cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slip of the Law

Community Veteran

Slip of the Law

You couldn't make it up if you tried!  A policewoman is suing a garage owner because she tripped on his premises whilst investigating a crime.
Slip of the Law
Edited - link corrected.
9 REPLIES
Fixes: 121

Re: Slip of the Law

I read that with disgust this morning. All I could think of was 'should have gone to Specsavers'.
So, now we can all go about with our eyes half-shut and sue who ever we want to?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Thanks Mav.for the correct link Embarrassed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I Suspect the case will get thrown out as torches are available to all member of the Police so in this case she has clearly not used one or there is something wrong with her vision.
If she is successful think of all the others who will come piling in with claims which the Tax Payer will have to fund.
Many jobs carry a degree of risk and if you are not prepared to accept than then you should not apply for the job. For example it's like a soldier asking for compensation because someone is shooting at him.
This is a Law Firm trying to get maximum publicity for free along with a newspaper looking for a good story.
Community Veteran

I think she might be looking in the wrong place as well for compensation.  If she sues anyone it should be her employer, i.e. the Police for sending her there. Her claim is being funded by the Police inion I think.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Yes I also read it on the suns website (though I treated it with a pinch of salt being the sun). It's absolutely shocking.
We've had quite a few dealings with the police over the last few years and now it makes me wonder if we should call them at all incase they get hurt and want to sue us.
I don't suppose saying on the phone "You come at your own risk and accept responsibility for your own actions and injuries" will work will it?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!

Perhaps we should stand at the gate with a disclaimer for them to sign before they enter a property.
What if they catch a hand on a protruding piece of metal while searching a car? Better print some disclaimers and have them handy Roll eyes

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Yeah I have to agree with that. Having had them round a few times to inspect criminal damage and also having a few pieces of metal laying around, perhaps I should also print off some disclaimers? "You do your job at your own risk" lol
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

If I have to call the police for help do I want officers like that coming to my aid?
Will they be helping me or helping themselves?
"He said regardless of the federation's view on any member's claim, a claim is forwarded to a solicitor to see whether there is any merit in it."
Isn't that called trying it on?
You would think that the police federation would care about the bad publicity actions like this cause but apparently not.

'Testing the water' comes to mind Huh