Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Meter... no way. They must be joking

Infinity
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Smart Meter... no way. They must be joking

Surprise, Surprise.

Smart Meters can be adjusted to charge more during peak periods !!!

So called Surge Pricing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6008959/Smart-meters-lead-surge-pricing-admits-Scottish-Powe...

I understand the smart meters can be configured to not work with other suppliers..

So making it difficult to switch

We have not allowed a smart meter to be installed, despite being bombarded with spam from the supplier

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/experts/article-5990447/My-energy-provider-said-need-new-meter-just...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Same for contactless Debit cards..... no way.

We asked for, and got, debit & credit cards that are not contactless.

19 REPLIES
Fixes: 355

Re: Smart Meter... no way. They must be joking

what you think they will do differential pricing for contactless debit cards Huh

Customer / Moderator / If it helped click the thumb / If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Referring to the fact you have no control over amounts charged, in some cases.

OP clarified ( I hope !)

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Look it another way - they can be programmed to give you cheaper electricity when overall demand is low. Some suppliers do that.

I can't see the problem with encouraging people to be sensible with their usage.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 37

I read this article on the BBC last week where it says that the yearly saving on average is only £11

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44903471

I can understand the rationale behind installing them, as user's will be looking at the screen wondering how much they'll save if they switch off X and Y. But I suspect that will be short lived as the tedium of switching stuff back on when you want to use it will soon wear off.

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

@Mook wrote:

I can understand the rationale behind installing them, as user's will be looking at the screen wondering how much they'll save if they switch off X and Y. But I suspect that will be short lived as the tedium of switching stuff back on when you want to use it will soon wear off.

We have one of these energy monitors,  supplied for free, by our electricity company 7 years ago.

It has been faultless ever since.

I do very occasionally check the monitor, which permanently displays usage, costs etc continuously.

Screen Shot 2018-07-31 at 11.18.24.jpg

Fixes: 179

I have had an Owl electricity monitor for a few years now.

Since the installation of my smart meters I can compare the two and the Owl consistently displays a higher KW than the smart meter.

E.G. 385 watts for the Owl meter v 282 watts for the smart meter.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 64.0 (64-bit)

RobPN
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@Infinity wrote:

We have one of these energy monitors, . 

@Infinity

In the tech specs for your monitor it mentions a sensor which I would expect.

I'm curious as to whether this has to be attached to the main thick black cable coming in to the house, or does it attach to the meter tails? (Curious because our main incoming cable is 'boxed in')

Community Veteran

@RobPN

They are normally a "proximity" sensor that wraps around one of the main incoming cables but not actually connected to it. Detects the magnetic flux generated by the current flow. They are notoriously inaccurate!

I understand the smart meters can be configured to not work with other suppliers.. 

They can't be configured to do this...the reason most of them have problems when switching suppliers is that the vast majority of smart meters already fitted work to an early specification that does not allow transferring between suppliers. And the SMETS database currently being developed by Capita (bless their cotton socks!) is not compatible with ANY smart meter already installed, so either they all will have to be replaced, or the project will have to be abandoned.

RobPN
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@nozzer

Yes, thanks Smiley , I thought that was the case, but I wondered if it had to go on the main cable or the tails of the meter.

I probably won't be getting one though, and I won't be having a smart meter installed either.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 37

@Infinity wrote:

@Mook wrote:

I do very occasionally check the monitor, which permanently displays usage, costs etc continuously.

My point exactly, once the novelty has worn off then it's usage as usual.

I think a really useful option would be the ability to press a switch on the unit then turn stuff off, when you press the switch again it could tell you if you did that everyday for an hour every day you would save X in the year, 2 hours Y in the year. etc. It might then put the user into a different mind set knowing there were tangible saving to be made.

198kHz
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 13

It's a typical government IT fiasco, with a current estimate of c. £20 billion. :o 
It's a networked system running on software - ergo - it's going to be hacked.
For a fraction of the cost, households with inaccessible meters, or those with in flats with meters in a locked basement etc, could be provided with non-networked meters that transmitted readings to a portable device in the home.

Remember you are unique - just like everyone else
Community Veteran

Why not be like the bloke down the road, who says he's discovered he doesn't need a meter at all since he connected some wires into the big thick connectors in the bottom of the meter box! OOPS!  Embarrassed

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

@RobPN wrote:
@Infinity wrote:

We have one of these energy monitors, . 

@Infinity

In the tech specs for your monitor it mentions a sensor which I would expect.

I'm curious as to whether this has to be attached to the main thick black cable coming in to the house, or does it attach to the meter tails? (Curious because our main incoming cable is 'boxed in')

It clips around and is attached to the main thick black cable coming in to the house.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

The apparent latest smart meter customer savings figures are right down now to an alleged £11 for the average user whoever they are.

It's also been stated that the real savings will be made by the power suppliers who are not expected to past them on to the customer surprise surprise.

Most people have been saying this from the start. I even think the £11 savings are nothing more than someone's exaggerated wishful thinking.