Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Meter... no way. They must be joking

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

Re: Smart Meter... no way. They must be joking

@billnotben wrote:

It's also been stated that the real savings will be made by the power suppliers ...

Our electricity supplier (EDF) could make a saving if they stopped sending us unwanted letters, at least one a week, trying to push an unwanted smart meter at us.  Angry

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I've had several door knockers, all saying the things they are not supposed to, trying to convince me to have a smart spawn of Satan meter fitted.

And more than a few phone calls where they laughably start by saying "What time would you like to book to get your meter fitted".

They are using every dirty trick in the book to convince people to have a meter fitted. Despite government warnings to stop this underhand approach.

I assume these door knocking phone caller people are paid per meter.

It annoys me that the government can't get a grip of this nonsense and just makes me more determined to tell them where to shove it.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

What I dislike about Smart Meters is the deception, treating assertion as fact and hiding of the underlying reason. The reason for this scheme is because we don't have enough power stations existing, planned and being built. The idea is that somehow people will avoid using excess power if they know how much they are using. Somewhere on a spreadsheet is a projection of guesses that "x" power stations will be saved if the average public power consumption is reduced by "n%".  This makes no provision for system resilience, or the interuption of supplies from overseas.  

So have a cold overcast calm weather cold winter's day and some recently discovered cracks in a nuclear power shation, leading to shutdown, then suddenly we could be facing cascading power outages in the UK.  The politicians are substituting marketing for engineering.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

It's a mystery why the advertising standards didn't  pull their advert right at the start.

The very idea that the meter saves you energy is a complete lie. It does nothing of the sort. All it does is assume the consumer is stupid and needs the consumption to be shown in a "Dear Janet" style so their simple brains can understand it better.

Of course they say that it encourages consumers to save energy. I have news for them. The ever expanding bills already do that.

Highlighted
Rising Star

It is a mystery to me why this is news.  Smartmeters were intended right from the beginning of the project to enable TofU pricing (Time of Use pricing).  That's in all the strategic documents.   I mentioned this in the forum last year on an earlier smart meter thread:

https://community.plus.net/t5/General-Chat/Smart-meters/m-p/1484931#M235360

Journalists suddenly 'discovering' this is frankly risible.  The powers that be have certainly not wanted it talked about until the meters were installed in a reasonable fraction of users properties. Hopefully these (rather late) reports will stall the project before it achieves critical mass.

The reason that TofU is wanted is that a conscious decision was made not to build enough generating capacity, but rather to ration use in two ways. The first is load shedding (switching off either large users, or things such as fridges or freezers on separate circuits), the second is rationing by price, or TofU. The word they really don't want you to use is 'rationing'. But that is what is intended. Rationing by price or supply.

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Surprise, surprise....

Privacy concerns as energy companies could be given access to all smart meter data and take readings every 30 minutes

"One source, who wished to be kept anonymous, said the move raised serious questions over individuals' right to privacy - even though households will have to give their express permission before their data is shared. 

The hope is that the new technology will be used to create better access to cheaper deals and even personalised tariffs, but some critics worry about firms being able to us data to monitor households' behaviour and that granting permission will open the door to all third parties accessing data."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/bills/article-6899429/Energy-companies-soon-able-access-smart-mete...

And they will no doubt "charge" you more when you plug in your electric car to charge the batteries (a heavy load)!

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 8

Interesting news yesterday. SSE laying off staff in their retail division mainly due to the poor uptake of smart meters from the public.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2019/05/08/sse-plans-400-job-cuts-smart-meter-uptake-disappoint...

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

Slightly OT but I got an e-mail yesterday from my supplier starting "As you are registered for paperless billing, ... "  I have not registered for paperless billing.  Fortunately there were instructions to follow should I wish to continue receiving paper bills.  However, had those instructions not been there, I would never have found the relevant section since it is well hidden.  It would appear that the supplier in question had taken it upon themselves to change my preferences, presumably hoping I wouldn't notice.  Needless to say, an e-mail has been sent to headofcustomerservice@etc.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Nationwide has done exactly the same thing.

