cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky

sassy62
Grafter

Sky

Having an upgrade to sky plus on thurs which also includes multiroom..well, maybe...
Just found out you have to have both boxes attached to a phone point.
Now..I know that when you have sky for the first time you have to keep your box plugged into a phone socket for one year..but this is an upgrade, we dont use any of those services anyway.
They didnt tell us we needed it when it was ordered either...so the wife will be playing dumb (not hard!!) on the day.
The problem?...we dont want phone wire trailing through the house to the phone point which is in another room and about 25 feet away.
On the point of cancelling now..but we have decided to wait until the day to see if tey can come up with something
Has anyone else had this problem?
21 REPLIES
Moggy
Grafter

Re: Sky

The Peckham Pouncer
I've had Sky since the beginning and yes it was true that once upon a time you only needed to be connect by the phone lead for 1 year, however that has changed. Now it must be connected all the time. I too had a long extension to do but the Sky guy was brilliant and you wouldn't know the cable was there. I know Sky get kicked a lot, and maybe some is deserved, however I have always had good service and pleased to say so. And no I have no affiliation with Sky aprt from being a customer.
Community Veteran

I believe that Sky are picker about having telephone connections to both box's with multi room installations. As they don't want you using it as my front room in Peckham  and my front room in Spain!!!
Or giving the second box to a friend to use.
paulby
Grafter

Chily's right. 
With a normal single box installation you only need to have the phone connected for a year.
With multiroom you must have both boxes permanently connected to the phone line - and they're pretty strict (you'll be contacted if the boxes don't "phone home" from the correct number). 
It's done so that you don't just get a cheap subscription for a second box and install it elsewhere (holiday home for example).
sassy62
Grafter

Thanks for the comments
Just rang them to confirm...when you say that you want to cancel they put you through to the sweet talkers..
The guy was OK about it..he said it was so they could keep tabs on the extra box in case it was split with next door..a phone line is the only way to do it.
I tried calling their bluff by saying 'ok cancel the lot'..but unfortunatly he said ok! .... Undecided
I then back tracked a little and offered a compromise...no multiroom..but allow us to have the box for the same price (it was a condition that it was that price only as part of a multiroom deal)
Then we will see what the engineer can do for us... Wink
Community Veteran

The main answer FREESAT a one off fee and the rest is free. I am thinking of jumping ship its should have over 200 channels soon as well plus HD
http://freesat.co.uk/index.php?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=freesat+connection&utm_camp...
techguy
Grafter

Its not the government we should fear, its these media barons that worry me....
If you are paying the sub and aren't trying to crack the encryption on their conditional access module what the hell does it matter where you use it.
If I was paying that much for TV and paying a sub for a second box (whether discounted or not) I'd expect the right to use it in my holiday home in Antarctica  if I want.
I'm still lining his pockets to watch repeats so why should he care or tell me what I should do with the box/sub I'm paying for.
Only thing that would persuade me to get Sky would be golf but I have better things to do with my hard earned right now.

N/A

When I had my Multiroom installed I was in a similar position.
The installer is obliged to ensure that you have a phnoe line in the second location, and if you don't, he has to install one. (the traditional cowboy style stapled to the skirting kind of extension!)
I persuaded my installer that I was installing a permanent 'proper' extension that weekend, so he used a temporary one to set up and test the box, and left me without the ugly extension running upstairs.
After 3 months I got a letter from Sky telling me that if my box wasn't connected to a phone line within the next x (I forget how many) days, they would be charging me the full price for the second box subscription that they were previously waiving (additional £10/mth)
Needless to say I got busy and put in proper Cat5 phone extensions to my second box pretty sharpish.
johpal
Grafter

I used to be a Sky customer, but found it less and less interesting (as did my family). Eventually, only my daughter used to watch cartoons. She was quickly persuaded to abandon her habit when I offered to increase her pocket money by giving her half the saved monthly subscription!  Another saving was on phone bills by removing the impulse to "Press the red button to vote now". I was able to get rid of the unsightly additional phone socket and cable (we use cordless phones about the house).
Freeview currently fills our needs, but I am interested in HD, that Freeview cannot presently cater for (and will need another set-top box for when it can). Looking at the Freesat site recently, there are many more SD channels than before, but only 2 HD (BBC and ITV) whose output is limited and I can find no information on the website as to when others are likely to be added, so it too is a non-starter, for the time being.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I've been a Sky "customer" for 8 years in this house, and for longer at a previous address. My contract is of the type that "allows" me to disconnect the phone line but, I haven't as, I do occasionally switch between views using the red button with things multi-screen for some sports events like snooker, and the recent Olympics (although I hasten to add I definitely don't use it for voting!!!) Am I wrong in thinking that I would lose the multi-screen facility if I disconnected the phone line?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I've never been a Sky customer - but have used it quite a lot at other preimises - so I'm aware of what channels it has.
I just fundermenatly object to the monopoly of satellite TV they have had until recently and particularly the company that owns it.
I accept that for some people like avid sports and movie fans it can be a real benefit.
I have heard though that it is a good idea to have the system installed by indepenadant local dealers - as they are more flexible in dish location and such things. Find one locally at http://www.cai.org.uk/asp/installer.asp
One day I will get freeSat - it's just inertia stopping me for now  Undecided
paulby
Grafter

Am I wrong in thinking that I would lose the multi-screen facility if I disconnected the phone line?

Yes!  Multiscreen wll work just fine with the phone line disconnected - as will most red button stuff.
You only need the phone connected fo anything that requres the box to go on line.  If the box needs to dial out, you'll be told before it does as it will ask your permison!
techguy
Grafter

I'll be going down the freeview route as Virgin Media wont upgrade the cable round here.
paulby
Grafter

It's Sky or Freesat round here for me as Virgin (Telewest at the time) stopped laying the cable about 200 metres up the road (one end of the street has cable, the other doesn't!!).
We're also in a dip and shielded form the local TV transmitter so Freeview is very hit and miss (if it works at all).
Community Veteran

Quote from: techguy
I'll be going down the freeview route as Virgin Media wont upgrade the cable round here.

I've even heard of instances of Virgin digital being available in one house but not next door, and then won't even lay in a connection from your local pavement box.
Something to do with people in the house declining it when the syetm was installed - and even people moving in can't get it.
strange way to do business - but good for Plusnet  Smiley