cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart meters

Highlighted
Rising Star

Re: Smart meters

Not only is there a possibility of the prices being raised to match demand, that is the whole raison d'etre of the smartmeter.  The 'benefit' used to sell them (being more aware of your usage) is a very small one - around 2% saving in the first year and reducing after that.

The real benefit to the power companies is twofold. Firstly to be able to control circuits, so load can be shed in times when generation can't match demand. Secondly, the ability to introduce Time of use tariffs (TofU). This will be pricing by the (for example) half hour; when demand is high the cost per unit will increase by two or three to suppress demand.  

This is the sort of tariff that British Gas have already introduced ('free weekend energy' - though the small print tells you about the expensive peak time energy).

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

Yes it always makes me wonder the ulterior motive behind it.

Besides, I don’t see the seas on the planet emptying anytime soon if I left my tap on.

The proportion of people who pay more must outweigh the people who pay less.

Just hate it when companies lie and pretend it is to help the planet as opposed to their revenue.

Sorry rant over.
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

I've had a few 'invitations' to 'upgrade'; do they really think the tired old phrase "We are in your area" is believed by anyone?

My supplier tells me that they are required by law to inspect my gas meter every two years, which effectively means reading it.  They can read my electricity meter at the same time, and go by my own readings in-between visits.

Once most people have smart meters there will either be a discount for them, or a higher price for those who haven't 'upgraded'.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 24

@Jonpe wrote:

Once most people have smart meters there will either be a discount for them, or a higher price for those who haven't 'upgraded'.

I think you're right, in the same way that many bill payments are more if not direct debit.

It'll have to be a hefty premium before I'll accept a smart meter though.

There will be good days, and there will be bad days
And this is one of them

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

All new house builds are now fitted with a water meter does anyone know the situation regarding gas & electricity are they also fitted with smart meters ?

If not I suspect it will not be long before the energy companies convince the government that all new builds are fitted with smart meters once the new meters are available and can be used by any energy company.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Mav wrote:

Initially I thought I smart meter would be a good idea but now I don't want one, either. I am more concerned that there could be a possibility of the utility companies upping the price willy-nilly to suit demand. I read about it somewhere.

@DaveyH wrote:
And water meters have more than halved our water bills...

Unfortunately a water meter nearly tripled our monthly bill initially. Now is it just over double. We were on a very low rateable value for our property.

I thought that if you had a water meter fitted you had up to a year to revert back to paying by the old system, the meter would remain in place but not used for billing but any new owner would have to use it

Highlighted
Rising Star

Water meters are great for single people - it was quite a shock for friend of mine that has a large family!

His water bill went up fivefold.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

water bills are based on the rateable value of the property so higher value of the property combined with only one or two people living there a water meter will save you a lot of money.

Low rateable value plus a number of people living there such as a couple of adults and children a water meter will cost you a lot more than a non metered property.

Highlighted
Rising Star

Jonpe wrote:

My supplier tells me that they are required by law to inspect my gas meter every two years, which effectively means reading it.  They can read my electricity meter at the same time, and go by my own readings in-between visits.

I believe that to be true but I don't think that my meters have been read for more than two years. My bills always show customer reading. I wonder if it is because I change supplier almost every year.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Quote fixed.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

With Thames Water, all I know is they are fitting them against your will around my area.

Then send really patronising letters, for example "Welcome to your 2 year transition period". Essentially you can opt to be metered straight away by your meter or have a standing charge for the next 2 years, and after then they'll force you to be metered anyway.

Oh yes and then they send you letters saying what you would have paid if metered.

My annual water bill was near enough £400 Shocked

It wouldn't surprise me if they put the standing charge up, to deliberately say "Oh but if you were metered you would pay less".

As I live on my own I should change really, but I don't agree with it so I won't.

There has to be an ulterior motive - I mean they must make more money in the long run, than they spend installing them. You think, the cost of the meters themselves from whoever makes them and the engineers time they have to pay, cost of petrol/diesel of the vans, etc.

Highlighted
Fixes: 417

@gleneagles wrote:

I thought that if you had a water meter fitted you had up to a year to revert back to paying by the old system, the meter would remain in place but not used for billing but any new owner would have to use it

I'm pretty sure that we were given 3 months in which to change back. I was in hospital for most of that and never got round to doing anythingCry

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Sorry to hear that @Mav.

My understanding is, you can stay on the old system for two years.
Let us know if you want to change.

If you don't - tough we're going to change you anyway.

Highlighted
Fixes: 417

@Alex I will see if I can find the relevant paperwork.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Highlighted
Community Veteran

We are with United Utilities (North West)

They give you 2 years to change your mind but I stated 1 year as I could not be sure all water companies were the same.

One chap near us has no pavement outside his property, which is in a cul de sac so his drive goes direct on to the road, he refused to let them put a meter in his drive where the main stopcock is situated but checking under his sink where the main inlet pipe is there was no room for a meter so as he had requested a meter and could not have one they estimated what he would use and it has saved him a fair bit of money.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Interested in how it would work legally.

So if they can't install it outside your property, and wanted to install it within it - you could say No and there is nothing they can do. I guess technically your property is when your pavement meets your drive.

In my case they managed to install it on the pavement so I had no choice. There is a house near me that has one on their drive so presumably they couldn't use the pavement.

Bit of a shame really I wasn't in that situation - had they had that problem and asked for my consent, I would have given a Simon Cowell-esh "No". Grin