Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Meter... no way. They must be joking

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Smart Meter... no way. They must be joking

Well mine is still lighting up the kitchen at night with no bother, and no aliens have abducted me (as far as I know) and besides, they knew all about by electricity usage already - and I have the bills to prove it!  

Those who dance are considered mad by those who cannot hear the music
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

The article linked to in @maranello's post says, " ... neither is there an objective for suppliers to use smart meter date to increase bills during peak hours."

How often do we hear, "We have no plans to ... ", then a short time later they do whatever they claimed to have no plans to do?

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

The adverts have given up banging on about all the money they will save you.

Now they will only save the planet and polar bears.

How do the advertisers get away with this guff. Are there no regulations in passing off fairy stories as facts.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

Over on the MSE forums it is not uncommon to see threads in which the supplier has not asked for or read meters for some time, and or where the customer has no effort to supply readings. The result is large under or over payments.

If a supplier fails to read it can recover only one year's cost, so for it I can see definite and justified advantage in the introduction of smart metering. The can't BRSD customer maybe smart meters should be imposed. After all, who pays for their delayed or inadequate or written off payments? In the end it is you and I.

Landlords, who don't permit free access to tenants' meters should also be legislated against.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

When the frequency of meter reading was decreased from four times a year to twice a year, my first estimated bill was for exactly the same number of units as I'd used that quarter the previous year.  However, since then my estimated bills seem to be wild guesses.  To make matters more puzzling every bill contains a bar graph comparing that quarter's usage with the same quarter last year, and the increase is sometimes nearly 70%.  If I used, say, 300 units last summer, is it likely that I would have used 500 units this summer?  Probably a good way for the suppliers to improve their cash flow, but I always submit a reading if their estimate is out by more than a few percent.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Jonpe 

Those estimates are garbage and have no basis in reality. I know ours was so far out and over top as to be simply staggering. 

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 25

I've ignored two emails so far from Bulb inviting me to apply for a smart meter, now that they've started rolling out SMETS2. To be fair, they make it plain that there's no obligation.

Interesting to note that their forum is chocker with complaints about smart meters not functioning properly.

With the coming of old age, you will know all the answers; but nobody will ask any of the questions any more
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Just checking my memory (it takes time to warm up after a snooze) and our monthly bill for electric was around the £35 mark and we pay I think £50 a month on our budget which means the following we year are in credit, which of course gives us a nice start for the next round. The last estimate we had was that our monthly payments should now go up to £160 so if course, I'm on right on the blower steam coming out of my hairy lugholes.

"Ah yes, I see where we have gone wrong sir, that should have been £38.40" 

Yeh right, flaming robbers.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@198kHz wrote:

To be fair, they make it plain that there's no obligation.

Which is unlike the couple of phone calls I've had which go something like "we are in your area next week when would you like us to call and fit your smart meter".

The forum won't let me type my usual reply to this.Smiley

I guess some company is getting paid per order.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 25

It's a farce - and we're paying for it.  Sad

https://www.energyvoice.com/opinion/195111/why-the-smart-meter-rollout-target-needs-revising/

With the coming of old age, you will know all the answers; but nobody will ask any of the questions any more
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@198kHz 

Well we changed supplier so from that link I guess ours is now a dumb meter and although it tells us what we are using, it bears no relation to what we are being charged (or rather what they tried to charge) which might explain why that 'estimate' for our new monthly bill was so outrageously high.

Garbage in, garbage out?