Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smartphones... other uses

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Having relegated a couple of my Android Smartphones in favour of Talk & Text phones with far longer battery life, I was looking round for other non phone uses for the Smartphones, I came up with three initially.
1) SatNav
Not as good as a dedicated SatNav, a bit slower response time, and a couple of apps had hard to read map colours.
Scout & Here I didn’t like.
Navmii and Navigation were ok
2) DashCam
Very good actually, using either AutoGuard or just Video record using the built in Android Camera App.
3) Babymonitor
Babycam is excellent, two Smartphones are plug & play connected via home wi-fi.
Useful for when the younger members of the family visit.
But also providing a very mobile camera for general viewing around the property.
Such as Bird Bath or Squirrel watching !

And of course there are the other apps, for Weather, Burst & HDR Photography, Alarms etc….
Plus Papers, World Radio, News, Live TV

Any other uses you can think of ?
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Smartphones... other uses

Dictaphone/voice recorder springs to mind. Using voice to text app allows dictating letters/notes/memos etc. You can then email these to yourself and edit/print at your leisure.
Which brings me to emails. 24/7 access to emails.
Lots more, especially if you travel a lot, to help with bookings, finding specific points of interest such as banks etc.
Mobile encyclopedia. Definitely a boon.
I'd be lost without my smart phone now
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Great source of income, slap it on ebay and sell it, job done... Grin
nadger
Rising Star

Remote control for my Rokus using Android app  Smiley
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

One useful option is to use the "Walking On Foot" option which appears on some of the Satnav apps, for which foreign countries can be downloaded.
With an earpiece, and points of interest loaded.
Yet to try this out...
And working off line, GPS, no SIM card required.
Fixes: 125

It's useful for setting YouView recordings as it's much easier than using the remote.
Oh, I can also make calls from mine. Has anyone else noticed this facility  Cheesy Crazy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

What's a smart phone? (x - > coat)
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I use my old one as a VOIP client. Don't need any other hardware apart from the router, so removed my old HH2/bt handset.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

I was dubious about the usefulness of tablets, until SWMBO bought one, mainly for downloading e-books.
Having had the chance to explore the Google Nexus 7 (Android), I bought one myself, and now wouldn't be without it.
There's the internet, of course, and the integral calculator, alarm clock and camera. Favourite apps that require an internet connection include an aircraft tracker, TED talks, weather, newspaper, LOLcats, Skype, Spotify, ISS tracker.
Offline, there's JotterPad, Sketchbook, London tube map, spirit level, CoPilot satnav, crossword solver, guitar tuner, thesaurus, OS maps with GPS, moon phase, Stellarium, Wifi Analyzer, anagram solver, Morse code reader, fuel/mileage log, frequency generator, sunrise/sunset, Shazam/SoundHound, Connect 4, Sudoku, unit converter.
Yes - I'm a convert!  Wink
Phone calls? An old Samsung dumbphone.
Not young enough to know everything