wrote:

Most people clean their teeth twice a day, usually first thing in the morning and it makes sense to rinse out then unless you like toothpaste with your cornflakes.

Any thoughts about that ?

I do, brush after breakfast before heading out the door.

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Saw a dentist from one of the dental schools on one of the many medical programmes on TV these days.  Her definitive advice was to brush morning and night (no more), spit but don't rinse (this is to allow the fluoride to work, assuming you are using a fluoride toothpaste), don't brush for about 45 minutes after eating or drinking anything (except water of course) since food/drink softens the enamel temporarily.

I also read some years ago that fluoride is only useful while the teeth are growing, but haven't heard this claim since.

No doubt the advice will change in time like the "no chocolate, dark chocolate only, all chocolate" advice we are given, or more recently "coffee prevents cancer" (back in the 1970s coffee drunk with cheese was claimed to cause cancer).

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I can with 100% reliably say that cancer cause cancer.
They really can't make up their minds (or who ever is paying them that week) what is good/bad.
@gleneagles you are meant to brush AFTER eating not before, so no toothpasted cornflakes.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@HairyMcbiker

Not sure if I agree about brushing after eating for reasons given in jonpe's previous post.

There is so much alternative advice given on a range of topics these days it's hard to know which one is correct.

Smiley