Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart meters

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Re: Smart meters

@Alex
Alex wrote:had they had that problem and asked for my consent, I would have given a Simon Cowell-esh "No". Grin

but ... if three other memebers of your family said YES... they would be back next week  ! !! ...

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

With Thames Water and the rate they're going:

Next week? More like a picosecond.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but I guess it depends on the account holders choice.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

Alex wrote: I would have given a Simon Cowell-esh "No". Grin

Don't forget to say, "Can I be honest with you?" or "I'm going to be honest with you." before the "No". Smiley

My worry about water meters is that if there is a leak between the meter and your property, you could end up paying a lot of money for wasted water.  The meter-under-the-sink idea sounds better, although more inconvenient for them to read.

Highlighted
Pro

Our meter under the sink has a repeater on the outside wall.  They can read it any time without bothering us.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

I think the way it works with meters in your home is anything before it is the utility company's responsibility, anything after is yours.

Reason I suspect that was moving out at my 2nd year of university:

Power suddenly goes off in the evening moving stuff out.
Oh must be a power cut we think.
Go outside and look around the neighbours houses.
Lights on - so it is not one, something just in our property,
Ring electric board, told it could be chargeable.
Come over, fixed it in about half an hour.
When I asked what the problem was, it is the big fuses before the meter. One of the holders had disintegrated.

Oh well fixed quite quickly at no cost, so you can't grumble.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

@Jonpe wrote:

Alex wrote: I would have given a Simon Cowell-esh "No". Grin

Don't forget to say, "Can I be honest with you?" or "I'm going to be honest with you." before the "No". Smiley

My worry about water meters is that if there is a leak between the meter and your property, you could end up paying a lot of money for wasted water.  The meter-under-the-sink idea sounds better, although more inconvenient for them to read.

@Jonpe We had that very problem two three years back. I spotted the half years bill was way above the norm. The company found there was a leak somewhere under the garage or utility room. Once repaired they recalculated our usage and we were given a refund.

The repair was interesting. Our insurer paid for a new pipe from the roadway to the garage, whence as we did not wish to have more digging within the house, we passed the piping over head, boxed in and insulated well, through the garage, and tapped into the pipework in the downstairs cloak.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.