cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Meter

jmd
Grafter

Smart Meter

I have had a letter from EON offering me the chance to have a smart meter installed for my gas and electricity so that I can save [?] power by seeing what I use.
Not sure about this.
Has anyone had this done?
What concerns me is whether you can change supplier to reduce costs once you have meters changed?
9 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Smart Meter

I have  Smart Meters. No  problems with the Electricity but the Gas is a battery powered device and after 19 months the battery I'm assuming has gone flat as the gas meter has not been remotely read for the last 6 months.
I can see what I have used the next day. The Electricity is broken down into half hour intervals and the Gas is read daily.
Was looking at changing supplier to British Gas but they will not adopt the meters even though they offer smart meters themselves. But as the meters can be read manually I/you will still be able to change to another supplier.
Fixes: 47

This is what npower have to say on the subject.
Are npower installing smart meters now?
npower have had a smart meter trial running for some time now. However we are not currently installing smart meters, and for good reason. Suppliers (npower included) will have to start rolling out smart meters to our customers from spring 2014. At the moment the industry and the government are finalising the exact specifications for these smart meters. There’s still a lot of work to do, but we expect the specifications to be finalised by early 2012 and that meters which are compliant with this specification to be available by the end of 2012. When we have compliant meters we’ll start installing them in increasing volumes, initially through pilots, to ensure we’re in great shape for the big roll out in 2014.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Could be worth checking out iPlayer - this was discussed today on You and Yours (first item) - http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/radio/bbc_radio_four/20120206
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

It works. I just had a smart meter installed on the Electricity. When the power came back it cooked one of my PC towers, so I no longer run that box.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 47

A quote from this article on the BBC
Will this make it more difficult to switch supplier to save on bills?
There is different branding on smart meters, made by different companies.
However, the plan is for all types of meters to have the same specifications, so if you want to switch suppliers you will not need to get a new meter installed.
These specifications are still being ironed out among suppliers before the main roll-out begins.
Switching suppliers to get a better deal should be as easy as it is now.
You will not get a different meter if you pay in different ways - such as pre-payment or quarterly by cheque.

The implication seems to be..don't get one fitted just yet as it may not be to the final specification.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
itsme
Grafter

As stated in my post above the Electricity meter store readings every half an hour and upload these once a day so I can see my usage on line. Reading EON descriptions on how theirs work it seem that the meters only upload once a month and a Energy monitor is used to monitor current usage and probably some historical data. So probably a bluetooth connection is used between meter and monitor.
jmd
Grafter

According to what I have read about the EON ones they do not use a monitor but you have a actual display unit.
  Am still thinking about it and thank you for the comments.
Community Veteran

I've read that there is no standard agreed for the meters yet and when this is established some of the existing ones will not work if you change suppliers.  I think it's better to wait a while.
Community Veteran

Just found this article.  Worth a read:
Smart meter