cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Meters - Government now blackmailing the public....

Highlighted
Pro

Re: Smart Meters - Government now blackmailing the public....

As commented at the very beginning of this thread there is nothing particularly smart about having the common sense to use less energy.

Appropriately, today is 1st of the month when I submit my meter readings on line and put them in a spreadsheet which has 20 years of recordings. My gas is higher than usual for October but despite "global warming" the average daily temperature has been 2 degrees below the five year average here. Needs more investigation!

As this resulted in a bigger bill than usual I ckecked for better deals. There are better deals for Scottish (Spanish!) Power on Uswitch THAT THEY DO NOT TELL YOU ABOUT ON THEIR WEBSITE!! This is the sort of malpractice that really soes need looking into. FWIW a kilowatt of electricity costs the consumer three times as much as a kilowatt of gas and they still want us to go all electric!

No, I do not want a Smart meter as I believe they will use it to charge for using electricity for differing purposes, such a s car charging.  I do not want an electric car either.......

I shall now head into the garden armed with my felling axe and relive my irritation on a pile of logs with which to pollute the environment.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

I just hope you don't live in a smoke control area! 😉

But no, you are right of course and just a bit of common sense goes a long way, but for me a smart meter is just another tool in my energy saving toolbox and if it helps, and that little red light come on....

Water heater, washing machine, 'winter use only' night storage heater and even our bread maker only get used at night at that lower rate. Our little wood burner only in the evening, and never overloaded so it's still blazing away overnight. 

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

One thing I hate about energy costs is, it costs X to generate or acquire, Y to distribute through the grid & gas network, but Z depends on how greedy the middleman "supplier" is, after all, they're buying the energy from the power stations and reselling it to us at an inflated cost, and I personally cannot see the logic in that, but we've Thatcher to blame for that, given she decided it was a great idea for the electricity boards to be sold to shareholders who only wanted bags o' money out of it.....

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Yet here we all are with middleman Plusnet.

Just saying. 😨

Highlighted
Community Veteran

I think if we still had the GPO operating the phonelines, we'd be using dialup and rotary dial phones still... 🤣

After all, they "saw no use in public wireless mobile telephones" in the late 70s, boy were they wrong!!! 😂

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Smartmeters were introduced to deal with the problem of under-capacity  in generator power stations. Nuclear power is less available and coal fired power stations are on the way out. Renewable power availability is erratic, so as demand grows and generating capacity reduces, the government needed a mechanism to persuade people to load shed their usage. Heavy industry such as steel producers already do this for both electricity and gas.

Gradually you'll see consumer and business tariffs that charge consumers extra during peak demand periods (or less during trough periods). The IoT would allow automation of the process. For people on dumb meters electricity will get very expensive.

As electric vehicles phase out petrol/diesel vehicles, and household gas central heating is phased out, the demands on the national grid will become more acute with even greater peaks. 

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

There's another issue that could crop up with smart metering, as they can measure power factor, so if you have things with a poor power factor (capacitive dropper supplies, as used in LED lighting), you could end up being charged a lot more for the cheaper "energy saving" devices, and power factor is a pain to figure out as nobody quotes any numbers for it on their products...

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Meters or no, we'll all end up paying more for our energy needs and there will be diddly-squat we can do about it other than dump the car and disengage from the grid.

Four Candles anyone?

*Sigh*

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Just make charcoal, cos then you can capture the woodgas in a gasometer, and then feed that into a generator, and there you have electricity for as long as you have gas, soooo, maybe also invest in batteries and an inverter too, just to keep the lights on... 😁

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

How about a bike linked up to a dynamo, I could do with losing more than a few pounds in weight.

Win win. 😃

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Yep, you could do that, oooooor, get someone else to do it for you... 😁

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Just go off-grid: install and run battery bank, inverter backed up a diesel generator (red diesel).

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Just don't forget to install plenty of sound insulation around the generator, cos diesel gens are looooooud!!! 😂

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

@Minivanman wrote:

Meters or no, we'll all end up paying more for our energy needs and there will be diddly-squat we can do about it other than dump the car and disengage from the grid.

Four Candles anyone?

*Sigh*

@Minivanman Do they come with lighting instructions?fork han.gif

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Well if Minecraft is anything to go by, just place a lump of coal on the end and it'll instantly turn into a torch... 🤣