cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smelly water. Slightly concerned.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Smelly water. Slightly concerned.

Evening all! (or morning / afternoon whenever you read this)

Our kitchen tap is troubling me. Randomly when you turn on the cold water it will come out smelling similar to drain water. Most times its fine. There seems to be no particular cause of it that i can think of and i'm certain its not the actual drain for the sink because we'd smell it even without the tap running.

We have a water softener attached to the pipe (boo, hiss). Could this be causing it?

The water always comes out crystal clear.. but when it starts to smell i end up running the tap for around 30 seconds to rid the water of the smell. We don't seem to be suffering any health problems for it (that i know of) but it is concerning me a bit with the little fella in the house.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
12 REPLIES
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Smelly water. Slightly concerned.

Smells to me like you might have bacteria in your water softener - have you tried changing the solution? I'm pretty sure you can buy a test kit just to make sure.

Something like this maybe? 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Simplex-Health-Total-Hardness-Strips/dp/B00XCUVLLM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1...

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

The cold water tap into the house should not run through a water softener. When I had a new kitchen fitted I also had a new water softener fitted and this was the advice from the plumber.

I check the softness of the water elsewhere around the house with a small kit that can be purchased from Maplin for about £3.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

The main cold water tap in our kitchen does come through the softener - but we have a third tap which doesn't. That sort of arrangement is not at all uncommon.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

It's okay, it's just the government putting some mind control drugs into your water supply, nowt to worry about... Grin

Community Veteran

@7up

I assume the water pipes running from the road into your house are not lead pipes ?

Does the water taste different ? you will recall we had a number of posts a while ago when the smell/taste of chlorene in the water supply was discussed.

Minivanman
Hero

@gleneagles

Well @7up said it smelt like a drain water, so would lead have that effect?

Anyways, found this earlier

Some of the culprits behind bad tasting, smelly drinking water could be:

• Hydrogen Sulfide, which can produce a rotten egg smell;
  • Dissolved solids which cause a musty, earthy wood smell;
  • Chlorine used in the municipal water treatment process;
  • Metallic tastes and smells from mercury, lead, arsenic and iron seeping into the water supply.
All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

@Minivanman

you have certainly done your research there !

Wink

At the risk of being accused of changing the subject, if there is a lead pipe supplying water to the house it may be more of a risk than the, 'smelly water'

Minivanman
Hero

Not to much I would have thought unless the water has been laying dormant in the pipe. Free flowing and regular use whilst not recommended, should not be a real problem. I've grown up with lead piping and I'm err...... where was I? Smiley 

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

@7up  Are you sure it's water and not 7up?

Minivanman
Hero

No response from @7up so I guess problem now solved. Cool smiley

Community Veteran

@7up

That exact problem happened to us. It turned out actually to be the initial slug of water travelling down the drain that wafted a nasty pong out of the drain. Nothing to do with the water in the tap. It always cleared when more water was run off and the drain got sluiced through.

"There seems to be no particular cause of it that i can think of and i'm certain its not the actual drain for the sink because we'd smell it even without the tap running."

I think it's more like when the crud in the drain gets disturbed that you start to smell it. It tends to go dormant without an initial wash-through so you might not detect it. If there's an overflow in the sink it's probably worth giving that a backflush.

Minivanman
Hero

Same here, we often fill the sink (very carefully I might add) above that overflow in order to rinse it out and of course the increased gravity pressure gives that under the sink trap a good flush out as well. As for slugs and snails we often get those stuck in the watering can spout. How the heck they get in there in the first place is beyond me!