cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart meters

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Smart meters

Currently in the process of changing energy suppliers so it will not be long before I am contacted regarding a smart meter.

We do not have one and I am in no hurry to get one but understand that next year a new version of smart meters will be available which allow customers to change suppliers but the meter will still work so 2 questions.

1. Can you refuse to have a smart meter fitted despite the government saying this must be done by 2021.

2. Will the new version be any better than the old version of meter in terms of security and accuracy.

50 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Smart meters

@gleneagles googling the question  " do I have to have a smart meter" gives this response

https://www.google.co.uk/search?source=hp&q=do+i+have+to+have+a+smart+meter&oq=do+I+have+to+have+&gs...

The government has told energy companies to install the majority of smart meters for homes and small businesses within the next four years. ... You are not legally obliged have a smart meter installed, and you have the right to refuse one. Prepayment energy customers are also eligible for a smart meter.21 Sep 2017
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

smart meters are inherently less secure than none smart meters..... and given the problem just exposed with the wpa vulnerability I certainly wouldn't be wanting one no matter who was making them .....

as to accuracy that's affected by security so again I wouldn't want one, certainly if its untampered it should run and be accurate but given that someone can remotely access it without your knowledge its not a viable option right now, and the government hasn't mandated that all homes will be on smart meters, they have mandated that all suppliers will offer free upgrades by 2021 to a secure version of the proposed device (they actually acknowledged that the proposed devices were vulnerable and not fit for purpose for mass distribution) 

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Actually, I cannot see the point of them..... My energy use would be just the same, either fitted or not fitted...  I certainly would not be sitting watching it, all day... but I would be still watching tv... and making tea,... etc etc... so the end result would not be of any significant difference... whatever it reads your consumption at... you will have to pay.. and if YOU are smart enough to switch off the lights, and only boil enough water for one cup of tea...  etc etc... having a smart meter will not make on amp of difference ! . I will still read the meter, and send in the results when they email me, every month... so my bill will be accurate to what I have used... no smart meter needed here..

nanotm
Pro

shutter wrote:

having a smart meter will not make on amp of difference ! .

not exactly true, smart meters will actually draw more current to operate and thus your bills will be pennies a month more expensive ..... 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

My supplier (Iresa) is exempt from the push to install one, being a small supplier. Apparently it is only the big 6 that are pushing them.

Must admit I was fed up with the ads (for smart meters) on Magic radio when I was on holiday. They WILL NOT SAVE YOU MONEY THEY ARE COSTING ALL OF US MORE MONEY. WE are paying for them NOT THE SUPPLIERS.
Community Veteran

nanotm wrote:

shutter wrote:

having a smart meter will not make on amp of difference ! .

not exactly true, smart meters will actually draw more current to operate and thus your bills will be pennies a month more expensive ..... 

@nanotm  Thanks for that.... so another reason why not to have one fitted.... it will save more money by not having one.... BRILL  !

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I don't know where I read this now, but I am sure they can disconnect your supply remotely if you don't pay?

I am not sure if that is true or not.

I personally can't see the point in them.

So you get nagged about how much energy you use and to help save the planet and your wallet. I wonder what they'll say "Don't use the heating when it is cold - freeze"
"Wash less"
"Don't use the oven - get a takeaway instead" (though that just means a third party is destroying the planet on your behalf).

Also "Don't leave the lights on".

Don't know about anyone else, but I know of people who like to keep them on if they are away from the property, as it makes them feel safer against burglars as it makes it appear someone is in when they are not.

Oh and you don't need to give meter readings - but I am sure all of us on the forum have sufficient IT knowledge to submit a number on a web form Tongue

nanotm
Pro

@Alex

its worse than that the Smart meter is supposed to aid the national grid by selectively powering on or off your smart devices so for instance that snazzy new smurt cooker and that internet connected fridge/freezer, smart tv etc etc can all be remotely controlled when your not even home to ensure the grid doesn't get overloaded or under utilised (especially during the night) 

so its not only that they can remotely disable your electrical connection, they can remotely power up /down your equipment and artificially change how much electric you use as well ....

and that's going to be standard in the future with the whole "connected home stuff" you well be granted more "free things" all of which erode your ability to apply self determination, and they will spy on you too boot....

I don't want a smart home and even if I did want one I wouldn't want one that could be remotely accessed ..... that's just dumb...

Community Veteran

@nanotm

I did not know that, they are even smarter than I thought they were.

I don't see any benefits for the customers - just the companies. Oh except for not having to submit your meter readings on-line, but it is not like that is much of a hardship.

JayG
Aspiring Pro

I'm suspicious about both the reliability and security of these devices, especially given the recent news about the vulnerability of Wi-Fi connected devices (with this technology we have 'Zigbee' and a form of WAN using the mobile network - how confident can anyone be that it can be trusted 100%, both now and in the future?)

@Alex: Don't see any benefit to me of having them either, so am working on the hypothesis that if my energy company wants me to have them, it's probably because it's more in their interests than mine.

(I'm still paying for others to have them installed via my energy bills though! Roll eyes)

Community Veteran

Yes I agree.

Ok there are certain things you can do, such as home insulation etc. to save energy, but you still need to use it at some stage and not let it change your lifestyle too much.

We've all got to eat, wash, have heating on during winter, water the garden (unless you live in a flat) Tongue, etc.

Steve
Pro

I think SSE is out to just wind me up. I emailed them a couple months ago saying not to smart meter me. Within days I had a letter through the post saying if I want one then I should get in touch. I thought it was as simple as their computers just not caught up with my request. Today I got another letter stating the benefits and that they are in my area installing them and the next step is for me to get in touch. Not really impressed as my email was not acknowledged either and I sent it twice.

They can get lost I don't want one so I wont be getting in touch with them and if they come knocking then they will get a piece of my mind. 

Community Veteran

Well EDF (as I'm London) have written to me, saying contact them if I wan't one - but haven't nagged me that much.
Though that may change in time.

Thames Water have been forcibly installing water meters around my area against your will. They the information they send you is so patronising it is untrue.

The bit that made me laugh for reasoning it, was when they said "Water is a scare resource".

I don't think you need to have a Geography degree to realise that is untrue and actually quite a lot of it exists on the planet Crazy2 

Steve
Pro

They need to enter my property for testing and they need to ask me a couple questions before the install can go ahead. Goodluck with that SSE. I am tempted to get in touch to ask why my email I sent twice has been ignored but I really cant be bothered.