cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Is anyone else having trouble signing into this old piece of junk?
I have four core passwords that i use for forums, emails, twitter and anything else that isn't of a sensitive nature (I include emails in that as i never send personal details over it).
Anyway for the last year or two i've had trouble getting skype to let me sign in. I'll try all my passwords and get nowhere... then repeat and eventually it lets me sign in.
Recently it did an auto upgrade... and that seems to have been the update of doom for my skype because now i can't get in at all. To top it all off having searched my emails for anything from skype i have no signup email to confirm to skype for resetting my password - it could have been any of a number of email addresses i've had over the years  Roll eyes
Any other tales of woe?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
9 REPLIES
Mayfly
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Skype

I dislike Skype intensely, we always have problems with signing in and over Christmas couldn't get a connection at all [which may have been down to popular usage]. Very often the connection stalls and freezes.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Skype is indispensable for us to keep in touch with the grandkids. Works most of the time but sometimes requires a login for no apparent reason which causes panic for SWMBO. I control most of the passwords in our house but this is one the wife does on her iPad.
I think it's just a system function to lose infrequent users and dead registrations  Roll eyes
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

FaceTime is much better, but unfortunately only works with Apple phones and tablets etc. I do use it with my iPhone (4S) but its a fairly small screen size, but its nice to stay in touch with family in New Zealand.
Have Skype as well, but the same family in NZ have nothing but trouble with it. Although its always worked reasonably well for me.
There is apparently some software to adapt FaceTime for Android (amongst others), but there are also a lot of dire warnings not to do it
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

skype works fine for me, had the same account since pre-Microsoft (so none of the MSN to Skype "conversion process" which ballsed up a lot of peoples' accounts), never had an issue with it, just opened it up now, received an update, signed in no problem... Smiley
I'm also an infrequent user, and was technically a dead registration for a few years 'til I revived it last year... Grin
Mayfly
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

We use it for family in NZ so it may a problem at that end rather than this with the freezing etc but I would much prefer a phone call.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Mayfly
I dislike Skype intensely, we always have problems with signing in and over Christmas couldn't get a connection at all [which may have been down to popular usage]. Very often the connection stalls and freezes.

Like you i seriously dislike skype as i've always found it unreliable BUT it seems to be one of the few video calling programs that you can use on the PC aswell as on android.which obviously makes it appealing when you consider how many people use it for that same reason. My missus uses skype and will be going back to work soon while i'm at home with junior so i really wanted to able to stay in touch with her via video when she gets a break etc so that she can see our little fella (or more importantly he can see her!).
Anyway after finally accepting last night that it wasn't going to accept my password I finally took a stab in the dark at my registered email address and got that right so i've reset my password and logged in like that. I now have skype on my phone too.
Skype is one serious pain in the grass... and for that reason people flock to it like sheep. Just like a french car mannufacturer we all know...
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 125

Never had password problems with Skype.
Then again, I don't use it that often but when I do it just works as expected.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

I'm absolutely hacked off with Skype but for a different reason.
It's all the invites I get from some 'ladies' even though contact to me should only be from my contacts. Got 9 of the beggars on Sunday!
I only have half a dozen contacts too and connections are very, very, infrequent, maybe 6 or 7 a year.
This never happened before MS got hold of Skype.  Sad
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: NedLudd
This never happened before MS got hold of Skype.  Sad

But of course, with them giving Windows away for nowt, they've got to make their money back by selling people's contact details... Grin