cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Motorways

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

Smart Motorways

38 people have been killed on smart motorways and no doubt a number of others have been injured, This figure is over a 5 year period but how much is a human life worth ?

After the first few deaths the system should have been stopped until the necessary safety cameras were in place that could prevent this from happening.

29 REPLIES 29
Community Veteran
Fixes: 30

Re: Smart Motorways

Safety cameras DO NOT prevent accidents..... all they do is record the scene....   reverting to the proper use of the hard shoulder, would reduce the accidents... not necessarily stop them altogether... as there are still some deaths caused by stopping in the "wrong place" at the "wrong time"... on the hard shoulder...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I just read about this earlier and I'm amazed anyone would think it was safe to remove the hard shoulder and lives wouldn't be needlessly lost as a consequence.

Heads should roll literally over this but apart from a little hand wringing, probably in front of the camera, I expect little or no action will be taken against any individuals responsible for this crackpot decision.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Other than for road works, instructed by electronic signals on overhead gantries or not the last thing I would ever do on a motorway (in case it was the last thing I ever did) would be to move over onto the hard shoulder.

Over capacity replaced by over optimism - I don't think so. 

TTman
All Star

I see Grant Shaps says he want ti fix smart motorways because they are to confusing for motorists. Whats confusing about if you breakdown you will be stopped in a live lane hoping nobody runs into you!!!! Angry

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Must be said, I don't like motorways and those with the hard shoulder now being used as a live lane of traffic scare the hell out of me. Okay cars are generally more reliable these days but they STILL break down and suffer mechanical difficulties - whether the government likes it or not, legislation will never stop metal fatigue and things going bang.

The problem is that whenever it's someone at the top they become protected and anything they've screwed up is brushed under the carpet. This is wrong. People have died, someone must be held accountable for this.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

I agree that removing the hard shoulder on motorways is a folly.

About a year ago I had the experience of driving in the outside lane of four live lanes (no hard shoulder), all lanes were speed restricted to 60mph by the gantry signs and all were full of traffic doing about 55 - 60mph.

Suddenly I got an audible signal and a message flashed up indicating "Loss of pressure front right tyre" and instantly I thought "What the **** do I do now?".

The steering felt OK for the moment so I started indicating and moving to the left whenever there was a big enough gap to squeeze into thinking I'd rather break down in lane one than any of the others.  The tyre continued to behave and luckily I'd just passed a 'Services 2 miles' sign and was able to get off the motorway there.

When I checked the tyre the pressure was actually adequate so I guess it had just deflated very slightly (perhaps due to temperature change) or a sensor was playing silly beggars.  So no disaster for me but enough to make me count my lucky stars.

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

Smart motorways / stupid planners... this 'system' was devised purely to save money on

building wider motorways that still retained a 'safety lane'.  Government will gaily spend

an unknown amount but as we know well north of £100Billion on a white elephant railway,

but will not spend but a fraction of money contributed by motorists on better roads.

It said in original plns for the smart motorways that refuge laybyes shoul be no more than 1/3

mile apart,  but as we know even that was skimped on and they are over a mile apart...

When you see the amount of 'near misses' on smart motorways it is frightening,  the death

toll could easily be much, much higher than it is.

Panorama on BBC tonight ...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000dtqv

TeeGee
Pro

@RobPN 

Sensors on modern cars are a nightmare. Only last week a sensor failed (the one that tells you the wheels are going round!) on my wife's car and put the car into no power but keep going mode.  Fortunately we made it a few miles to the services and were only 30 miles from home so we limped back and changed cars for one twice its age and reasonably sensor free.

My confidence is now at a low point for both Smart motorways and German engineering quality.

P S the tyre pressure warning light on BMWs is either Off or Red with apparently nothing inbetween.  With a slow leak on runflats it can trigger at 25 psi which is not a great danger and the engine does keep going too!

Fixes: 387

@RobPN 

I've said it many times within this forum that all these gadgets and sensors are creating drivers unable to think for themselves. If something feels/sounds different/wrong then pull over at the first convenient time and check things out. For some people a warning light flashing means stop at all costs!

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Mav 

Point taken. I'm at a loss to know why we need so many sensors on cars these days. I still love 'em though. Would I trust them though that's the point and I have to say probably not besides which they can state the blindingly obvious such the door being open or your seat belt not being used. 

Beep beep beep "you are now reversing" 

Really? 😂

Fixes: 815

Seems the highways agency could face corporatee manslaughter charges over it https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/01/27/smart-motorways-scandal-highways-agency-facing-police-pr...

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Highlighted
Mook
Rising Star

@Minivanman wrote:

Beep beep beep "you are now reversing" 

Really? 😂

This, certainly on commercial vehicles, is for the benefit of others around you so they know you're reversing and don't end up inspecting the underside of your vehicle, so I see no reason why not to have them on a car. With a lot of people walking around with their attention on their phones it may well save their life.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Indeed, but as well as making light of it I was referring to driver information rather than pedestrians on their phones. Apparently there is now an app that as you have your head down looking at your phone it shows you what is in front of you.! 

Neat eh. 😋

Funny thing though I was actually watching a YouTube video earlier on daft pedestrians. Spooky or what? 

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

@Minivanman wrote:

Apparently there is now an app that as you have your head down looking at your phone it shows you what is in front of you.  

Neat eh. 😋

Having nearly run over two girls ( on seperate occasions ) who just stepped into the road without looking because they were looking at their phones i would say have an app on the phone that it won't work while you are moving so that people have to be stationary while using their phones..... much safer