cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Meters..

Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Smart Meters..

What is the point of sending some guy out to read the meters if we are using a smart meters Huh
REALLY......................  Roll eyes
13 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Smart Meters..

I send in regular monthly readings from my non-smart meters but they still send a guy to read them.
I say they don't trust me, they say it's for a safety check.
I question whether a meter reader is qualified to do a safety check on gas and electricity meters.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

[Fingers crossed this doesn't go the same way as the last Smart Meter thread!]
I wonder if it's so there's a cursory inspection of the meters every now and again to make sure they're not being bypassed?
Community Veteran

We are currently in the development phase, which is not deemed reliable, hence the need for a meter-man. The whole project is due to complete in 2020.

Between now and 2015, installation trials are being undertaken to build and test business processes, and to establish what works best for consumers. The government is working with industry, consumer groups and others to prepare for the mass roll-out. This includes confirming a code of practice to ensure householder protection and setting up the data and communications infrastructure needed to read meters remotely and securely.
Almost 1.5 million smart meters have already been installed throughout the UK as part of pilot work by energy providers. 

This is a major undertaking for energy providers as the roll-out will see 50 million gas and electricity meters installed in 27 million homes by 2020.

Community Veteran

I just said i guess we will see you in six months, I'll remember NOT to pack anything around them shall I!!
There was one bonus to this though, when they guy had finished putting the meters in, he left the monitor plugged into a service socket that feeds eventually our broadband socket which had loose cables inside the junction box "how do these things work loose?", so i'm happy in all honesty just to have found that out.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

A question
Are you stating/implying that these smart meters need or use a broadband connection
Community Veteran

No i'm not implying anything of the sort, the display the guy plugged into a service socket "240v AC in our cupboard stopped working a few hours after he left, the socket is a spur from the feed that also supplies the socket all my kit is plugged into.
Community Veteran

I don't think Smart Meters were allowed to use broadband connections over fears that they could be hacked.
Community Veteran

Loose cables tend to burn/char in my experience.
This is the display we have http://www.mysmartmeter.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Mysmartmeter.com_.au-Pipit-500-manual.pdf
Community Veteran

Communication outside the home - the WAN
Some Smart Meters use the existing mobile-phone systems, where each Smart Meter contains the transmitting bit of a mobile phone, and communicates with the nearest base station when it needs to.
Others use a radio signal to send information to a collecting point, which collects the information for a few thousand or tens of thousand homes and sends it to the electricity company.  These systems do not actually use mobile phones or mobile-phone base stations, but because the communication requirements are similar, they use fairly similar frequencies (hundreds of MHz) and powers (up to perhaps 1 W) to mobile phones.
Still others use a "mesh" system, where information is sent from one Smart Meter to another, and the information is only sent to the electricity company (either from one particular Smart Meter or from a separate data aggregation point) once for every few hundred homes.  That radio signal is usually around 900 MHz, close to the frequency of many mobile phones, with a maximum power of 1 W, though as the range required from one meter to the next is lower, the power may be lower.
Other systems are also possible, using sattelites, power line communications or fibre optics.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH
I don't think Smart Meters were allowed to use broadband connections over fears that they could be hacked.

Uploading to the data centre which on my smart meter was done every night using the mobile network. The home monitor use another system.

Community Veteran

The guy that installed our meters advised the meter sends data over a selection of mobile networks"Which ever it chooses", and that the connection from the gas meter to the electric meter was WiFi. I've no idea if this information is correct or not.
Fixes: 47

A little light reading on Smart Meter tech https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/68898/smart_meters_equipme...
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

If my brain would let me absorb content without reading 10 times over i would strat, thanks though Smiley