cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow broadband speed.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Slow broadband speed.

Interesting article in todays paper regarding Richard Guy who used a 4G signal along with a router that translates the 4G signal into language the computer can understand to provide fast broadband to a local farm.
The claimed increase in speed has gone from 0.5 to 70 so despite the cost being too high for the average home user fast broadband for a business may be essential.
There might also be a opportunity out there for those with the necessary skills, which I suspect the majority of people on this forum have, to set up similar systems for small business users in their area.
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Slow broadband speed.

Richard Guy who used a 4G signal along with a router that translates the 4G signal into language the computer can understand

Erm... isn`t that called a "smart phone  ".....
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

No, it's called a remotely located 4G transceiver in a box on a couple of sticks with a fibre (real fibre, none of this FTTC sillyness) link back to their house, it was on the daily fail site on Sunday:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3200291/Farmer-sick-poor-internet-signal-built-DIY-mast.html
Hate linking to that site, but it's one of the few things I do find interesting on there, and by few I mean about two things... Grin
Though I should probably point out, the daily fail got it wrong (surprise surprise), the 4G receiver's in the top box (after all, higher the antenna, the better reception), with the batteries in the lower box, after all, batteries up top would make it quite unstable in the wind, plus you can see the fibre cable running out of the top box, so, yeah, facts, the DM fails to know them... Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

But the point is it can be done.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Indeed, before signing up for Plusnet, I was considering a similar setup, but indoors (with the antenna up in the attic or something) and mains powered, but it worked out cheaper to get FTTC seeing as it was available here... Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: shutter

Erm... isn`t that called a "smart phone  ".....

Dangling his dongle from post or summat like that.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.