Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart meters

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Re: Smart meters

I am no legal expert, but the way I understand it is:

If it is your property and you refuse entry, they can't come in. The only way they can do it is to get a court warrant and only then they can enter your property without your consent.

Not sure about renting, and how it would work if your landlord/landlady (no not being PC, but I was renting a property and had a landlady once). If they had their consent but not yours.

Same with TV Licensing, they just bully you until you cave in and assume in these day and ages that everyone has a TV now. So if they knock on your door and refuse, unless they have a warrant they can't come in.

Haven't seen any stores in the news of them breaking into Noel Edmons premises yet.

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro

I rent my council house and the small print on these letters state they need my consent on something or another. They wont be getting any consent from me and I don't think the council has a say in the matter as by law these so called ' smart meters ' are not mandatory, at least not yet.

If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Yep - they'll need your consent to enter your property I think.
By the sounds of it I assume that will be a No then Smiley

Highlighted
Champion
Fixes: 12

@Alex wrote:

Same with TV Licensing, they just bully you until you cave in and assume in these day and ages that everyone has a TV now. So if they knock on your door and refuse, unless they have a warrant they can't come in.

I'm sure we've been here before, but a TV licence is required for the act of watching/recording live TV and using iPlayer. Its not about the equipment...

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro

Yes, i was just reading the SSE is losing a lot of customers which is why they are ramping up their rollout of smart meters.  Ignoring my request surely would be going about things the right way to lose another?. I just found the other letter sent out to me after I emailed them twice asking them not to smart meter me. First letter sent 17th August and this letter sent 16th October. So I expect another one on 18th December. 

Highlighted
Rising Star

A lot of the electricity suppliers are now offering the "best deals" only to people that are prepared to or already have a "smart meter".

"An Ofgem spokesman says that there is nothing stopping suppliers offering different or cheaper prices for those who get a smart meter"

I certainly do not want one at present.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Thanks for your responses, clearly everyone who has replied is of the same mind regarding smart meters.

Will follow your advice and refuse one.

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro

@RJM wrote:

A lot of the electricity suppliers are now offering the "best deals" only to people that are prepared to or already have a "smart meter".

Yeah it's hilarious, i have PAYG meters so never got any offers. The worse thing they could do is take me off their evergreen tariff.

Highlighted
Champion

Bunch of luddites Smiley

I'll say as a Pre-payment meter user, smart meters have been a blessing

I lost count of the number of times I had to have leccy keys replaced because they'd become increasingly unreadable at paypoint terminals or you'd go to top-up and the terminal is [-Censored-]ed or worse the paypoint network down.

Now, I can top-up from my phone or computer etc, either on demand, or schedule them at a frequency of my choosing or when the credit balance drops below an amount of my choosing etc, etc.

And water meters have more than halved our water bills...
Highlighted
Seasoned Pro

That is the only benefit I can see for myself @DaveyH but to be honest in six years I have not needed a replacement gas card or electric key. Any special requirements for topping up online? can you top up using Linux as an example?

Edit scratch that I assume the answer will be yes, just noticed you can top up by phone.

Highlighted
Champion

I can only speak for Ovo, but it's just a webpage so you can top up from anything with a browser.

They do have an Android app and presumably an iOS one too but since it's now just a web wrapper instead of the native app I don't bother anymore and just use the website.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Also an Ovo energy PAYG+ customer here, paying through an app or online is far more convenient than having to find a paypoint (though I do have an "Energy payment card" for that option), just add a debit or credit card and you're set... Smiley

Still don't trust the meters' security though, and they are under the influence of the government if they feel like turning off your power to make sure their stately homes have the lights on...

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Funny how this topic came up and today I get a British Gas leaflet through the door and saying switch to them and get a smart meter.

So they’re using it as a reason to switch to them even though my current gas supplier gives me that option.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

@Alex wrote:
 I get a British Gas leaflet through the door and saying switch to them and get a smart meter.

Reckon, there`s a little bit of psycology going on with that line of selling.... i.e... if you want to be seen as a "smart" person, in your circle of friends...then switch to BG and get a smart meter..... wonder if they will give out a Smart Car to those people too  !..

Highlighted
Fixes: 413

Initially I thought I smart meter would be a good idea but now I don't want one, either. I am more concerned that there could be a possibility of the utility companies upping the price willy-nilly to suit demand. I read about it somewhere.

DaveyH wrote:
And water meters have more than halved our water bills...

Unfortunately a water meter nearly tripled our monthly bill initially. Now is it just over double. We were on a very low rateable value for our property.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still