cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slave Labour?

Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Slave Labour?

Package delivered yesterday via one of the main courier services. Quick chat with the driver who showed me his stacked out van including the front passenger seat and told me he had 240 items to deliver that day. 

How is that possible, unless he is working hours on the road beyond safety limits and beyond decency.

By my calculation if he was doing an eight hour day that would mean what, one item every two minutes? 

Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not who somebody else is today
5 REPLIES 5
Community Veteran
Fixes: 15

Re: Slave Labour?

@Minivanman 

It does not take more than 2 minutes to chuck a parcel over the customers fence or leave it in the bin or on the door step !

Most of our parcels are left in a box near the front door.......delivery guy does not even bother to knock !

On a more serious note I guess if you are short of money you will take almost any legit job irrespective of how much it pays, some of these delivery firms employ drivers as self employed and pay them on the basis of each parcel delivered so minimum wage does not apply......more parcels delivered the more money you make !

Aspiring Legend

I don't see how any legitimate society can oblige somebody to work those sort of hours on the road. Some will celebrate the demise of Union power but are we not turning the clock back here?

It's just not right in my book, not right at all.Sad

Community Veteran
Fixes: 15

@Minivanman 

Not sure if the clock has gone forward that much, whatever advances take place in workers conditions you can bet they will pay for it somewhere else.

I guess you can come up with far more examples than me but take the minimum wage, as it rises the pension age also rises along with changing conditions which make the pension, if you ever get it, worth less.

Equally as the minimum wage rises companies will get rid of staff to cover the cost......then take them on as self employed, so the minimum wage does not apply.

It has been this way as far back in history as you want to go and can never change....those at the top with money and power will always ensure it stays that way.........

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

I did a prototype of a system for a courier firm a few years ago, which meant I spent a couple of mornings in one depot whilst the system was tried out. If I remember correctly most of them had around 120-140 parcels to deliver each day which they usually expected to have done in the mornings and then they would move on to collections in the afternoon.

Looking at Amazon Logistics, their app usually alerts me when they are 8 stops away, and checking the map they are usually then very close by. When they arrive at mine, were they might have a couple of parcels for me, they’ll often be also delivering to a few houses close by (they often ask can they leave their van at mine, as I have a good size parking space just off a busy road). That could quite easily be 10 parcels or so delivered in a couple of minutes.
Aspiring Legend

Now of course it's sat nav assisted which means more work for the same pay? That's the usual scenario I've found.

Never known of a job where corners are cut or there is not an angle to be worked (although Amazon warehouse workers may well disagree) and to be fair, our package arrived a day earlier than tracking told us and unannounced, so I guess the driver knew his route well and picked up a day early. 

Which ever way you shape it though it's still a hard and stressful job where maximuim work is expected for little time and little pay. As for houses near each other then sure that happens as it must, but 240 packages on one 15cwt van front seat included is one heck of a delivery load.  

White van man in a rush, you just gotta love 'em. Smiley