cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sleeping in the heat - Air Coolers

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Sleeping in the heat - Air Coolers

I, possibly like many, had a tortuous time trying to sleep last night in the heat. So this morning I order an Air Cooler from Amazon so I hope it lives up to the hype.
Now, being a fully paid up member of the Sods Law Society I know the weather is going to change and I'll not get to make use of it for weeks!
28 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Sleeping in the heat - Air Coolers

It was around 6 degrees here last night so the duvet was welcome.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Well if the clock / thermometer gadget in my room is telling the truth it was that plus another 20 in my bedroom, making sleeping, or at least trying to look like a horizontal audition for River Dance!
Community Veteran

I'm an insomniac so not the best of sleepers but I find the heat doesn't affect me. Just open the bedroom window and that's good Smiley
Fixes: 47

I had the window vent open and the room was about 19 degrees which I find comfortable.
As hopefully the days get warmer I expect to be dispensing with the duvet.
I'm interested in if the Air Cooler makes any noise.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

If its anything like the portable air conditioning unit I have it will be quite noisy so you may need ear plugs as well.
Community Veteran

@Strat That is one of my concerns so I'll update here when I find out.
If you're even interested it was one of these
Community Veteran

Have you got any insulation in your loft? It was max 18 here (Coventry) yesterday and min 5 overnight. Sounds like you have "hot-roof-tile" syndrome from the sunshine.
Community Veteran

One thing I always do if the temperature really gets high I lift the cover of the loft which allows the hottest air to go up there.
Community Veteran

The loft is insulated, but too well. I have patio doors out to the garden in my bedroom, and next to them is half height windows so the back wall in nearly all glass and it starts to get the sun at around 15:00 until it sets. But now it's coming in one of  the en-suite bathroom windows, the other window is on the same wall as the patio doors!
Opening the loft out in the hall would be an idea but I'll need to watch out for creepy crawlies!
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

We've tried Air Coolers, Fans & Air Conditioning inside.
However, the best thing we have found is to follow the Sun, closing curtains, with some help from large black suckered anti-insect nets to diffuse sunlight, with a good through breeze.
By follow the Sun, I mean pre-empt it !
Even on the hottest days, this keeps the internal temperature to a bearable maximum 20ºC daytime.
35ºC in Direct Sun outside a.t.m. !
And there is always the backup of the fitted Air Conditioning units, not as noisy as portable ones, but still distracting when trying to sleep.
Worst thing..... if they start to rattle during the night !
Air Coolers, any we have tried have worked by evaporating water from a large water bottle into the air, leading to condensation on internal glass of windows in the mornings.
Perhaps more modern ones work differently ?

nanotm
Pro

condensing coolers can be useful but there a magnitude of expense away from standard water or ice based coolers, last year for the first time in a long time I resorted to putting a bowl of icy water in front of a fan (which actually worked) but it left a thin film of water on everything by the morning, so I got 3 dehumidifiers (those chemical things) and placed them in the flow and that worked pretty well, certainly it eliminated the majority of the moisture from the air and yet still gave a nice cooling blast around the house.
a few years ago we had a superb system that pumped water from an underground tank through a radiator grill and instead of the winter hot air we had summer cold air ...... kind of wish such 1940's tech was still being used in modern housing systems ......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

The sun doesn't have a lot of effect to our bedroom 'cos it faces north (the bedroom, that is!)
When we had a south facing bedroom I bought a portable air conditioner which we ran for an hour or so before going to bed. That dropped the temp down to something reasonable!
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

Well I'm going to try and do the same but if it's quiet enough and needed I'll run it all night.
Fixes: 124

Quote from: artmo
I'm an insomniac so not the best of sleepers but I find the heat doesn't affect me. Just open the bedroom window and that's good Smiley

I do have periods of insomnia but SWMBO doesn't like the windows left open. To make matters worse I just can't sleep in bed without being covered by a duvet yet I can fall asleep in front of the telly without any problem Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still