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

Smart meters 'might' have made sense if they came with ways to control various appliances when real time prices go high. But they are a dumb gimmick. Any so called price saving is wiped out once you include controlling equipment overheads.

LED lighting is similar. Round here, the Council have replaced lighting all over the place. It goes off at midnight, back on at 6am, if still dark. Must have cost a small fortune, so pay back is certainly in the order of X years time. More reliable? The one outside failed after a couple of weeks. With labour cost to replace, let's say £60. That would buy a lot of electricity

New builds might be a different ball game though. As for my 60's built house, it carry on as before. I've got an E7 meter that surprisingly does save me money over a standard rate.
Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

Having changed most bulbs to LED or other low energy ones, and having given up the old video recorder for a Humax which uses 3W (yes, that's single Watts) when on stand-by, my usage hasn't come down.

Our council has installed solar powered (or are they just solar assisted?) street lights which are dimmed at night.  The local park got lights along its footpaths some years ago, but they go off at midnight and come on at 5 am. I think it is.  With all the talk of the 24-hour society/city, shouldn't those who facilitate this (nurses, doctors, transport workers etc.) also be able to enjoy the benefits of adequate lighting when going to work or coming home at all hours?

Edited for spelling and punctuation.

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

I too have nearly got a house full of LED lights but I didn't scrap all my existing lamps to get there. Cost wise it just wouldn't make sense. But they are worth buying when some great deals pop up but does make me wonder what the mark up is when that happens.
Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

@billnotben wrote:

Nationwide has done exactly the same thing.

I think it's if you've accessed your statements online they've automatically switched you to paperless. You can switch back.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Highlighted
Fixes: 475

I have smart meters with Npower.

For the first year or so I had to send in readings as they hadn't the technology set up to read them remotely.

More recently they missed a gas reading and asked me to send one in manually.

That was a mistake as for subsequent months I used no gas according to my online account.

Apparently by sending in my customer reading it reset the gas part of the automated system on my account Roll_eyes

They removed all customer readings from my account, did a manual refresh and everything was once again rosy.

As far as street lights are concerned, our road was changed from sodium lighting to LED lighting.

One advantage to this is I have a security camera watching the front of my property and if anything happens out there I can provide the police with a full colour video of the event.

Previously it would have been an orange video, much less useful for identifying people and vehicles.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 81.0 (64-bit)

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

@Strat wrote:

As far as street lights are concerned, our road was changed from sodium lighting to LED lighting.

One advantage to this is I have a security camera watching the front of my property and if anything happens out there I can provide the police with a full colour video of the event.

Previously it would have been an orange video, much less useful for identifying people and vehicles.

A good point, and one I hadn't thought about myself.

I've got a camera pointing out over our front entrance and the street which has been installed for about 5 years, and it gives a very good image at night time compared to some other cameras I've seen even though the only light source is a street light nearby.  The street lights were changed over several years before the camera was installed (but I can't remember what type they were before) so I don't know what quality video I would have got with the previous one, but I wonder if the camera would adjust to allow partially for the different colour.

After viewing video about 4 years ago of an attempted burglary a few minutes after the incident (and it transpired the pair had just burgled a house along the road a few minutes before trying ours as I found the evidence in our other gateway, so no innocent until proven guilty IMO), the policewoman of the pair attending asked if that area was floodlit - and she'd just walked in the front door without noticing it wasn't.

Another time the camera captured footage of someone reaching over to pick up a rock from our garden and chuck it through a car window, giving a fairly good view of his face in the process.  Again the copper attending the next day after it was discovered commented on the quality of the video compared to most that they see which turn out to be a waste of time.  On that occasion I suspect the culprit was the driver/owner of the car, peeved at the fact the car had been clamped by the DVLA for no road tax etc. which was later lifted by DVLA, presumably for crushing.

So a +1 from me for LED street lighting. Thumbs_Up