cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slimming

Community Veteran

Slimming

I wonder if anyone has had any experience of  slimming and loosing lots of weight?  The misses after a terrifying experience in hospital were she nearly died as they gave her a massive overdose of anesthetic went on a diet. She was 22st and she is now down to 9st. great you would think but no she has loads of loose skin and now she wont go out unless she has trousers on and a long sleeved top so no one can see the loose skin.
She has swapped one problem for another. Does anyone know if the skin goes back when you  are 42? No one seems to know the doctor said he had never seen anyone who had lost so much weight so didnt know. I asked a slimming club but they didnt know.
The solution to it seems to be surgery but after her experience before that is a no no but no one comes up with any other solutions. Surgery would be major to get rid of loose skin on arms  legs stomach and to much of a risk.
Someone somewhere must know someone who has lost a lot of weight and know what happens.
7 REPLIES
Fixes: 101

Re: Slimming

First congratulations to your misses that is a truly impressive feat.
My sister and sister-in-law have both lost quite a bit of weight and had some loose skin, surgery was one route they were told they could go down and as you say not a lot of other options.
The only other one was that my SIL started taking excersise classes and that helped and there is something here (can be a bit of a harsh read) that backs up that view http://www.bodyfatguide.com/LooseSkin.htm
Hope that you get something sorted.
Will Moderate For Thanks
pierre_pierre
Grafter

@Samuria - sent you a PM
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Exercise and plenty of Moisturiser  will get rid of some of it Smiley
bertie123
Dabbler

My sister - in - law had a gastric bybass and lost 12 stone, she also has excess skin, her consultant has said the skin needs to be removed as it will not shrink. It does not look good.
Community Veteran

This seems to be the problem everyone says surgery and no one has any other options. I dont know if this is because there isnt any or no one bothers telling you. Looking on the net there is a few that say  if you have loose skin you still have fat because if you get your body fat down low all the loose skin will go.
The other idea is you need to eat more as to burn off the fat thats left you need extra protein or you cant burn it off.  The problem is so few people loose over 10st that no one knows enough about it.

Surgery just isnt an option as she has loose skin on her arms legs stomach to do it would be like cutting her down the middle and stitching her back up. 
N/A

Sadly, it is probably nigh on impossible to shrink the loose skin and from what I have seen and read surgery is the only permanent fix.
On a more positive note, the loss of weight will be of huge benefit to health and well-being and she should feel enormously proud of the achievement. Weight loss on this scale is very hard to deal with, particularly as it takes a long time to accumulate and dietary habits are hard to change. Exercise if possible will help tone up the muscle which might help.
Hope that you are going to give Mrs S a nice treat - cruise to the Caribbean maybe? She deserves it.
jmd
Grafter

Oh a cruise is non stop eating so that would fill up the skin again nicely! Roll eyes