cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Meters - Government now blackmailing the public....

VileReynard
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 18

Re: Smart Meters - Government now blackmailing the public....

@Minivanman wrote:

How about a bike linked up to a dynamo, I could do with losing more than a few pounds in weight.

Win win. 😃

Just like in "Soylent Green"?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

The added bonus of Soylent Green is it dealt with the excess amount of people with no purpose in life, only in reality that'd be applied to all the rich youknowwhats who inherited their riches and serve no purpose in life... 😂

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

That would be  a sure way to encourage a bit of wealth sharing.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@twocvbloke 

And when was Soylent Green set?

2022, so not long to go folks before checking what your pasta verde is really made of!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Minivanman 🤣

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@Minivanman wrote:

so not long to go folks before checking what your pasta verde is really made of!

Good job I'm not a pasta eater!!! 🤣

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

Just had a flyer from western power through the door,  extolling how they look after us every day.  One of the few items on the flyer is about smart meters,  and how they help track the power being used in different areas and how if you have a smart meter it helps them plan which equipment needs upgrading or replacing. Well I am sorry - if they don't already know this they are failing as a power supply utility company...   They also go on about your data and their privacy policy,  they are pretty relentless in their quest to get everyone onto smart meters with 'state of the art Ark' ( Noahs I guess ) technology,  wait a few decades until they are sorted is probably a good plan.

VileReynard
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 18

That's a bit weird as the power distribution companies are separate from the retail companies (who arrange for the installing of these newfangled meters).

Anyway, why don't they just bolt a few "smart" meters onto their substations?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

Yes, I've noticed a change in the wording of their 'offer'.  I recently received a card informing me that my smart meter was in the warehouse ready for installation and would I kindly choose a time slot for it to be installed.  There may be people who assume from this that they have no choice.

DaveCW
Rising Star

The Energy companies are missing the Targets because they can't recruit enough people to do the fitting. They can't fulfil the appointments they have. I would suspect if they had enough people the would be proactive and just contact customers and tell them when the swap will be done, but as it is there is no chance they will hit the Government targets.

I am with EON, and Morrisons fit the Meters for EON. I was mucked about. Appointment that I made was cancelled short notice by them, After a bit of a complaint I did get it done a couple of days later.

I live in the North of Scotland, they had one Engineer up from Glasgow covering Moray & the Highlands. After he had fitted mine that was him away to fit Meters in Reading for better money.

My house was built in 88, Me & Herself are the only people to have lived there, The Lecky Meter was changed a couple of times over the years but the gas Meter was original to the house. We had noticed the Gas pressure was not as good as it used to be. Once it was swapped out for the new smart jobbie the Gas pressure is back to what it was. I like the new Meters, i don't have to read them and My Mrs has got in to the habit of comparing usage day on day and now turns stuff off she is not using my house is no longer over illuminated or TV just left on in an empty room. 

Community Veteran

@Jonpe wrote:

Ywould I kindly choose a time slot for it to be installed

I've had a few phone calls which more or less start "Your smart meter is ready when would it be convenient for us to install it".

No thanks, goodbye.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 30

@DaveCW wrote:

I like the new Meters, i don't have to read them and My Mrs has got in to the habit of comparing usage day on day and now turns stuff off she is not using my house is no longer over illuminated or TV just left on in an empty room. 

Interesting to note, that a Scots person, ( assuming you are Scottish! ! ) ..  needed to have a "smart meter" fitted to help them save money  ! ! ( guffawing chinaman emoticon)

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's a bit rich coming from a Yorkshire man that's so tight he squeaks! Wink

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

@billnotben wrote:

@Jonpe wrote:

Ywould I kindly choose a time slot for it to be installed

I've had a few phone calls ...

I've only ever had one such call, and the caller sounded very surprised that I didn't want a new meter.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 30

@Anonymous wrote:

That's a bit rich coming from a Yorkshire man that's so tight he squeaks! Wink

Yeah... but... I  don`t need a "smart" meter to tell me how to save money...

. I was brought up that way ! !

Smart ! ! ... ( smiling chinaman emoticon )