cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Meters - Government now blackmailing the public....

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Smart Meters - Government now blackmailing the public....

Just read a report, that the government are threatening blackmail action, against those who do not get a smart meter installed.

The government, have set the power industry suppliers a target, and if they don`t reach the target, they, the government, will "Invoke the law" to make them ( the suppliers ) pay extortion money as a way to get the targets realised,

This, of course, will mean, the the suppliers WILL hike up electicity prices, to those who do not have a smart meter... and boy are they going to hike it up...

In effect... the government are blackmailing the public, saying if you don`t get one....  then you WILL be paying a high charge for your power.

as many comments state.... Having a smart meter DOES NOT SAVE the consumer money .  

The consumer still needs to use the same amount of electricity to iron their same amount of clothes..

. wash the same amount of clothes,

cook the same meals ( electric cooking )

boil the same amount of water for a kettle... etc...

It is only when the consumer actually cuts their USAGE that they will save money....

and you don`t need as "smart" meter for that....

just a "smart" way of using electricity in a personal way..

So how can you stop the government from blackmailing you?   Try calling the police... Huh  Get your solicitor to take the government to court? 

Yeah   good luck with all that...

NOPE !... we ..." the suckers"  ( aka general public) ,  just have to grin and bear it...

88 REPLIES 88
wotsup
Seasoned Champion

Re: Smart Meters - Government now blackmailing the public....

Any chance oh Gina Miller taking the side of people who don't want a dumb smart meter ? No I thought not - too busy trying to stop Brexit.  

I remember in 2001 the water industry was 'outed' for putting up the cost of water to people without a meter to make up the shortfall in revenue due to lower bills of people with a meter who were now only being charged for water they used rather than the amount the water company wanted to charge them.  There is no incentive to get a smart meter only dis-incentives due to the stupid way they were rushed in before being sorted, and did not work when you changed supplier... they need to offer cheaper off peak power and other benefits rather than just expecting people to have a flawed bit of kit fitted...

TTman
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 1

@shutter  Have already got a smart meter for 3years and had a load of trouble wirh it!!!!! So will not be a happy bunny if I have to pay increased prices because the firms have not hit thier targets. ☹️

ffox
Pro

@shutter 

The only links I can find to reports saying that that are in The Daily Mail and The Sun, so I'm a bit doubtful.  (Sorry.🙂)

Have you seen this one?

nozzer
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@shutter 

I can't find any stories which say that. The only one that's out there and easily locatable is that the deadline has been put back to 2024 for 85% of households to have one fitted. There isn't a law that requires one to be fitted so I'm not confident that any law can be invoked to enforce it. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49721436

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@nozzer 

There may be no law that requires you to have a smart meter but you can bet they will either introduce one or take some other form of action such as that mentioned in earlier posts to encourage you to have one.

Fits well with the governments claim such meters will help to reduce climate change......rubbish of course but it sounds good and some will believe such nonsense.

The fact there have been so many complaints about these things from users is of course irrelevant.

🙄

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@ffox 

You don't think @shutter should be taken to task for not providing a link then.

Hmm. 😛

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
shutter
Community Veteran

@Minivanman try this one... ! ! ! ...

https://www.businessgreen.com/bg/news/3081602/government-unveils-plan-to-force-smart-meter-roll-out

Of course... you will have to "sign up" to read it all.... but.....hey... that`s life... ! 

Or  this one.... if you are a "cheapskate" like me ! ! !  (guffawing chinaman emoticon! ) .

ttps://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-7376629/Energy-firms-hit-refuse-smart-meters-higher-bills....

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

1. My electric company isn't even offering smart meters at the moment due to a lack of cross compatibility.
  2. How many people had "smart" meters fitted, then changed suppliers and the meter became dumb again? There is still no meter compatible with all suppliers, so will switching be affected?
  3. Conspiracy theorists believe it is just the thin end of the wedge. Once on smart meters, "time pricing" can be introduced at will to ty and influence electric use patterns (similar to eco 7 now i suppose, but ore of them). 

Mark

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Marksfish 

Indeed, and we now have two. 

One being used - which I must say we have found quite useful in monitoring how much and when, with the other less so as it just got stuck in the shed!

What a waste eh.

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,179

@Marksfish wrote:

Conspiracy theorists believe it is just the thin end of the wedge. Once on smart meters, "time pricing" can be introduced at will to ty and influence electric use patterns (similar to eco 7 now i suppose, but ore of them). 

Mark

Shame no one seems to be able to guarantee that smart meters aren't eco 7 compatible - which is why we don't have one.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
wotsup
Seasoned Champion

We have had an OWL monitor for many years that cost less than £20,  batteries last over 2 years and I tells me all I need to know about electricity use in real time and historic.  Smart meters are good for people who don't know how to read their meter or can't be bothered to do it every 3 months, or who don't know a 3kw kettle uses more energy than a 5watt LED light bulb... 

Strat
Fixes: 506

I had smart meters fitted and for more than a year I had to send in meter readings as my 'supplier' didn't have the technology in place to read the meters remotely.

They do now.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 88.0.1 (64-bit)

shutter
Community Veteran

Where I am sitting... and I sit here most of the day and evening, is about 8 feet from my electric meter.... 

I don`t sit here watching it going round and round, and racking up  the digits, though... I look at it regularly on the 18th of each month... write down the figures ( and the gas meter of course) .. then I get back in this seat... do a few clicks on the keyboard... enter the digits in their relevant places, and wait for the email to come back telling me how much my bill is...

Now... IF.... i were to get a smart meter... it sure would save me energy.... but not the kind that is metered..... just save me from doing what I do every month... however,.... the doc may put another spin on my activities... saying that the mental and physical side of doing aforementioned meter reading and reporting... is good for my health...

I think I am smart enough to know that when I switch on the kettle, with it showing 2 cups of water in for my tea,  then I am using the minimum amount of  (electrical) energy required to make said tea.... of course, the toaster works on another principle,  it chucks out the bread, when it is done... Smart toaster, hey  ?  ??   Likewise the washing machine,  switches itself off, after it has completed the program I set it to do... smart washing machine.. Huh   ? ?

A smart meter will NOT save me money,.... unless, of course, I am blackmailed, by the government, via the power company`s billing process, to get one installed, for a reduction in the yearly cost..

If you read the article in the second linky... you will see that OFGEM has NO POWER (sic) or should that be (SICK) (puking chinaman emoticon here) ... to control what the power companies charge or how they define their tarriff`s..

. so it`s just another powerless QUANGO.

shutter
Community Veteran

@Strat wrote:

I had smart meters fitted and for more than a year I had to send in meter readings as my 'supplier' didn't have the technology in place to read the meters remotely.

They do now.

Your "supplier" and all the others, have had the technology for many years, to read meters remotely..... it is called  "you".... the customer .... ( raised sunglasses emoticon )