Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart meters ...

St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

Smart meters ...

Anyone had a smart meter installed ? Do you think there good ?

Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
33 REPLIES
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Smart meters ...

A Smart Meter sends meter readings back to your supplier. If your supplier doesn't support Smart Meters that's not going to happen. It would be unsafe and forbidden for you to replace a suppliers meter yourself.

I suspect what you mean is an ELECTRICITY Usage Monitor. This does not provide meter readings. This has a device that you clip round the cables of your existing meter which transmits usage to another device inside your home. These devices can show approximately how much electricity is being used currently and for past period.

It seems to be generally the case that the novelty soon wears off and I found that I was spending more on batteries  (my monitor came free from British Gas) than any potential saving by reducing my electricity consumption.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

But surely @alanf, a supplier that does not support smart metering wouldn't be providing them in the first place. And if the smart meter were installed by a previous provider then surely it's in your interest to remain or move to one that does support them!

P.S. I also think that this is what @St3 is referring to and not a BlueTooth Usage Meter.

alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

The initial post has been edited. Initially it was referring to a "Smart Meter" available to buy off Amazon.

St3
All Star

sorry i got mixed up at first and edited my post, but alans must have been replying when i did so. I was talking about the BT usage meter at first, but now i would like to know if anyone has had a smart meter fitted and do they feel its been worth it. Tongue

Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Community Veteran

@St3 - BT Usage Meter, what's that?

Browni
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 35

I have one that was supplied free by British Gas and it was quite interesting for the first month or so seeing the actual usage of various items throughout the house and the running costs, it also phoned home my meter readings so estimated bills were a thing of the past.

I have now moved to EDF and it still works albeit with reduced functionality; costs are no longer displayed and it doesn't phone home. One benefit I have is I can get the meter readings from the Smart meter itself, something a self installed one would be unable to do.

Would I buy one? No.

I must have been really bad in a previous life. This is my 3rd ISP in a row that uses lithium.
Fixes: 47

Mook wrote:

But surely @alanf, a supplier that does not support smart metering wouldn't be providing them in the first place. 

You would think so wouldn't you.

I had gas and electricity smart meters installed by Npower last year.

I stopped sending in readings online.

When a statement was due they emailed me for current readings. I ignored it so they sent a meter reader round.

He said Npower didn't have systems in place yet to do reliable remote readings Huh

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Makes you wonder if this is progress for the sake of it.

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

You would need to wire the meter in series with the proper meter. So you would need an electrician - assuming this is even legal.

Community Veteran

Germany has refused to have them and they are usually early adopters for new technology. What do they know that we don't?
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

Here http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2013-08-01/germany-rejects-eu-smart-meter-recommendations-on-...
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Isn't EON a German company?

Community Veteran

The report I referred to says that smart meters aren't to consumers benefit but I guess they may benefit the companies
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
markhawkin
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

EON installed one. It has a slightly pointless display which we have never made any sense of. The benefit is that the meter reader doesn't have to call.

It made EON happy !

I am the satisfied customer....