cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sleep

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Sleep

I Thought as you got older you needed less sleep, I seem to need more and sleep like a log (without medication or alcohol)
How well do you sleep ?
30 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Sleep

By some standards not well. If I sleep for longer than a consecutive fours its a good nights sleep for me. As anybody who notes the times of the posts I make in chit chat will verify. My GP sees nothing wrong with this. On the very rare occasions I "sleep in" for more than eight hours I awake with a crashing headache feeling generally awful.
But I don't worry about it. Which is the worst thing you can do.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I am an insomniac and have been as long as I can remember.  I am lucky to get 4 continuous hours and always seem to wake around 4am and find it impossible to get back to sleep again.
I have spoken to my GP and when I get back from holiday I will be visiting a sleep clinic to see if there is anything that can be done for me. There are not very many proper sleep clinics around and I have been offered appointments at Cambridge, Oxford or the Royal London.  I will be contacting Cambridge. Although it is not the nearest it is a particularly good unit.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: artmo
.  I will be contacting Cambridge. Although it is not the nearest it is a particularly good unit.

If you`re going by train....... make sure the guard wakes you up when you arrive back home......... ! ! ! ! !! ! ! ! ...
Community Veteran

I like it Shutter Wink Wink (appropriate smiley)
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: artmo
I am an insomniac and have been as long as I can remember.  I am lucky to get 4 continuous hours and always seem to wake around 4am and find it impossible to get back to sleep again.
May I ask how much sleep you generally get per night? Is It worse than your 4 Hrs average? Also how were you diagnosed? As I am on sleeping pills but they don't work that great.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

My sleeping pattern is so screwed up I've no idea whats normal anymore.
I used to think I was late hitting the sack at 2am.. then i did night work... now i'm out of work.. half the time i got to bed at 2 and am still awake at 5....
I'm utterly confused..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Steve
Seasoned Pro

That wont help depression sprite, I take a shed load of pills for depression and sleep, They knock me out fast but only for a couple hours, Took me years to get the doctors to listen to me about my sleep. Now that gets treated with depression because no sleep makes It a whole lot worse. I'm only 36.
Community Veteran

May I ask how much sleep you generally get per night? Is It worse than your 4 Hrs average? Also how were you diagnosed? As I am on sleeping pills but they don't work that great.

It depends but I can normally get 2-3 hours sleep when I go to bed and then wake up.  I then can sleep again for a short period but by 4am I am awake and can't drop off again.  My insomnia was originally diagnosed by a professor at Kings College.  
Sleeping tablets are not the answer as you will eventually get used to them and they lose their effect.  If I have had a particularly bad patch I will sometimes take a Sonata.  This capsule is widely used in the US and my GP is happy to get it for me.  It is a short acting capsule and can give you up to 4 hours of sleep.  It's very useful as it can be taken at say 2am and you can still get p at 6am and start the day off normally.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

@Artmo, Tell me about It, My sleeping pills have just been Increased to double dosage, I may look Into Sonata, Is It herbal?
nadger
Rising Star

Overall I get a reasonable amount of sleep but it's probably in 90 minute spells. I normally wake up and have a drink of Robinsons Fruit & Barley then go back to sleep. I also have an hours nap most afternoons.
I'm not an early riser these days - probably about 08.30 most mornings.
Community Veteran

@Steve M No Sonata isn't herbal.  It's pharmaceutical name is Zaleplon.
Sonata
Steve
Seasoned Pro

@Artmo thanks, If you have any of these conditions, you may need a dose adjustment or special tests to safely take zaleplon

liver disease;
   sleep apnea (breathing stops while you are asleep);
   lung disease such as asthma, bronchitis, emphysema, or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD);
   a history of depression, mental illness, or suicidal thoughts; or
   a history of drug or alcohol addiction.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Have either of you tried "horlicks"?
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Ive tried many things but never tried horlicks, I used to sleep like a log, was a deep sleeper, All that changed when things went pear shaped In my life, However I have been sleeping In a single bed for the last 7 years and I'm 6 ft 2 in.I am In the middle of moving home to a much larger home, Where there Is space for a double bed, I also have ordered a double divan with memory foam 10 Inch deep mattress. Hopefully Ive reached a turning point In life and sleep may Improve Itself.