cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart parking?

Fixes: 125

Smart parking?

Smart car parked 90o to pavement.
Vanessa Price, 44, was issued a £50 fine after she parked at a right-angle in Stroud, Gloucestershire, while she went shopping last October.
Although the ability of smart cars to fit into small spaces at 90 degree angles to the pavement is well known, the traffic warden issued a fine after insisting the front of the car overlapped the white bay markings, making it illegal.

A parking penalty tribunal ruled in her favour after the adjudicator said she had not breached any traffic regulation order by leaving her car as she did.
The adjudicator ruled that while drivers must park within marked bays in pay-and-display and permit-controlled areas, this was not enforceable in limited waiting spaces on the highway.

I think parking at 90o is daft and maybe dangerous as, depending on width of the road, you'd have to drive straight out onto the other side before being able to turn. Also, if a vehicle had to swerve to avoid an accident it would most certainly take a hit.
It looks bloody stupid, too.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

31 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Smart parking?

the tribunal ruling was plain dumb, the road traffic act says you must not deliberately park in a way that will cause obstruction to other road users, her front end poking out into the traffic stream certainly would obstruct any cyclist !
yet another totally stupid ruling by yet another head in the clouds moronic judge
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Looking at the photo in the article I hope the owner of the car beside the Smart was also fined because that is also clearly parked well over the white line!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I guess the traffic warden's never been to italy then, where parking is vaguely aiming a car near to where you want to be and just letting it roll to a stop and just leaving it at any old angle in any position the driver likes... Grin
Community Veteran

Reminded me of a recent ticket I got. I briefly parked a little more than a foot from the kerb, a rare occurrence for me, and was given a ticket for it.
Even though, obviously, larger vehicles stuck out further into the road than my poorly parked car did.
I pleaded to General Ignorance who luckily let me off.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: nanotm
the tribunal ruling was plain dumb, the road traffic act says you must not deliberately park in a way that will cause obstruction to other road users, her front end poking out into the traffic stream certainly would obstruct any cyclist !

Any cyclist cycling that close to the sides of the car in front and behind would have taken off their wing mirrors so i don't really see your last point as valid.
That said, the way she has parked is pathetic. There is no space either side of her car for the other cars to be able to manouvere out of their spaces.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nanotm
Pro

why its sticking out more than a foot past them, look at the lines on the floor, the cars on either side are a couple of inches inside the line so the mirrors would be at most an inch over it if not inside it, the smart car on the other hand clearly has its 13 inch wheel centre forward of the line and it pokes out past the line by at least 15 inches taking into account the centre of the bumper is proud of the edges ....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Have you guys nothing better to do than start WW3 over somebody parking a different way? Pathetic!  Wink
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: nanotm
why its sticking out more than a foot past them, look at the lines on the floor, the cars on either side are a couple of inches inside the line

a couple of inches inside the line? Huh

You need to go to SpecSavers!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

WW3 - no just smarting over a Smart Car driver who thinks it's smart to block in other car drivers.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Three points I see from the photograph...
It is "sticking out" into the traffic..... It is "partly outside the delineated parking area"...( this is usually and offence stated on car park notice boards )...  also, parking like that she has restricted the manouverability of the two cars parked, and so may well be "causing an obstruction" to them, if they cannot move to exit their parking space. ( t

“I have parked like this in Stroud, London and Bristol and never had any trouble before,” she said.

Just because she "got away with it" before does not make it "legal" or "alright"...
Speeding/texting/phone using motorists could use the same reasoning..... would she agree to them not being fined ?  ( especially if one of them happened to hit her car parked the way it is )  ? ?
Community Veteran

The photo is a setup! Just check my link above. The car on the right is a mile away and there isn't one on the left.
Geoff,
York.
Fixes: 125

Did you check out some of the other pictures from your link?
The car on the right is close. And who's to say when the one on the left parked or drove off?
Either way I still think it's daft parking like that.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

nadger
Rising Star

Around 1960 I often parked my BMW Isetta at right angle to kerb