Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Meters again sorry.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Smart Meters again sorry.

I know this subject has been covered before elsewhere, but for better of worse we had one fitted yesterday by e.on and as somebody on a double tariff for daytime/night time, I cannot for life of me (and despite reading the instruction booklet) see how and when the price changes. 

The instructions tell me an indicator will appear on the display - but where, when, and what does it look like as I cannot see it. Maybe it needs time to 'settle in' before that particular function is available?

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
14 REPLIES
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Re: Smart Meters again sorry.

Would it be the word 'day' above the kWh? Does that change to 'night' at a certain time later in the evening?

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Well keep an eye on the readings and what Eon think they are. Some people were burned by smart meters NOT sending readings back (which is kinda the WHOLE idea!)
SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 53

Watch this video starting at 3 minutes 27 seconds in to see how it handles E7 

SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero

Oh and here is a quote from moneysavingexpert which maybe of interest from the E.ON Representative about E7 on the in house display (IHD) (text shows my bold)  http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5645235&page=3#51

Sounds like you, too, have one of the later types of In House Display we now supply with our smart meters. Unlike earlier versions, these will show the meter readings but, as you say, not the day/night split for Economy 7. Only the total. This is something we're looking at for the future.

Minivanman
Hero

So I take it @SpendLessTime that having "the later types of In House Display" it does not show that difference between day and night time usage. At the moment it just shows the clock so I guess that's where it will stay and I will have to see what my tariff reading is when it switches over during the night. 

We are on a cheaper night time tariff by the way because of storage heaters (which are off at the moment) and our overnight water heater.   

I dunno, seventy years old, and still climbing that learning curve Wink

Thanks guys Thumbs Up

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero

@Minivanman

The earlier ones didn't show the meter readings at all. Just the cost of energy used. If you wanted to know what the meter was reading you had to go to the meter itself. 

And that is how it is for E7 still if you want to know the spilt between day and night rates. The IHD shows the one value for total energy consumed so if you want to know how it is split you still need to read the meter. 

And this is another reason why smart meters in general UK are a joke. Eleven billion pounds adds to all our bills and they cannot even get the displays to work correctly.

jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

And why I refuse to have one until forced. The non-interchangability between suppliers renders them less than useless,

John
Fixes: 47

It has been suggested that a firmware upgrade to enable compatibility across the industry could be pushed out to all currently installed smart meters.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero

@Strat

That has been discussed over at moneysavingexpert  but it cannot work for various reasons.

1. Most meters firmware cannot be altered.
  2. the data communication channel from supplier to meter cannot handle the large data transfer required
  3. only the electricity meter talks to the supplier, the gas meter uses a zigbee radio transmission to tell the electricity meter what its reading is every 30 minutes and then deep sleeps as it is battery powered so must save energy to last the 5 to 7 years of its life span.

There is talk of yet another IT system which would take the current SMET1 readings sent to the individual suppliers and then pass them onto the DCC (the central meter reading authority) and then those readings would be converted into the format to be added into the SMET2 central database. But that is all talk currently and has zero budget or feasibility study.

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

When I was on Economy 7 at my last address, the changeover from day to night rate was midnight GMT (1 am BST) as far as I remember; other companies may use different times.  They also introduced a third rate for electricity use for, I think, three hours of their choosing when demand was low although I never signed up for this.

Community Veteran

https://eandt.theiet.org/content/articles/2017/04/software-engineers-in-race-against-time-to-make-sm...

Aarrrrggghhhh... Crapita is involved!! Kiss of death.

"The Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy admits the first generation smart meters are still not interoperable with the centralised data Data Communications Company (DCC) hub, which is run by outsourcing giant Capita as part of a £175million government contract."

Minivanman
Hero

Well it seems it did need time to settle in as when making my morning cuppa, I checked the meter and in the clock position it now tells me I have just over an hour to go before is switches over to what will be the day time tariff, so all's well that ends well - given enough time. Smiley

SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero

So I hope you have all the energy sucking devices ready for tomorrow morning as having a cheap rate at 8am means washing machine etc can be used first thing and save "loads of money" to quote Mr Enfield.

Minivanman
Hero

We were doing that already.

As said the immersion goes on overnight and add to that a washing machine on timer and a breadmaker that switches off at 7am. Toaster is only the real 'energy sucker' and that's just for munchies, and the electric kettle has been consigned to my man cave for emergencies only in case we run out of propane gas..... which hasn't happened yet. 

Good to see how it monitors anyway and what the exact costs are. Early days though.